Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We live in a new real estate development that is rapidly adding new roads.

Each time a new road opens, the Google maps picks up the road very quickly - updates their maps - and starts showing real-time traffic data.

Because the Navigon maps aren't updated frequently (still waiting for the recent update, so we're on maps that are likely almost 2 years old), the navigation software doesn't know about the new streets, so it won't route using those streets - and when we try to use those when going to/from our house, the navigation software goes crazy routing us through the nearest streets that exist on their maps.

When we got our Tesla 3 years ago, the awkward implementation with Navigon for navigation and Google maps on the console was OK - since the software was new, and it was understandable that some compromises were made in order to get the software working for the early production cars.

But we're approaching 4 years since the first production car - and we still have this awkward navigation software - using two sets of maps, and limited functionality (possibly caused by trying to use Google maps for the display instead of Navigon). Tesla really needs to fix this - and provide a better navigation system.

Though, for now, I would at least like to see the new maps - and hopefully it will fix the problem the navigation software has with my street - where the software thinks it take 4 minutes to drive the first few feet when I turn onto the street with our house.

We live in a new real estate development that is rapidly adding new roads.

Each time a new road opens, the Google maps picks up the road very quickly - updates their maps - and starts showing real-time traffic data.

Because the Navigon maps aren't updated frequently (still waiting for the recent update, so we're on maps that are likely almost 2 years old), the navigation software doesn't know about the new streets, so it won't route using those streets - and when we try to use those when going to/from our house, the navigation software goes crazy routing us through the nearest streets that exist on their maps.

When we got our Tesla 3 years ago, the awkward implementation with Navigon for navigation and Google maps on the console was OK - since the software was new, and it was understandable that some compromises were made in order to get the software working for the early production cars.

But we're approaching 4 years since the first production car - and we still have this awkward navigation software - using two sets of maps, and limited functionality (possibly caused by trying to use Google maps for the display instead of Navigon). Tesla really needs to fix this - and provide a better navigation system.

Though, for now, I would at least like to see the new maps - and hopefully it will fix the problem the navigation software has with my street - where the software thinks it take 4 minutes to drive the first few feet when I turn onto the street with our house.
I wouldn't hold my breath that map updates will include your new home. Maybe, but maybe not. My past experience living in two different new developments is it has taken 3-4 years to get newer subdevelopments onto the Nav maps within my Lexus and MBZ. Freeway changes, etc were a lot faster. Issue is just the companies that provide the maps to auto mfgrs, don't provide them real-time, but sort of batch them up, then it gets into a cycle with the auto mfgr for packaging and distribution, and well, you end up with a long time. What I was able to do on my former Lexus that didn't know the couple of streets into my development was input my home as a personal point of interest by touching the screen when I was sitting in my driveway, and it recorded the latitude and longitude of the location which I set as my Home. The Lexus Nav was smart enough to know part of the route was off what it knew about, but provided the directions for the rest of the way. For me, that was an OK workaround, but as you say, our Tesla's are lacking some basic Nav functionality to even get that far.

Haven't gotten any map updates since picking up my car this past July. Coincidentally enough, the first time the directions were wrong due to old map data was when I was driving to tesla Cleveland the other day.

There haven't been any map updates since then, except for the one that people started to report this week. Until now there had only been 1 update, I think it was in 2014.

the navigation software goes crazy routing us through the nearest streets that exist on their maps.

Brings to mind a stretch of I-40 between Barstow and Needles. The freeway has been under construction for a couple of years, and they have re-routed westbound traffic over to the eastbound lanes, which is separated by several hundred yards. The Nav system goes nuts, thinking we are now traveling the wrong way on a divided highway. Understandable. But a 1/2 mile later when you are rerouted back over to the original westbound lanes, the Nav system refuses to accept that change, and continues to try and direct us to do a U-Turn and head back to Barstow. First time it happened it scared the s*** out of me as my predicated range dropped to a minus number with all the warnings. This has been the case for about 2 years.

I received my update today, and have noticed some improvements with roads that have been updated.

The easiest way to tell that I have a new version, is that the instrument console now shows blue arrows to indicate what lane I should take.

ed18dd965c892f5e02db47b154d05572.jpg

In any navigation program, house numbers are an approximation because only house number ranges for a street are in the Navteq or TeleAtlas map data.
You mean in THOSE databases.
Google has been updating theirs to match house numbers to actual houses (presumably based on their street view work) Which is probably why his blue flag is dead on. There's no good reason why, when that information is transferred to the nav system as coordinates, it wouldn't take him to the same spot, UNLESS the street itself ends at the point where the blue line does as far as the nav is concerned (quite likely)

What's odd is our street was built at least 7 years ago - so it shows up in the dashboard map.

The problem is the Navigon map database is confused about what is on the street. To get the destination to map to where our house is located, I have to use a different address - which at least gets us to the right spot on the map. And even though the display on the console is showing the distance as being .1 of a mile for the block - the estimated time drops by 4 minutes over a short distance (20-50 feet?) when entering the street.

And because the Navigon map doesn't fully understand all of the streets that have been added in the development over the last two years, if we use one of the new streets the navigation is constantly trying to remap our route through bizarre combinations of side streets.

If the Google map data was being used instead of the stale Navigon maps - the navigation software surely would work much better...

[Still no map update...]

You mean in THOSE databases.
Google has been updating theirs to match house numbers to actual houses (presumably based on their street view work) Which is probably why his blue flag is dead on. There's no good reason why, when that information is transferred to the nav system as coordinates, it wouldn't take him to the same spot, UNLESS the street itself ends at the point where the blue line does as far as the nav is concerned (quite likely)

I think the point people are making is that those coordinates are NOT transferred from Google Maps to the Navigon software, and so can't inform its activities.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure that's not new. My car has always done that.

On mine, the arrows are orange, FWIW. Dec 2015 build.

Congratulations! Next time you have to take 70 into St. Louis, can you see if it recognizes the Musial bridge?

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen this before, at the St. Augustine Outlets where the superchargers are located. If the road information isn't complete but address information is, it will do this.

Hopefully 364 will show up as well. Nav goes crazy when I take that to work, everyday.

Map update in the UK too, via 3G.
Noticed immediately after the update the the touchscreen was unresponsive, seemed to clear itself after about 5 minutes without requiring a reset.
I am auusing the update must be the Navigon maps that show in the instrument cluster.
Not sure if this points to a stable relationship with the maps/navigation, as with so long since previous update I guess folks were wondering if there was an upcoming change in strategy