Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

March 2020 - Delivery - Quality Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,
Just wanted to share my experience delivery process and some info on quality issues.

First and foremost, I'd like to say that I was going with full expectations that I'm going to be driving off in my Model Y. However, there were more than a few issues that made me decide to refuse delivery.

Here is the complete list:

• Missing front Tesla emblem
  • Misaligned trunk on the driver side compared to passenger side
  • Misaligned passenger side tail light
  • Misaligned drive side fender
  • Misaligned front passenger door handle (not flush with the body)
  • Misaligned dashboard on the drive side
  • Falling off fear window/trunk interior cover
  • Scratches on front passenger side fender
  • Driver side passenger door weather stripping alignment
  • Misaligned glovebox
  • Misaligned interior B-pillar fabric
  • Dirty interior
I was told the the car went though 5 inspection before me, and I really wonder how those issues got missed. Personally, I think that it's embarrassing. What's your opinion, would you reject delivery?

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 12.25.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 12.30.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 12.29.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 12.30.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 12.30.01 PM.png

Hello Everyone,
Just wanted to share my experience delivery process and some info on quality issues.

First and foremost, I'd like to say that I was going with full expectations that I'm going to be driving off in my Model Y. However, there were more than a few issues that made me decide to refuse delivery.

Here is the complete list:

• Missing front Tesla emblem
  • Misaligned trunk on the driver side compared to passenger side
  • Misaligned passenger side tail light
  • Misaligned drive side fender
  • Misaligned front passenger door handle (not flush with the body)
  • Misaligned dashboard on the drive side
  • Falling off fear window/trunk interior cover
  • Scratches on front passenger side fender
  • Driver side passenger door weather stripping alignment
  • Misaligned glovebox
  • Misaligned interior B-pillar fabric
  • Dirty interior
I was told the the car went though 5 inspection before me, and I really wonder how those issues got missed. Personally, I think that it's embarrassing. What's your opinion, would you reject delivery?
Can't imagine what it looked like before those inspections...! I think if it were me, I'd ask them to fix everything before I took delivery. If they refuse, then you need to make a decision, None of those items appear to be very difficult to fix, but you run the risk of the 'within spec' response. You don't mention the VIN, so I'm assuming it's a current-build car, which is surprising, as the quality seems to be better lately. I know my car had zero issues.

I forgot to mention that during delivery, delivery personnel took the car back to their service engineers, and they did fix trunk and paint issues. But the fact that all issues were very visible made me think twice about what else was overlooked in the inspection. I just didn't have enough faith and trust in that specific car and that's why I refused.

I agree that those issues are fixable, but they should be fixed before delivery! VIN is 141XXX.

As a Tesla shareholder, I cannot believe Tesla still has the audacity to even present vehicles in this condition to customers. If I were in your shoes, I would have rejected that vehicle without hesitation and I would also be sending a certified letter to Elon's office with those pictures included asking him how could this vehicle have got through inspection. Was Stevie Wonder the inspector?

Reactions: Jemblue7my
That's pretty awful. Mine on pickup in Dec had some scratches on the trim, very dirty interior, dirty exterior, and some subtle misalignments. They fixed the trim, but that's it. They didn't even flinch about the rest. I should have refused delivery on principle that this wasn't sparkling on delivery. You did the right thing

Reactions: Jemblue7my
Wanted to give an update to everyone. I accepted delivery of another Model Y a week after I declined the first one. New car is in perfect condition except for a small scratch on a rear seat recline lever and small cut on the seat itself. It looks like they could've been caused by the same thing, and I've already scheduled a service appointment for that.

Tesla can definitely deliver an great quality product, I hope that consistency improves soon!

And of course, I absolutely love the car!