Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maps update, failed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is it's a race condition: there's an integrity check on the maps that's finishing before the map data is fully loaded. It throws the warning as, accurately, the map data isn't loaded (yet), but then when the data actually finishes loading, now things are OK so the warning goes away.

My guess is it's a race condition: there's an integrity check on the maps that's finishing before the map data is fully loaded. It throws the warning as, accurately, the map data isn't loaded (yet), but then when the data actually finishes loading, now things are OK so the warning goes away.
That sounds right, however i've never seen it in the past when rebooting and the timing with the new maps and the update I just got a few days ago make me suspect it may be a little more than that.

BTW, regardless if it's an integrity check, they could improve the messaging by saying that the maps are still loading or something along those lines until integrity check completes rather than saying that the car needs service.

I've had 14.2 for a couple days, when I started the car I got the nav error message. Today I went into the car and got a new release notes message which included "Navigation Beta" but the maps have not changed. If Navigation Beta is added to release notes should I be seeing the new maps in the MCU?

no just the dash

I took my Model S for service for another issue and I asked them to update the firmware and download the new maps. I just got my car back and they said they updated to the latest firmware 2018.16 and they downloaded the maps for me. I don't notice any difference with both mcu and instrument cluster maps. I asked the person helping me and he said that the maps on the mcu and instrument cluster would be the same because I have a pre-autopilot car. They only difference from old to new maps would be on the back end. Is this true or was only the firmware updated and the maps not downloaded? Is there anyway to check if I have the new maps in the settings?

The console maps are downloaded from Google in real-time.

For NAV 1.0 - the navigation maps are used for routing and are only visible on the dashboard while on a route. In areas with changes over the last 2 years, you'll end up with inconsistencies between the Google console map and the dashboard navigation map for the route ahead. This can also affect routing - the navigation software is using US map data that's 2 years old.

For NAV 2.0 - Tesla has shifted to using online routing. This should provide more accurate routing, using up-to-date map data, that should be close to what the Google maps are showing (which is usually updated quickly after road changes). There is still an onboard navigation map database. I'm assuming that onboard NAV maps are still used for displaying the dashboard map - and for routing when online routing is disabled or unavailable.

Now that Tesla is supposed to have more control over the navigation software with NAV 2.0, they really need to reconsider the strategy for the onboard navigation maps. Most of the onboard map database will never be used - because it contains detailed map data for entire regions (such as the entire US or possibly even North America). Since almost all routing is done within a 150 mile radius of the car's overnight position - it would be much more efficient for Tesla to distribute only the nearby map data (300-400 mile radius), and then download additional map data either when the car is moving close to the edge of that area or a route is entered outside of the area.

This would be a huge reduction in the amount of map data stored in each car - which would make the map updates much faster, and should make it easier for Tesla to push out more frequent updates to the onboard map data.

Updating the entire map database is a throwback to the first generation navigation systems that stored the data on optical disks or hard disks, requiring updates by replacing the optical disks or a service center downloading new map data to the onboard system.