Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

March 15th Model Y Reveal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some interesting tidbits from electrek:
"Detailed specs and pricing information will be announced at the event next week and working Model Y prototypes will be available for test rides."
and
"Tesla has been debating making on a new platform or using the Model 3 platform over the past few years and it’s unclear where they have landed on the issue."
I thought the Q4 letter said it would and have a huge percentage in common with the model 3?

Some interesting tidbits from electrek:
"Detailed specs and pricing information will be announced at the event next week and working Model Y prototypes will be available for test rides."
and
"Tesla has been debating making on a new platform or using the Model 3 platform over the past few years and it’s unclear where they have landed on the issue."
I thought the Q4 letter said it would and have a huge percentage in common with the model 3?

I don't know where Electrek is getting this-

Tesla flip-flopped on building Model Y on it's own platform in the first half of 2017, but the issue was settled in August 2017 earnings call when Elon said his exec team had walked him back from over-engineering the Model Y and which would have severely pushed back it's schedule.

The Model Y is built on the Model 3 platform. It share 76% of M3 parts. Elon most recent comments state that they still plan to substantially reduce wiring complexity with the "redundant flex circuit", which should reduce wiring from the Model 3's 1.5km down to ~100m.