TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Mapbox Wants To Build Better Maps For Autonomous Cars - Forbes

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by jvonbokel, Jun 6, 2016.

1. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

Just read this article and I can't help but wonder if their "undisclosed auto partnership" will be Tesla. The quote below specifically mentions data coming from the car's cameras. Surely other auto companies have cars equipped with cameras, but naturally Tesla was the first one that came to my mind. I also found that DFJ has a representative (Randy Glein) on MapBox's board.

"The company claims to have collected more than 100 million miles of telemetry data last week and is on the way to doubling that weekly figure by the end of the summer.
    Recommended by Forbes

The startup also said it has an undisclosed auto partnership to include its maps in a car scheduled to be released sometime this year. With this partnership, Mapbox will start incorporating data coming off this car’s cameras to get higher quality mapping data."

Source: Mapbox Wants To Build Better Maps For Autonomous Cars

• Informative x 1
  2. 9837264723849

9837264723849 Member

3. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

Exactly. And a couple of those images reminded me of this shot from a recent electrek article about Tesla's Autopilot.

[​IMG]

Granted, this could easily just be coincidental, since both images are intended to represent the same thing, but when I read the part about in-car cameras, I couldn't help but wonder.