Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MAR2023: My Experience Driving 1,367mi Down Into California and Back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just drove down into CA and back home on a road trip with my family of five.
- Drove 1,367mi total.
- Used TESLA Superchargers mostly.
- Average TESLA Supercharger price: $0.40/kWh (MIN: $0.34/kWh | MAX: $0.48/kWh)
NOTE: I pay an average of $0.08353/kWh to charge at home, so paying $0.48/kWh is an abomination!!!
- Longest TESLA Supercharger Charge Time*: 50min (Est.) @ 250kW
- Longest non-Supercharger Charge Time*: 2.5hrs @ 8kW (32A)
- Spent $176.96 total on charging**.
- Total trip cost ICE equivalent (24mpg): $209.15 (Est. @ $3.67/gal)

* Charging sessions where we actively sat and waited, not counting charging passively at the hotel, etc.
** Charged FREE overnight at one hotel and paid a flat $10.00 twice to slow charge at an RV park in BFE.

Takeaways...

We have driven this trip and this specific route many times over the years, and it normally takes about 10.5hrs (in our ICE vehicle @ 24mpg) including stops for fuel and restroom breaks; plus, we lose 1hr going to CA and gain 1hr coming home (due to the time change). Heading to CA in our TESLA Model Y took us 15.5hrs, including time spent charging and restroom breaks, etc. There was substantial range anxiety on the way to CA, especially, because the normal route we would take was beyond the actual range of our TESLA (but not beyond the rated range). Our Model Y is rated at 321mi of range, but our first TESLA Supercharger was 254mi from our home (we left our home with 100% SOC). After much stress, we found an RV park in BFE (about 45min from the first TESLA Supercharger along our route) that allowed us to charge using my NIMA 14-50 TESLA Mobile Connector @ 8kW (32A) for a flat $10.00. Our SOC was very low, so we charged up there to about 15% SOC before heading on to the TESLA Supercharger, but by the time we arrived at that first TESLA Supercharger 45min away, we had -4% SOC. (Not kidding! NEGATIVE 4% SOC!!!) Not only did this stress us out immensely (we thought we weren't going to make it), but I feared that going below 0% may have damaged our battery pack. (It still may have damaged it and we don't even know it!) While at that first TESLA Supercharger along our route, we charged 81kWh in about 35-45min. My Model Y supposedly only has a battery pack that is 78.3kWh, so explain that one to me!

Why didn't you just enter your destination and follow the on-screen GPS and charge accordingly, you ask???? Well, because we always go that route, for one thing. Plus, the route that the car wanted us to follow was going to take us 2hrs in the wrong direction, which made no sense to me. I track my normal TESLA driving efficiency using the TezLab app, so I figured that I should be able to travel the 254mi from a 100% SOC if I go slower (I normally speed, going 10-15mi over the speed limit). I then drove 55mph and 60mph the whole way until our first charge, which seemed to help little or not at all. Tractor trailers were getting mad at me, passing me ASAP along the two lane highway.

Once we were near civilization and were able to use ALL TESLA Superchargers, it was a breeze and wasn't stressful at all, although it definitely added time to our drives. We knew we could charge for $10 at that RV park along our normal route on the way back, so that is what we did. Unfortunately, I did not know that you cannot install a software update while charging (or while driving) the TESLA, so shortly after I began charging @ 8kW (32A) at the RV park, I started the software installation, which promptly cut off my charging session, which fact I did not realize until about 25min into the install, which installation took about 35min total. We made sure to charge up to 100% SOC at that last TESLA Supercharger before heading to that RV park toward home. (This was the first TESLA Supercharger on our way to CA.) We had a 78% SOC when we arrived at the RV park, and we charged up to 95% SOC before heading on for home. We had 3% SOC when we arrived home. It was MUCH less stressful driving and charging on the way home than it was on the way to CA, but it still was not stress-free.

We learned the hard way on the drive home (after seeing the "red steering wheel of death" about 3x) that if you manually exceed the MAX speed TESLA allows for auto-steer (85mph), then that feature will be disabled for the rest of the drive. So, we kept having to pull over while driving on a two-lane highway; put the TESLA in PARK; open the driver door briefly; and then pull back out onto the highway to regain the use of this feature. Maybe I'm spoiled, but driving for hours and hours on a two-lane highway WITHOUT auto-steer sucks! (NOTE: Our HONDA Odyssey has lane keeping, which works well on a road trip, although it is not as good as TESLA's Autopilot.) We also experienced several instances of phantom braking that was most unpleasant. Our HONDA Odyssey has never once done this, and it has adaptive cruise control. It seems like Autopilot gets scared as the TESLA approaches the top of a ridge in the road.

Also, while we love how much storage our Model Y has, it really makes things fairly tight, as some of the rear storage space is deceptive and cannot fully be utilized while allowing the rear lift gate to latch shut. You must leave about a 6-8in gap between where the rear lift gate appears to close and your luggage or cooler, or else the rear lift gate will not close. I also did everything I could to avoid placing stored items on top of the rear shelf, but it could not be avoided on the way home, as we purchased some bags of merchandise. The frunk was fully utilized and so was the lower storage area below the rear cargo space (as well as the rear cargo space).

One other strange thing that occurred is that twice while I was charging at a 250kW TESLA Supercharger, steam or smoke started to rise from the passenger side, seemingly from underneath the hood of the car (under the frunk). This only lasted about 30sec or less, and both times it happened while it was colder and raining outside (maybe 47°F). Because it was wet out, it could have been steam from the thermal realities of Supercharging, or it could have been smoke. There were also a lot of clicks and a few thud noises that occurred while I was Supercharging.

I have estimated (pretty accurately, I might add) that we saved about $32 driving the Model Y on our road trip, as opposed to our ICE minivan that gets 24mpg and is much larger and more comfortable for the passengers. Was it worth it? I am unconvinced, even though I love driving my Model Y. However, my family all said that they wished we had taken the minivan.

I think the main takeaway is that until charging can be done even more quickly than it is today and until fast-charging locations are more prevalent than gas stations are today, then road trips in an EV for periods longer than 4-6hrs are not worth it, IMO. We would normally drive this route with a full tank of gas when leaving home and would have to stop once to fill up along the way, which is also our main potty break and food stop. This would add about 30min to our drive. Until EV's can do likewise, I am not sure that it makes sense to drive an EV on such a long road trip instead of an ICE vehicle. We hope to get a CyberTruck soon, but no one really knows how large and comfortable (or not) that EV will be. TESLA doesn't really make any large/r sized vehicles. The Model X is smaller than our HONDA Odyssey, which minivan is reasonably comfortable on a long road trip. (We drove it about 5,000mi on a 2.5wk road trip last summer and we were decently comfortable.) I could not imagine driving our Model Y on the same 5,000mi road trip. Also, I am utterly disappointed with the lack of savings from charging while driving our TESLA Model Y on road trips. My home electricity price per kWh is amazing, but I think it's ridiculous that I should have to pay 5x that price OR MORE to charge up on a road trip. That's the whole point of owning an EV! I've already paid damn near double to purchase this vehicle, so I should be getting more savings over ICE than a mere 15% at the Superchargers! (NOTE: My state also charges an additional $154 per year for my TESLA auto registration because it's an EV and I don't pay the fuel tax.)

Tesla_Model_Y_Dual_Motor_Solid_Black_(1).jpg

"Tesla Model Y Dual Motor Solid Black (1)" by Damian B Oh is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

I put that because I assumed the OP would like a little margin upon arrival in Middleton. They could always hit Boise after Middleton as necessary. Perhaps they have a charge source in Middleton. Just giving them options and to show what ABRP thought about the situation.
Sometimes what you have to do makes no sense. I assumed they didn't have a lot of EV experience . I have thoughts on how I would do it but I also would be privy to my big picture; I have no idea what their big picture, master plan is.
What I’m saying is that he would have to drive through Middleton to get to the Boise SC. It’s a one hour drive (60mi round-trip) from Middleton to Boise SC and back, so he would have to charge up like 27% at the SC in Boise just to cover that round-trip drive alone, not to mention have a higher SOC when “arriving” at Middleton, ID. He would have to add at least 60% to his battery for that to even be worth it. Seems like a waste of time to me when he could’ve just arrived with maybe 25% SOC in the first place…IMO.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Ciaopec
I'm going to be headed toward Middleton, ID (fairly close to Boise, ID).My trip has me coming from Winnemucca, NV where I need to charge a 100%. I drive a MY LR 23. Is there any concern for me not being able to make it directly to Middleton assuming I drive 60-65 mph the whole way?
That's not something you probably want to try if you don't have ANY means of charging. You mentioned you don't even have a mobile charging cable, so you don't even have a fallback possibility. If you buy the CCS adapter, then yes, this wouldn't be bad, where you could charge at either Orovada or McDermitt. But otherwise, you should switch your route and take the all Supercharger path that is longer but solid and worry free. So that would be more West to come up from Reno to Hines, OR and then East through Ontario, OR and then to Middleton.

IMO: No.

My drive down to CA and back was on 03/20 and 03/23, respectively. The weather was colder then than it is now (which is a factor, or so I am told), but my effective range on 03/20 was actually 219mi. (I did the math based on my actual drive, leaving home with 100% SOC, charging up a bit at the RV park in Oravada, NV, and arriving at the SC in Winnemucca with -4% SOC.)

Just now, Google Maps showed me the distance from “Caldwell, Idaho” (you didn’t give me an address) to the SC in Winnemucca is 237mi. It is obviously warmer now, so perhaps you could make it, but not knowing for sure doesn’t sound like a fun time to me.

I just bought the CCS adapter from TESLA. $174 buys you a lot of piece of mind, IMO. I also have my TESLA Mobile Connector and NEMA 14-50 adapter as a backup. I recommend buying it. Yes, that CS will be up-and-running in McDermitt, NV soon enough, but then you may need a CCS adapter for other road-trip destinations. Keep in mind that it works with any TESLA you own or will own in the future. NACS isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
Sorry—I misread your question. Yes, with a CCS adapter, you should be fine to charge at either Oravada, NV or McDermitt, NV. I would recommend charging up at least 15% (or 12.5kWh) to when you do.

I'm going to be headed toward Middleton, ID (fairly close to Boise, ID).My trip has me coming from Winnemucca, NV where I need to charge a 100%. I drive a MY LR 23. Is there any concern for me not being able to make it directly to Middleton assuming I drive 60-65 mph the whole way?
Doing that drive is technically possible, but yeah there is quite a bit of concern. You are essentially pushing the car to its maximum range without any backup plan if things don't go as expected i.e. headwinds, wet roads, etc. eating into consumption. Having to drive 10 mph under the posted speed limit on a 2 lane highway is sure to endear you to other drivers as well.
ABetterRoutePlanner shows the best route through Hines (OR) supercharger then Ontario (OR) supercharger then Middleton, ID arriving with Soc of
13%, 10%, and 19% respectively. Going through Ontario alone puts you at the supercharger with 3%. The only variables I put in was speed at 62 mph and 268Wh/mile: no extra weight, road conditions, etc. Going from Winnemucca to Hines to Boise then Middleton shows roughly the same numbers.
I can get a valid direct route on ABRP by using default settings on everything except enabling "adjust speed." ABRP shows leaving Winnemucca at 100% and arriving in Middleton with 10% driving at 61 mph.

Like @Rocky_H said though I too wouldn't be inclined to try that without a mobile charger as a fallback option though. And I personally wouldn't be thrilled with driving 10 mph under on a two lane federal highway for 4 and a half hours.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Doing that drive is technically possible, but yeah there is quite a bit of concern. You are essentially pushing the car to its maximum range without any backup plan of things don't go as expected i.e. headwinds, wet roads, etc. eating into consumption. Having to drive 10 mph under the posted speed limit on a 2 lane highway is sure to endear you to other drivers as well.

I can get a valid direct route on ABRP by using default settings on everything except enabling "adjust speed." ABRP shows leaving Winnemucca at 100% and arriving in Middleton with 10% driving at 61 mph. Like @Rocky_H said though I too wouldn't be inclined to try that without a mobile charger as a fallback option though. And I personally wouldn't be thrilled with driving 10 mph under on a two lane federal highway for 4 and a half hours.
I just made that drive 7wks ago (MY/LR) going 60mph for most of that trip. ABRP is wrong.

• Funny
What do hotels think about plugging your car into an outlet in your room? Obviously it would be easier on a ground floor room with your car parked right next to it, but if you did then would they say anything?
Hyatt Place in Naperville, IL allowed me to plug into a 120v outlet near their entrance one col, snowy night 4 or 5 years back. It may have helped keep the battery warm; it may have added a few electrons but I had just come from a supercharger anyway. I was too new and naive at the time; I suspect I really thought I was helping. :( Probably not worth the effort to run it through a window (especially in winter) and what's the point otherwise? I tend to charge the night before if cold is a concern or wait til the morning and start from a low SoC.

Reactions: LadyOnikara
Reading through the experience reminded of my first road-trip driving our used 2013 Model S 85 from Scottsdale, Az back to Orange County, Ca in late 2018. Tesla's onboard navigation wasn't quite as tuned for windspeed, elevation changes, and temperature at the time but they've made improvements since to provide a more accurate projection. I read about using the trip projection on the energy app that was more accurate than the EPA rated display in the IC which was very helpful in calming an anxiety I had crossing the Mojave Desert with no available Supercharger between Quartzite, Az and Indio, Ca. I remember charging to 95% just to make sure I had enough to make it and slowing down when I came across strong headwinds. While our S 85's battery has been nerfed making Supercharging a whole lot longer, the growing number of sites and stalls around my destinations have more than made up for that. 500 miles is about my limit as well before I think about leaving the Tesla in the garage and taking my trusty ole 700 mile range 2001 VW Golf TDI...it's just the short wheelbase, race coilovers, and engine noise/vibrations are dramatically more fatiguing.
Our Tesla's air suspension is like riding on a cloud in comparison.

For the OP, it sounds like you had quite the payload to bring down the vehicle's efficiency a bit and it's important to note that just about every production car drops a good amount of efficiency over 40mph; which is not to say you ought to not exceed 40, but driving behind a tractor trailer at 70mph might help you get a much further range than getting "clean air" at 80 (I admit it, I watch NASCAR). I don't there's a single person here who hasn't learned a thing or two after their first road-trip in their Tesla and I hope you'll see some more convenient Supercharging sites pop up. Chart is from ABRP.

1) People were making the trip in S 85's in 2015. It is entirely possible. Yes the Y has a smaller battery, but it is also more efficient than the original S's. 2) ABRP in my very accurate in my experience given the proper inputs.
It is 255mi from my home @ 100% SOC to the SC in Winnemucca, NV. Not possible in a Model Y (LR/AWD). Even w/o the estimated 1,100lbs of passenger and cargo weight. Then again, at that point, my TESLA would be driving itself! At least we all know it can! 🤪

That's a true number, but it's not really pertinent. The only significant difference - as you pointed out - is the infrastructure. If we had Superchargers every couple miles, nobody would think twice about range, energy efficiency or any of that stuff.

If superchargers were closer together people would definitely worry less about getting stranded, and you could drive more routes more effecnetly because it would be a lower risk to get deeper into the fast part of the charge curve. People would still complain that charging takes 15 minutes not 5 like filling a gas tank and they you do it more frequently because gas cars go like 450 miles on a full tank and EVs you tend to do a half a charge and only hit 300 miles on a charge anyway. Which would be _true_, but for many people the other advantages of EVs would make that all worth it.

I don’t think that’s right. ICE vehicles also lose about half their range when towing, same as EVs. It’s just that vehicles that tow (large SUVs and trucks) have much bigger gas tanks and thus range. And you really don’t notice range loss in an ICE because you can fill up anywhere (Although you’ll notice it in gasoline costs!).

Depends on the ICE. long ago I use to tow a 3500lbs teardrop trailer with a C70 convertible. It got about 12 to 13MPG when towing down from about 28MPG. I later got a diesel pickup truck and towed a larger trailer and it had a much smaller drop in effeceny. I believe it was more like 20% as opposed to "a little over half!". Even towing a much much much larger 17,5000 lbs trailer the F350 only dropped about 30% of the MPG. It was enough that I decided to spend $1000 or there about on more then doubling it's range with an extended tank under the bed. Unfortunately it is going to take a lot of battery tech advancements to make doubling the range of a pickup cost as little as $1 with an EV!

I don't know if it was a property of diesels, or if the truck was geared very differently, or if the truck being a pickup was about as aerodynamic as a brick anyway so adding a trailer didn't change the wind drag as much.

Interestingly while my model Y loses way more range then the F350 use to, it is otherwise my most confident tow vehicle. It moves things like they aren't there. It is easy to forget and if you punch you are going 100MOH no problem and then remember you are getting chased by a utility trailer. Oops. It really is just unreal how little you can feel whatever is back there. I use to joke that towing a 5000lbs travel trailer on the F350 you had to check the mirrors to make sure the trailer hadn't dropped off. It is like that with everything on the model Y (of corse the Y is rated to tow far less, so I am talking about 3000lbs loads).

If a person needs that much convincing that an EV would work for them, they are not ready for an EV. A LOT of the success of owning an EV is one’s attitude going into it.

Very much so. Like I love mine, and not having to ever stop at a gas station for all the "local driving" I do is nice, but some people absoulyy do focus on "what happens once you have to drive >300 miles" like whatever time you need to charge on one of those trips is the end of the world. Many are shocked when I tell them I now hove to make a trip from the very north of VT where I live to the next state south for doctors's visits every few months, and it is a bit past my range. They are shocked when I point out that a "bit past" my range means I stop at the next big town south, pull onto a supercharger and spend one to four minutes on it, then go home. Even when it is freezing out.

if you’ve done several 3000+ mile trips then your in the top 0.0001% of road tripping…i’ve been driving for 40 years and i have never done it…congrats !

I have, twice. Not in an EV, but I feel like I could do it in an EV and enjoy it more than either of the gas vehicles I did it in. I moved from VA to CA and drove my dogs across in a rented RV. Two decades later I moved from CA to VT and again drove my dogs (and this time two cats) across, this time in a Chevy Express I purchased for the trip and sold after. It was not an enjoyable van. The seatbelt gouged my shoulder. I would really have preferred my model Y, but I hadn't purchased it yet, and it would not have held 4 dog crates, 2 cat crates, myself, my wife, food for the dogs, and some essential work gear I needed once I got to VT anyway.

I kept track of all the fuel stops in the express, none were under 14 minutes, most were around 20, many were over 45 minutes, at least one a day was well over an hour (the one all the dogs got a walk on, which most days was launch and dinner stop). So other then an EV needing to do those stops more frequently an EV wouldn't have actually added to my real world times. Because I could have left the dogs in an EV with the HVAC running a lot of the stops could have been faster in an EV then in the express...

People would still complain that charging takes 15 minutes not 5 like filling a gas tank
All these time efficiency arguments are coming from people steeped in the Calvinist tradition that emphasizes work over play. "We can't stop on a road trip. Are you mad? We're working to reach our destination. Everything before that is to be gotten through as efficiently as possible." I've driven around the country twice in gas cars. I've done a 4400 mile trip in my Model 3 Long Range. I greatly preferred the cycle of driving 200 miles and stopping for 20 minutes. I'd prefer it even more if the Superchargers were better sited, with plenty of amenities.

I'm coming to the realization that the real headwind to the mainstream buying an EV is that they don't care about cars. They never have. Now they're being told that they have to learn about cars all over again. Worse, they're being shown Teslas, which have a steeper learning curve than any other EV. Only people who embrace the new or have some compelling reason to go electric are switching to Teslas. In this respect, the traditional car makers understand that if you're going to change things, you do it in increments if you don't want to lose your audience. Tesla may have a tough road ahead if they don't wise up to this.

All these time efficiency arguments are coming from people steeped in the Calvinist tradition that emphasizes work over play.
Could be. More then that, I'm sure you are right about the origin of some of them, yeah.

Other people just don't really like the driving part of the vacation, they want to get to the "cairo part" of the vacation. The chorus part is driving, they want to be at the sand and enjoying the sun.

Not 200 miles away looking at pretty trees and standing in the same sun.

Or to be less of a jerk about it, parking lots are frequently not very interesting, even if they do contain a high wattage EV charger. They would rather be doing the part they like more.

Depending on the drive I might personally be enjoying it, or find a stop and streaming my legs a welcome break. If I have dogs having a chance together them out of the car and watch their excitement (dogs are excited by almost everything..."oh look a bug!" "wow! Someone dropped part of an ice cream cone!") is entertaining. Even so I can see the angst caused by "OMG we have a reservation, what if they decide we are late and to cancel it?" or "what if we miss the first event" (I'm frequently traveling to a game convention). So sure, people might not be able to get ten minutes of relaxing at a charger...

Reactions: Rocky_H and JB47394
Could be. More then that, I'm sure you are right about the origin of some of them, yeah.

Other people just don't really like the driving part of the vacation, they want to get to the "cairo part" of the vacation. The chorus part is driving, they want to be at the sand and enjoying the sun.

Not 200 miles away looking at pretty trees and standing in the same sun.

Or to be less of a jerk about it, parking lots are frequently not very interesting, even if they do contain a high wattage EV charger. They would rather be doing the part they like more.

Depending on the drive I might personally be enjoying it, or find a stop and streaming my legs a welcome break. If I have dogs having a chance together them out of the car and watch their excitement (dogs are excited by almost everything..."oh look a bug!" "wow! Someone dropped part of an ice cream cone!") is entertaining. Even so I can see the angst caused by "OMG we have a reservation, what if they decide we are late and to cancel it?" or "what if we miss the first event" (I'm frequently traveling to a game convention). So sure, people might not be able to get ten minutes of relaxing at a charger...
It's a but of both, I think . When you are flying, which is a horrid experience, we all want to "get it over with" and arrive at our destination asap. But with a little foresight driving CAN be a pleasant experience, and with some cunning you can overlap charging with taking a breather and enjoying things around you. I've been with people who drive straight PAST spectacular views without stopping because "they want to get to their destination to see the spectacular views". it's a mindset thing really, we are all so used to those horrid plane trips that we forget that travel can be PART of a vacation or trip if planned correctly.

Last edited: