Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map Zoom on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all.

There seems to be some similar threads about this, but after reading them and following the advice, I am still stumped?!

When using the Nav (or even just the basic map display), it will not stay zoomed in.

I have played with the "north up" & "heading up" settings and both the full expanded and minimised route instruction menu. I know that when you pinch and zoom, it doesn't track the car, and according to both advice on here and in the owner's manual (shown below), the + & - buttons should allow for the zoom level to be kept and also track the car.

nav.jpg

No matter what I do, it zooms back out after a few seconds, or pops up with the "tracking disabled" message.

Is the owners manual wrong? Or should I raise as a bug report? Very annoying when you want a clearer view of a busy/complicated junction, but the map wants to show me a 1 mile radius instead?!

Last edited:
The map does autozoom as you approach junctions on heading up view. The issue is more whether it's enough for you and/or the lack of user controllability.

I personally find it fine, but I can understand why some might find the 'Tesla knows best' approach irksome.
I find it too zoomed out to see how many exits a roundabout has which I find a problem since the voice commands in relation to which exit to take cannot be relied upon to be accurate.

Reactions: Simonix
I find it too zoomed out to see how many exits a roundabout has which I find a problem since the voice commands in relation to which exit to take cannot be relied upon to be accurate.
Exactly this! This is my issue. In all my cars, I have always preferred to switch off the voice directions, and glance at the map/instructions instead.

Having some bloody robot interrupting my music to tell me to "turn left" or whatever, has always been irritating, no matter what car it is.

Ok, just had another play.

It seems to stay zoomed in when not navigating.

However, as soon as it’s routing, it will zoom out UNLESS it’s in the North up setting.

Seems it doesn’t like it in the heading up setting?

Exactly this! This is my issue. In all my cars, I have always preferred to switch off the voice directions, and glance at the map/instructions instead.

Having some bloody robot interrupting my music to tell me to "turn left" or whatever, has always been irritating, no matter what car it is.
I was not joking either it cannot count anyway and regularly tells you the wrong exit on roundabouts even though the map ( which is too small to read) is showing the right one. Having said that the map occasionally tells you to go around roundabouts the wrong way which is not ideal either.