Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

March 2022 Model Y doesn't match Owners Manual. Has no USB or USB-c ports to play USB music!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took Delivery March 20, 2022. I planned to move the USB music stick from my older Model Y to this new one. It turns out the new one has USB-c ports in the center console. No problem, i have a wire that connects a USB to a USB-c. Plugged it in, but car didnt recognize. Even after a couple reboots. I should note here that my 2022 Tesla Model S has a USB-c port, and i used a similar converter wire to get a regular USB stick to play in that car. Works fine.

Then I RTFMd. Owners Manual in the new Model Y says that the two USB-c ports in rear are for charging only, and there is one in the front of center console for playing from a USB drive. I felt all around in front of center console and could not find any kind of port!

So, drove to the Delivery Center to ask my Delivery guy. He felt around the front of console and couldnt find a port either! Then he asked someone in the Service Dept. No luck. His explanation is that Tesla changes things on these cars all the time, so it is ok if the car doesnt match the Owner's Manual! So, we simply put my USB music stick in the Glove box. This meant removing the Sentry mode stick that was there. And, now i have my USB music back! But very doubtful if Sentry mode can record videos now.

So, have any of you noticed this discrepancy between the car and the Owners Manual? And, have any of you come up with a good solution?

My Y is January 2022. I have 2 rear ports…good for charging. I also have 2 center console USBC ports. I can’t get my usba (with music) to play on either of the 2 usbc center console using a usba-c converter. Glove box works well with Sentry usb.

Refer to this thread for answers

2022 Y's and 3 were hit with the " Chip shortage", they removed some data chips from the center console module, that's the same reason you don't have "Cuphead" in the car, needs a gamepad. I suspect at some point, tesla will either sell or enable the BlueTooth gamepad compatibility, but for now, here's an aftermarket fix.

Thanks everyone for your useful replies. To clarify my post - when i tried to paraphrase the Owners Manual I used the word 'rear' to describe the location of the two USB-c port on the rear wall of the Center Console between the front two seats. And, i know there are two additional USB-c ports to be used for rear seat passengers. All four of them are for charging only. Thanks for the link to that prior lengthy thread! So, Yep the chip shortage is probably the cause and Tesla was too lazy to update the Owners Manual for this. As usual, Communication is Tesla's Achilles Heel! Next, I will look into that Aftermarket Data Transmission module!

Not being a real techie, why wouldn’t you use a usb hub in the glove box? 10 seconds to install and $13 at Amazon?
Because the car is supposed to come with USB-C ports compatible with game controllers, USB sticks with media, etc as stated in the manual. When you're paying $60k+ for a car, you'd expect items that are listed in the manual as being present.

Because the car is supposed to come with USB-C ports compatible with game controllers, USB sticks with media, etc as stated in the manual. When you're paying $60k+ for a car, you'd expect items that are listed in the manual as being present.
Not being a real techie, why wouldn’t you use a usb hub in the glove box? 10 seconds to install and $13 at Amazon?
You both make good points. In my last post i didnt mean to imply that i had rejected the USB hub approach, just that i wanted to understand the other approach better before deciding what to to do. While installing that data transmission module is the best fix, it was a bit too technical for my limited skills, so i ordered the usb hub instead.

2022 Y's and 3 were hit with the " Chip shortage", they removed some data chips from the center console module, that's the same reason you don't have "Cuphead" in the car, needs a gamepad. I suspect at some point, tesla will either sell or enable the BlueTooth gamepad compatibility, but for now, here's an aftermarket fix.
Maybe a stupid question but how do you tell the hardware version in your car? I just got my MP3 a couple weeks ago so just figuring this out. Its asking to make sure you either have Intel or Ryzen, and it looks like this for only 1 port to transmit data?

I thought the music had to be FAT32

My book specifically says exFAT won't work for music
I use exFat. However A bug in current tesla firmware series prevents the data USB from working randomly. The computer won’t recognize devices plugged in to usb. If you reboot center console infotainment usb will work normally for a few days. The same firmware has a bug which causes car Wi-Fi to not connect to known networks. Rebooting fixes that for a few days too. My car has 2022.12.3.12.

Maybe a stupid question but how do you tell the hardware version in your car? I just got my MP3 a couple weeks ago so just figuring this out. Its asking to make sure you either have Intel or Ryzen, and it looks like this for only 1 port to transmit data?
You 'probably' have the Ryzen but you can check for sure from the screen - I believe if you go to the Software tab, then hit Vehicle Details, it will show what chip you have. (I know it's under Vehicle Details, just can't remember if it's in the Software tab).

Reactions: live2ride90
I thought the music had to be FAT32

My book specifically says exFAT won't work for music
EXFAT does work. When I run into an issue with SSD, I take it out, take it and insert it into my computer to fix any problems. Then,
I plug it into the USB-A port in the glovebox. So far, I only had one instance where the SSD failed to work, and I used the above steps to get it back in the working condition. Warning: Do not let your Tesla format the drive.
P.S. For those who have a background in Linux, ext4 is an acceptable format option for the Music partition.

Can any one link me to a good usb hub that works with the Tesla ? The one I got pre getting the car the car doesn’t recognise the usb drive when it’s plugged in via the hub so don’t want to get burned again. Have a 2022 UK model 3 LR hoping for a hub that’s one that will be a single plastic/metal block that will stay up on the roof of the glovebox.

Took Delivery March 20, 2022. I planned to move the USB music stick from my older Model Y to this new one. It turns out the new one has USB-c ports in the center console. No problem, i have a wire that connects a USB to a USB-c. Plugged it in, but car didnt recognize. Even after a couple reboots. I should note here that my 2022 Tesla Model S has a USB-c port, and i used a similar converter wire to get a regular USB stick to play in that car. Works fine.

Then I RTFMd. Owners Manual in the new Model Y says that the two USB-c ports in rear are for charging only, and there is one in the front of center console for playing from a USB drive. I felt all around in front of center console and could not find any kind of port!

So, drove to the Delivery Center to ask my Delivery guy. He felt around the front of console and couldnt find a port either! Then he asked someone in the Service Dept. No luck. His explanation is that Tesla changes things on these cars all the time, so it is ok if the car doesnt match the Owner's Manual! So, we simply put my USB music stick in the Glove box. This meant removing the Sentry mode stick that was there. And, now i have my USB music back! But very doubtful if Sentry mode can record videos now.

So, have any of you noticed this discrepancy between the car and the Owners Manual? And, have any of you come up with a good solution?
2022 Model Y centre console usb c do not have data on power for charging…
You can buy a replacement module that will do power & data via. Various vids on Ytube…
6EA3DBA0-1A88-4AFF-ABFB-1DE14CDC90CD.jpeg

Reactions: Wilber