Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

maps and new UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
have watched video on electrek and what i don't like is on highway no signs of upper panels on the road anymore
it s quite difficult on some highways to know where and when to change line so i really miss this ( wicth is on all other gps and big enough on screen to catch your attention)

Reactions: Mknac
have watched video on electrek and what i don't like is on highway no signs of upper panels on the road anymore
it s quite difficult on some highways to know where and when to change line so i really miss this ( wicth is on all other gps and big enough on screen to catch your attention)

I agree. I didn't see your post and made a silimar post.

I specifically asked and had this feature demonstrated to me before I purchased my model S.

It seems like a backward move to me. Having a second road map isn't very helpful in situations on major interstates interchanges with multiple lanes if you aren't familiar with that area.

How can we let Tesla know that we want that feature?

We're dealing with software based systems.

If some people don't like the large road signs - why can't this be a configurable option?

While I agree the signs take over the navigation space on the dashboard, I like to have them there, because they make it easy to quickly get confirmation I'm in the correct lane. We rarely have the voice system enabled - so we need some visual indication of which lanes we should be in - prior to hitting an intersection.

One concern about the new navigation software...

It appears it is being deployed first in the Model 3. The model 3 doesn't have a dashboard - and sometime next year, there will be more 3's on the road than S/X combined. How much effort will Tesla invest in providing a high quality and functional dashboard navigation display, when they know most of their vehicles will not have dashboards???

Reactions: croman
We're dealing with software based systems.

If some people don't like the large road signs - why can't this be a configurable option?

While I agree the signs take over the navigation space on the dashboard, I like to have them there, because they make it easy to quickly get confirmation I'm in the correct lane. We rarely have the voice system enabled - so we need some visual indication of which lanes we should be in - prior to hitting an intersection.

One concern about the new navigation software...

It appears it is being deployed first in the Model 3. The model 3 doesn't have a dashboard - and sometime next year, there will be more 3's on the road than S/X combined. How much effort will Tesla invest in providing a high quality and functional dashboard navigation display, when they know most of their vehicles will not have dashboards???

My Prius had a centrally mounted navigation display, just like my Highlander. It's not an issue. You don't need navigation to appear in an instrument cluster. Central is fine.

My Prius had a centrally mounted navigation display, just like my Highlander. It's not an issue. You don't need navigation to appear in an instrument cluster. Central is fine.

The issue isn't where it appears but that they might be removing a feature some (many) people want.

Perhaps it can be designed to be a feature you can activate or disable based on your preference.

Um, perhaps I'm not understanding your post, but removing Nav directions from the IC would be a huge mistake. It's been a feature since day 1 and I sure would sorely miss it if removed. It's safer too since you don't have to look down and to the right to the CID, thereby taking your eyes off the road.

I like the older version better. I really like the virtual overhead signs. Sort of like flying under instrument conditions. :)

+1. I saw the video too and it was the first thing I noticed.

While it's annoying that the maps used on the dashboard display (which appear to be from late 2015) and different from the Google maps displayed on the console (which are usually within days of being up-to-date), the dashboard navigation display is useful, because it allows quick view of the upcoming route, without diverting attention to the center console.

Of course, with the Model 3, there won't be a dashboard - and Model 3 drivers will have to look to the center console for everything - including current speed and the navigation routing.

Having the dashboard display is one of the upgraded features of the S/X - and hopefully Tesla will not eliminate it when the number of S/X cars get overwhelmed by the volume of 3/Y cars (without a dashboard display).

Sad. These guys are obviously not using focus groups. I imagine that if they did, 95% of owners would prefer the current depiction of proper lane selection. On a dangerously overcrowded freeway, I need a system that tells me in a very brief glance where I should be. The new system does NOT do that. I can only hope that this travesty is not foisted upon us, but it appears that it will be.
Man, it sucks to be at the mercy of software engineers who are idiot savants -- i.e., able to converse with machines much better than they can with real people.

Reactions: croman and GaryREM
One of the big reasons why that video was made is to highlight that issue before it's too late. So contact Tesla and let them know how much you value this feature, I guess.

Also this is not just a Model 3 thing, this is the default UI in Taiwan now (but they have not see anything else to compare to).

• Love
Reactions: Mknac and croman
Agree this is a big miss. On my previous BMW the 3D rendering of the highway intersection with the lanes and large above road panels use to appear in the dashboard splitting the map area in 2 - left the 3D, right the map. After passing the intersection, the map reverted to full screen. I think that should be relatively easy to emulate on the single display of Model 3 - Tesla can implement it.

Agree this is a big miss. On my previous BMW the 3D rendering of the highway intersection with the lanes and large above road panels use to appear in the dashboard splitting the map area in 2 - left the 3D, right the map. After passing the intersection, the map reverted to full screen. I think that should be relatively easy to emulate on the single display of Model 3 - Tesla can implement it.

Tesla MS and MX has this feature. M3 does not.

They are testing a Nav UI without it so all are like the M3.

MS and MX owners need to speak up to a Tesla to keep this feature. The S and the X are supposed to have more features. This should be one of those differentiating features.

• Disagree
Reactions: nico180

They are not testing the new nav UI, seems to be pretty finalized and this UI is currently your only option in Taiwan on S/X, I suspect the licensing agreement with Navigon did not yet run out and that's why it's not yet the default in other places.

This is not to say they cannot further change it of course.

• Informative
Reactions: Mknac

MS and MX owners need to speak up to a Tesla to keep this feature. The S and the X are supposed to have more features. This should be one of those differentiating features.

My Model S does not have this feature on the central touchscreen - only on the left of dash screen displaying the Navigon hard drive-based map. Of course Model 3 not having a second dash screen cannot display that way. They need to integrate it in the main screen Navigation UI.