Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maps Traffic Not Exactly Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently updated to 2018.21.9. I have noticed that when displaying the traffic overlay onto the map/navigation, it quite often shows green and not much traffic. I am in SoCal. It is actually misleading because only when I pinch and zoom in then all of a sudden most of the freeway traffic shows red. This is not normal as I have used Google maps app on my iphone and even on my M3 before the update. Normally by zooming in and out it will change slightly in terms of the detail and how "red/green" a freeway is. But even one zoom in or out at certain level changes the entire map of SoCal to primarily red or green. When this originally happened and I didn't know, I was wondering why traffic was so light and all freeways were green....until I got on the freeway and found it was packed. That's when I started to zoom in and realized this bug from this latest M3 updates. Has anyone seen this? I use this every single day to determine which freeway to commute and this is definitely something they need to fix, but it's a matter of when. I wonder if there's a way to notify bugs like this to Tesla.

Reactions: apacheguy
(sorry for the mis-post above, I guess you can't edit your posts after the fact?)
I'm having a problem with my maps, but not quite the same as described above. In my case, there seems to be a long delay before the traffic gets updated. When I drove to work this morning, I noticed that the map showed the afternoon traffic pattern (presumably from the night before). I didn't see it update at all during my 25 min drive to work. Then when I got in to drive home this afternoon, it was showing the morning traffic pattern, which also did not update at all during my drive home and running errands afterwards. I tried turning the traffic display on and off, with no change in behavior.

(sorry for the mis-post above, I guess you can't edit your posts after the fact?)
I'm having a problem with my maps, but not quite the same as described above. In my case, there seems to be a long delay before the traffic gets updated. When I drove to work this morning, I noticed that the map showed the afternoon traffic pattern (presumably from the night before). I didn't see it update at all during my 25 min drive to work. Then when I got in to drive home this afternoon, it was showing the morning traffic pattern, which also did not update at all during my drive home and running errands afterwards. I tried turning the traffic display on and off, with no change in behavior.

You can’t edit your posts until you reach at least 10 posts or something like that (not sure on the exact number). Anyway, welcome to TMC!

You mentioned turning the traffic on and off. Did you try zooming in or out? That seems to force the traffic info to update on the map.

You mentioned turning the traffic on and off. Did you try zooming in or out? That seems to force the traffic info to update on the map.
Yeah, I did try zooming in and out once, I'll try that again though. I noted when I zoomed out, that the traffic highlighting was only showing on the portion of the screen that was visible in the previous zoom view. It didn't update in the rest of the zoomed out view. It was acting like it just couldn't get any new cell data at the moment. But meanwhile my music is still streaming, so it seems like the data connection was still up. And this kept up for at least 30 min on my drive home, in an area of San Diego that has no cell coverage problems.

Yeah, I did try zooming in and out once, I'll try that again though. I noted when I zoomed out, that the traffic highlighting was only showing on the portion of the screen that was visible in the previous zoom view. It didn't update in the rest of the zoomed out view. It was acting like it just couldn't get any new cell data at the moment. But meanwhile my music is still streaming, so it seems like the data connection was still up. And this kept up for at least 30 min on my drive home, in an area of San Diego that has no cell coverage problems.

Probably not a bad idea to reboot the MCU by holding down both scroll wheel buttons on the steering wheel. That can fix a lot of issues.

I have the same issue that the map is not updating/refreshing. I called Tesla and after a 30 minutes wait they didn't know why. They later sent me this e-mail.

--------------------
Hello Mr. Nguyen,

I spoke to you earlier about the map/navigation issues with the traffic not updating. I messaged my Advanced Vehicle Support Team about your concern and I was informed this is the expected behavior since the latest firmware update. The traffic will update only if the customer has a route planned but it will not be available if the customer is just driving around. This is apparently a performance update to help promote efficiency in our navigation system to promote better loading of data and performance of the navigation system.

If you would like to provide feedback or suggestions about this change or other improvements to our navigation, please send an email to [email protected].

Brad Smith | Service Support
6900 Dumbarton Circle, Fremont, CA 94555
p. (877) 798-3752 | [email protected]
------------------------

I am very upset that Tesla decided to render my navigation practically useless with this update. I'm sure there are still a lot of bandwidth to be spare. Worst come to worse, charge me a fee and let me have live traffic info. BTW the actual map would NOT update even if you are using the navigation feature.

I have the same issue, I was hoping the latest update would fix it, but alas no. I'm driving with a route in the nav about 95% of the time even when I know where I'm going to see the traffic. It loads the traffic fine, but never updates for the length of the journey... very frustrating.

An interesting note is that it does seem to update/change my route in transit based on changing traffic, for example, in my 30 mile trip back and forth to work, the highway may be green, but the route will change as I'm driving which seems weird. When I checked traffic on my phone, there was indeed a sudden backup on my current route that the car seemed to know about, but didnt change the color of the route...

I received the same response from Tesla as ABCDent. Telling me it works as designed now.
Completely useless to have traffic data that does not update. And their assertion is that it only updates when you enter a route. Which is not true when I test that theory.

Something is going on. The traffic icon is missing from the in car manual now as well.

We have no expectation of the new Nav becoming operational in NZ any time soon and the old one does not use the traffic information. So the theory that it is only update when you enter a router is even less sensible.

Could it be to do with the recent increase by Google for accessing the maps data?