Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

March 2022 - Tesla Model Y Increases price by $1,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m surprised to see that in the article since Tesla doesn’t have a PR department. They also don’t cite any sources.

They also go on to say “We can’t confirm that the two are related, but interestingly, Tesla has only increased the price of vehicles with nickel in their batteries.”

But I guess that’s still journalism?

I’m surprised to see that in the article since Tesla doesn’t have a PR department. They also don’t cite any sources.

They also go on to say “We can’t confirm that the two are related, but interestingly, Tesla has only increased the price of vehicles with nickel in their batteries.”

But I guess that’s still journalism?
That’s kind of journalism. Those sites are as much hype as fact, not exactly MSM. But its also what you have to do when the company has no PR department to put out basic info like, why did the price go up.

Tesla is disappointing in all ways lately. Purchase prices going up and stock prices going down.
What's disappointing? Gas prices are going up, which will increase Teslas costs, materials are going up, there's a chip shortage, there's a car shortage, so people (myself included) are selling their used cars for much more than they paid for them 2, 3 years ago...

Did you really think EVERYTHING would go up,, except the cost of Tesla cars?

Oh... and they have a months long wait for delivery on their current orders, so why would they NOT increase their prices? They are a business, after all.

Simple supply and demand.

By the way... I ordered my MYP back on Nov. 3, 2021, took delivery Dec. 26th.
On Nov. 4th, Tesla increased prices for the Model Y $1,000. Eight days later, another $1,000 increase. Yesterday, ANOTHER $1000 increase.

So... from my standpoint, when I'm ready to sell my 2022 used Model Y Performance, anyone considering a Tesla Model Y will compare the used prices to what they'd have to pay for a NEW Model Y, which is currently $64,990, without any options. I paid $61,990 before options.

Suddenly... if I sell my USED Tesla Model Y Performance for, say, $61,990... the same price I paid, a buyer, comparing it to what they'd have to pay today for a brand new Model Y would be saving $3,000! Not an insignificant amount.

My point is, Tesla, by keeping their car's body style the same, providing over-the-air updates to keep used cars current, and increasing their prices for new vehicles has the effect of keeping USED prices very high, a rather strong benefit for current owners.

Tesla stock most always goes up and down. The trend is that it has gone way up over time. Making steady profits tends to support higher stock prices.

Pricing of most everything is going up at the moment. Tesla wants to maintain about a 30% internal profit margin to provide $ for furture growth and investment. Profits from current cars goes into production design and facilities to increase future volumes. Lots of $ will be spent on their continous improvement policy and finishing up FSD for all their cars of the future.

Tesla is ramping up their production volumes to meet increasing demand. Germany just opened, Texas is not far behind, and a 2nd factory is being planned for the very successful China campus.

Tesla is disappointing in all ways lately. Purchase prices going up and stock prices going down.
Tesla, even after dropping today, has a market cap that’s 15 times its annual revenue. For comparison that ratio for Apple and Amazon is 6.8 and 3.2 respectively. So, investing in Tesla is a speculative endeavor in which you are banking on future value; and as a result its price will be inherently volatile. If you aren’t holding the stock long term you’re playing on news and current events to try to profit.

Paid 42k for our SR just one year ago. Seems like a lifetime ago in terms of Tesla price increases though. Curious how much the SR would be if it was still around.
Indeed, that 39,990 price tag I paid(Well, 40,990 with the shipping) for the SRMY is looking sweeter and sweeter by the day.

ric-flair-american-professional-wrestler.gif

The top right of the screen shot also says estimated delivery in December. If I were pricing a product that was in such high demand that there was a 9 month wait I’d raise the prices as well. Tesla isn’t blind they see how much people are paying for used MYs.
Tesla isnt blind, but mmr and used car dealers surely are. They have no idea how tesla prices their vehicles. Most used model ys direct from tesla get FSD tacked on. I dont think ive seen one pop up for sale without out and they still sell out pretty quickly. I ended up selling my no option 21 lr Y nov of last year because I got an offer for it like it had FSD tacked on. Walked away with a $12k profit which was weird to me but I wasnt going to say no. I know exactly where the car is right now and the dealer that bought it still has it because no one wants to buy it at their ridiculous asking prices. Late last year, carvana, vroom, carmax started catching on and cropping out the feature page so people wouldnt know if it had fsd or not. If you go to those sites, they all cutoff at the vin when they take the screen picture so they can maintain the illusion of the high prices with fsd. imo, that illusion has shattered and the used car industry is trying to figure out how to cope with that mistake not factoring it into the calculations. The Y is still a hot commodity but those car buying sites wisened up and are offering much less than they did late last year.

Reactions: voxel
What's disappointing? Gas prices are going up, which will increase Teslas costs, materials are going up, there's a chip shortage, there's a car shortage, so people (myself included) are selling their used cars for much more than they paid for them 2, 3 years ago...

Did you really think EVERYTHING would go up,, except the cost of Tesla cars?

Oh... and they have a months long wait for delivery on their current orders, so why would they NOT increase their prices? They are a business, after all.

Simple supply and demand.

By the way... I ordered my MYP back on Nov. 3, 2021, took delivery Dec. 26th.
On Nov. 4th, Tesla increased prices for the Model Y $1,000. Eight days later, another $1,000 increase. Yesterday, ANOTHER $1000 increase.

So... from my standpoint, when I'm ready to sell my 2022 used Model Y Performance, anyone considering a Tesla Model Y will compare the used prices to what they'd have to pay for a NEW Model Y, which is currently $64,990, without any options. I paid $61,990 before options.

Suddenly... if I sell my USED Tesla Model Y Performance for, say, $61,990... the same price I paid, a buyer, comparing it to what they'd have to pay today for a brand new Model Y would be saving $3,000! Not an insignificant amount.

My point is, Tesla, by keeping their car's body style the same, providing over-the-air updates to keep used cars current, and increasing their prices for new vehicles has the effect of keeping USED prices very high, a rather strong benefit for current owners.
This post nailed it!

Gas prices are going up which means everything is getting more expensive and therefore teslas will also get more expensive.

Also, with gas prices going up, EVs have become even more appealing. So it is smart to raise the cost.

In now factor in the economics. Demand is high and the limitation is production. So ideally they want to raise prices without dropping demand too much. Maximize the profit.