TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

March 19th Press Conference Live Blog

Discussion in 'News' started by jvonbokel, Mar 19, 2015.

1. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

2. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

11:09
    Feature 2: Trip planner: will automatically include best list, best route for your trip, including the best charging opportunities on your route.

Musk: the car will double check. You have to say "Yes I'm sure Twice" in order to run out of range.

Musk: Software update 6.2 makes it impossibel for the driver to run out of range unless they intenionally try to.
    Musk: Software update 6.2 makes it impossibel for the driver to run out of range unless they intenionally try to.

11:08
    Also works to look up weather, take terrain into account.

Musk: over the next 12 months, all of Europe, U.S. (save for Northern Alaska), Most of China, all covered.

1: Range Assurance application. Always running in the background, even when nav isn't in use. Communicates with Superchargers and network, warns you before driving out of range if the Tesla Charging network is being used heavily.

11:07
    Version 6.2 gets two new features to address perception of range anxiety, improve driver 'peace of mind'

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. I should've known.

My biggest question is what does all this mean for non-Tech owners? Are we all getting Nav via an OTA update? It *kind of* sounds like it, but it's not explicitly stated.

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

No mention of checking weather in the Press Kit. NMI.

Also, in the Press Kit I note that it says the iPhone app will push notifications, while Android users have to monitor (not ideal, maybe that'll come late for Android).

4. DriverOne

DriverOne Member

I didn't see a mention of tech package / nav requirement? Seems like nav is required for this. That would not cover the "entire fleet" though. Jus' wondering'.. nav would be nice to have. I skipped nav on the Tesla because my phone already has it. However this is a whole new level of Tesla-only navigation!

5. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

#6 SW2Fiddler, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    Why wouldn't "all" mean all?

6. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

Checking the Design Studio page now shows Maps and Navigation as part of the standard. It's not mentioned in the Tech package any longer.

7. sickfox

sickfox Member

seems like when I click the Tech package, the smart air suspension is included but can I can unclick it.

8. ecosuave'

ecosuave' Member

I think, at the price point of the Model S, Maps & Navigation SHOULD be standard.
    My new 85D arrives next week, and I ordered the Tech package...so I should be covered either way, but I like that Elon is making this available for those that do not have it.

Well...and to be honest...I'm thinking of myself 3 years from now when some new technology comes out that wasn't available when I ordered mine...I hope to still be eligible for new updates as they come out.
    :biggrin:

9. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

This actually happened a couple weeks ago. See here.

10. GatorB8T

GatorB8T Member

I'm not real sure why they keep giving stuff away that they charged early adopters for. Obviously great for people who didn't pay for it. I would have to agree with ecosuave, Nav should be standard. If you spend $30k on a Honda and get Nav you should get it on a $70k Tesla.

11. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

#12 Mayhemm, Mar 19, 2015
    I'll admit I was kind of disappointed when Elon just brushed off the development discrepancy between the two versions of the App. Would have been nice to here "and soon for Android" or even "and eventually for Android". I'd like to believe the two apps will one day have the same features.

Yes, but there are many vehicles where nav is still an option too.

Rapidly changing features/options is just part of dealing with a young company like Tesla. They're still figuring out what fits best.

It's actually more of an extreme case with Tesla as well, since they don't wait for the next model year to introduce new features. They add them as soon as they're ready. Nice for new customers, bad for old ones.

12. VirtualE

VirtualE Member

When is 6.2 update coming?

13. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

Did anyone else notice the supercharger map at the top of the press kit shows superchargers that are "coming soon" and presents them as currently available?

Also, the press kit mentions Valet Mode!

14. jweinstein

jweinstein Member

I like the thought of Southern Alaska having Superchargers. :)

15. O-G

O-G Member

I'm not sure where to even post this. $40K deposit for 3+ years and I can't even listen to the press release. Significant stock investor, (at least to me). I'm not giving up my reservation but I have to say that today was a slap in the face to me. I think tesla at least owes me an apology. My attitude and alliance to the company changed today and that's a shame. I might not have been their number one supporter but I was close.

16. teddyg

teddyg Member

#17 teddyg, Mar 19, 2015
    Anybody know where I can listen to a recording of the conference call this morning? Seems odd that they wouldn't have this up on the IR page. Disappointed too O-G I feel your pain. Also been holding a deposit for 3 years here in NZ! Originally told Aus/NZ deliveries would happen mid 2013! Ha...now told they won't deliver to NZ until there is a service centre here. Understand the logic but will be another year or two at least I bet! Thinking by the time I take delivery I will be the longest reservation holder in Tesla history.
    Why are you waiting so long? I see you are in the USA. Or is yours a Model X reso?

Edit: Haha now I see your pic I get it. Hope you get that Model X this year! You have a shorter wait ahead of you than me at least! And I just want the S!

17. mgemmell

mgemmell Scottish chap

100% agreed with both. I thought the day of press releases had ended frankly! It seems antiquated now to announce something significant like this and not make it an open call. It clearly impacts the stock price and gives an advantage to those invited (meaning they can play the market ahead of others less privileged). It also is of primary interest to us users and future users and it would be nice to see them reward that loyalty more (although having my 2013 Model S update to 2015 for free ain't a bad reward either! :) ).

Essentially I think all these calls should be open to all and on ir.teslamotors.com right away. Don't want to ask questions, just listen in.

That said, awesome news, great step forward, and a genuine move towards making EVs an easier choice for the mass market. After a total of >120k kms I can say with all honesty that buying the Model S (and Roadster) have been the best purchase decisions I've ever made.

18. ecosuave'

ecosuave' Member

I saw that too...Something about being covered except in NORTHERN Alaska.
    Who knows?
    I live near Seattle, but go up to Alaska for work...and I haven't seen any Superchargers up there...Southern OR Northern.
    :tongue:

19. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Is there an MP3 of the audio from the press conference available for download?