Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maps - how to update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my M3 performance on Saturday.
Blue, black interior. Great car and getting to know it thoroughly now.

One thing, the maps seem to out of date. We've had a lot of work of late in the Cambridge (A14) area but the map doesn't applied these changes to the navigation. I was under the impression this was BASED on Google Maps, rather than being the ACTUAL Google Map app.

Has anyone else noticed map-reality variations and if so, how do we update?

Thanks
Beej

Map updates will be pushed to your car automatically when available. You can check the map version (and if there's an update pending) in the software subsection of the cars menu.

There was a map update last month which was then pulled so anyone that had downloaded it reverted to the previous version. Not sure what happened there or when the next update will be.

OK, thanks.
A map update last month would have pulled in all the new roads, shame.

Not necessarily. The map update caused all sorts of problems (50 mph speed limits on motorways for example) and people reported that new roads hadn't been added. I never rely on car sat nav alone - there's nothing I've found that beats a combination of TomTom (especially for traffic diversion) and Waze (for local knowledge). Just need more screens, iPad holders etc in the Tesla!!

I've always used GMaps on my phone so it's disappointing to hear the car version is not updated as quickly as the app.

We've had major roadworks that have just completed so the roads are all different. It's OK for me, I'm local but non-locals will find it a nightmare to navigate around here if they only reply on the car's map.

The maps you see in the car, visually, are still definitely live google maps. The logo is still there bottom-right.

the map used for navigation/ETA are different, you don’t see those, only the route overlay from them. You can tell they’re different if you look at the route on a recently changed road e.g.

C2ADA063-8B51-4D16-9C58-C9A0E7C1411D.jpeg

Last edited:
The NAVIGATION DATA was pulled but the satellite maps tiles have changed recently (around 2 month ago). My house shows my extension now (never used to) and a few other roads have changed like a new access road work.

I've always used GMaps on my phone so it's disappointing to hear the car version is not updated as quickly as the app.

We've had major roadworks that have just completed so the roads are all different. It's OK for me, I'm local but non-locals will find it a nightmare to navigate around here if they only reply on the car's map.
I don't think that's half the issue. When fsd is released properly we'll it relies a bit on GPS for routing so if it can't pik the best route cos new roads let it what's the point?

9 moths after OP and the A14 mapping around Cambridge is still appalling. When travelling in that region I turn off ALL driving aids. It advises to use non-existent roads and I get unwarranted rapid breaking. I would have though correct navigation would be a prime goal with Tesla as without it there is not chance of FSD.

At lest with other vehicles you have the option of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Last edited:
9 moths after OP and the A14 mapping around Cambridge is still appalling. When travelling in that region I turn off ALL driving aids. It advises to use non-existent roads and I get unwarranted rapid breaking. I would have though correct navigation would be a prime goal with Tesla as without it there is not chance of FSD.

At lest with other vehicles you have the option of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
True, I live in Longstanton and the roads around the new A14 junctions haven't all been updated into the maps. Obviously I know the roads myself without any aids but it's still annoying to find that at the Bar Hill junction (jn 25), the map still tries to send me the old way on/off this junction. The routes are all updated on Google Maps.