TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Maps in 'gray' areas

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by smartypnz, Jan 16, 2015.

1. smartypnz

smartypnz Member

I drive down the coast of Central California often. One loses 3G quite readily and I have noticed that my maps go haywire - sometimes the car spins on the Nav screen. I know that 3G was required for map updating, but I have the Tech pkg - I was under the impression that Maps were loaded onto the hard drive. I mean, didn't we recently get a Map update download? GPS should be good there - it always was in my other cars. Just can't access map refreshing.

2. swaltner

swaltner Member

My understanding is that the 17" touchscreen is always driven by Google Maps. This does not get saved locally, so you need a live internet connection for the main screen to work. The map on the instrument cluster that shows turn-by-turn navigation is what is driven by the on-board maps. This will continue to work for navigation w/o 3G access.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I believe you are correct. Note: you need to be sure to enter your nav destination while you have Internet access. Once the destination is in the nav your driver display nav will continue to work and provide you with instructions during periods when the car is offline.

4. smartypnz

smartypnz Member

Thing is.... the Nav kept trying to take me back to Monterey Peninsula and down Hwy 101. By the time I was past the 'failsafe point', 3G signal was gone.