Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maps SD Card fault - would MCU1 upgrade fix it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

My 2016 Model S (85D) is showing the 'Navigation Error' when I try and set a destination. This is a fairly common fault - the SD Card that the maps download to is full up or corrupt so it needs to be replaced.

This is different to the eMMC problem (which I've already had done under warranty).

Tesla want £400 to pop a new SD Card in, so I was considering the MCU1 upgrade for £1400 ... but unsure if the MCU upgrade would also fix my SD Card problem.

Any wisdom out there? Or sensible knowledge? I'm not sure how much of the MCU unit is replaced in the upgrade. Thanks everyone.

Hi Everyone,

My 2016 Model S (85D) is showing the 'Navigation Error' when I try and set a destination. This is a fairly common fault - the SD Card that the maps download to is full up or corrupt so it needs to be replaced.

This is different to the eMMC problem (which I've already had done under warranty).

Tesla want £400 to pop a new SD Card in, so I was considering the MCU1 upgrade for £1400 ... but unsure if the MCU upgrade would also fix my SD Card problem.

Any wisdom out there? Or sensible knowledge? I'm not sure how much of the MCU unit is replaced in the upgrade. Thanks everyone.
I have exactly the same problem in my 2016 MS 90D. Very annoying. But FWIW Tesla have quoted me £193 to replace the SD card (still extortionate, but saying it's mostly labour of having to pull out the screen etc), and I'm having it done at Heathrow next week. Might be worth you pushing again, as difference in cars surely can't causing £200 more cost.... hope that helps.

Hello guys,

I did it my self.
Tesla asked me 150€ (fair price according to me) to do it and finally I just need a couple of hour to remove the screen, change the SDCard save it and put a new one.

It's not so complex and you can found videos on Youtube which explain how to remove it..
But yes a bit time consuming.
So Tesla can justify the price of a bit more than 1 hour spent on this job.

Hi, I also did it myself. Check 2-3 videos on YT on how you remove the trim, and you only need to incline the MCU a little, no need to detach any cables.
Prying tools would be highly recommended, as working with the correct tools makes it easier. There is another thread talking about this issue and in there someone also posted the map data navmicrosd_EU-2019.20-10482.bin so if this is the version you currently have, you could even have an microSD card already prepared for swapping.

It requires a bit of patience and seeing the car with the all the trim removed is not for everyone :)