Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

map updates!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if my problem is related to the recent map update or recent software update, but last night all of the place names on my centre screen were blurry. I rebooted both screens but this didn't resolve the problem. Lighting was in night mode. Today I'll see if the words are blurred on daytime brightness as well.
Guess I should post this on the 7.1 update thread also.

Received notification and installed Tesla firmware version 7.1 build 2.12.126 at home 6:45AM Thursday morning via WiFi. Drove to appointments and returned home to WiFi around 3:30 PM. Got notification that Map Updates had been installed on 17" display when I got into Tesla to go out for dinner at 6:45 PM. Guessing the Map Update came in over WiFi but could have been OTA since I still get 2 bars of 3G inside our garage.

Anyone received two (or more) OTA map updates? I received a map update about a year and a half ago, but nothing since.

I got my map update last week. Maps seem to be more up to date but at least a year behind. For example the Hwy 404 extension from Green Lane to Ravenshoe is now present BUT the jog elimination in Barrie of Maple View Drive and County Road 27 in still not there. Can't really blame Tesla for this since the navigation maps are from Navteq via Navigon. Now my stand alone GPS with latest (Navteq 2015.Q2) maps available also still shows the aforementioned jog.
Conclusion: Navteq cannot show the new information if the municipality or jurisdiction involved has not made the relevant new data available.

PS: All this guessing at map level and what is what we got updated could be clarified via some short and to the point communication from Tesla stating map level just like other Navigation companies do.

Last edited:
Anyone received two (or more) OTA map updates? I received a map update about a year and a half ago, but nothing since.
Yes, I received a 2nd map update within the past week or so. It must have downloaded several hours before it notified me, because it told me when I returned to my car, and I had been parked all day in my garage at work with no cellular or wifi service.

I received a map update and noticed a change on RT 13 in the Eastern Shore of Virginia and Maryland. The road has many divided sections, but before the update, autopilot was restricting speed. With the new maps I did not observe any restrictions when it shouldn't. Maybe the reason for the map updates is to improve the accuracy of what roads are divided. This would address some of the concerns about inaccurate maps triggering autopilot restrictions.

Yes, I received a 2nd map update within the past week or so. It must have downloaded several hours before it notified me, because it told me when I returned to my car, and I had been parked all day in my garage at work with no cellular or wifi service.

Thanks all for confirming. My first and only update came also after being parked for quite a while with only 3G access.

My maps were updated a few days ago. Yesterday I noticed something I'd not seen before.

When I have the satellite view turned on the credit line at the bottom right of the screen reads:

"Imagery ©2016, DigitalGlobe, State of Utah, USDA Farm Service Agency Map data ©2016 Google"

But when I switch from satellite view to map view the credit line changes to:

"Map data ©2016 Google"

Anyone know what those lines read before the recent updates?

Also, I've seen mentions in this thread of people receiving two map updates. Perchance are those two the same two I described above?

Years ago, there was a way to submit map changes to Navteq or Navigon.
Is that map-update service still working?

Some GPS Nav units even allowed you to patch your own maps, in
your own unit, but I do not recall if there was a way go "submit"
those "fixes" ... which would have helped the mapping folks,
one would think.
Now the best map is the crowd sourced Waze map.

The navigation map update only affects the Navigon maps displayed on the dashboard.

Maps displayed on the 17" touchscreen are from Google. Road changes are typically reflected on the Google maps almost immediately. The satellite images can be a few months out of date.

And where there are road changes made in the last 12 to 18 months, it's likely the Google maps will show the changes and the navigation maps will not.

The copyrights are likely for the Google maps - and not for the navigation maps (those maps are more likely copyright 2014 or 2015).

The navigation map update only affects the Navigon maps displayed on the dashboard.

Maps displayed on the 17" touchscreen are from Google. Road changes are typically reflected on the Google maps almost immediately. The satellite images can be a few months out of date.

And where there are road changes made in the last 12 to 18 months, it's likely the Google maps will show the changes and the navigation maps will not.

The copyrights are likely for the Google maps - and not for the navigation maps (those maps are more likely copyright 2014 or 2015).

Exactly, Google maps are one thing and our turn by turn navigation maps (Garmin/Navigon) are another. The Google copyright date is not an indication of the map data update. Here's a screenshot from my iPhone of Google traffic. Note the copyright date.
c48b02e1068aa31d15bc2a7bdd50d5b9.jpg