Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

maps are zoomed out too far when not using navigation (all of a sudden)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was away for 5 days and did not use my car, and now I notice that unless I am using navigation to go to a destination, when on the highway, the maps are zoomed out so far, that I see roughly a 100 mile by 100 mile area.
If I zoom in, it stays zoomed in, but the car location will not stay in the middle. It will move, while the map stays static.
On local roads it is normal size, but most of the streets are no longer listed.

I have the LR AWD.
It happens with both regular maps and satellite maps.
Did I miss something?

When you zoom in, do you use the + on the screen or do you use a hand gestures to zoom in? By using the + on screen, it'll make the zoom fixed at desire level. Also, next tap on whether or not you want trip, facing north, or facing traveling direction button to center the car cursor. I was experiencing similar issue as you during the new ownership until I was playing around with it.

When you zoom in, do you use the + on the screen or do you use a hand gestures to zoom in? By using the + on screen, it'll make the zoom fixed at desire level. Also, next tap on whether or not you want trip, facing north, or facing traveling direction button to center the car cursor. I was experiencing similar issue as you during the new ownership until I was playing around with it.

Thanks. Will try, but it never happened before in my 9 months of ownership.
I was using hand gestures to zoom.

Didn't really fix it. I did the + for zoom and yes, on highway, now I don't see the 10000 square mile view, but on street driving, it worked, but then when I came to a stop light, it zoomed back out to the point that not a single street name was listed. I guess I can try the hard reset of brake a two button press. I'll try that tonight. Sounds like an issue since I haven't seen a single person report this yet. A google search also showed up nothing.

I saw this yesterday. Normally nav is just on - either calendar based or w/e, but driving locally yesterday, my daughter noted "your car doesn't know where it is." and sure enough, it had zoomed out a really far overview with my little red marker meaninglessly in the middle of it. She hit the address in the favs, and all was well.

So, no idea why or when it started, but confirming with no destination set, my map zoomed out too.

I saw this yesterday. Normally nav is just on - either calendar based or w/e, but driving locally yesterday, my daughter noted "your car doesn't know where it is." and sure enough, it had zoomed out a really far overview with my little red marker meaninglessly in the middle of it. She hit the address in the favs, and all was well.

So, no idea why or when it started, but confirming with no destination set, my map zoomed out too.

Thanks, this reassures me that it wasn't always like that and I never noticed. I could have had mini-stroke and not realized.