Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

March For Science

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The impetus for this march was the recent election and the perception that the administration was not as concerned about science as the scientific community would like:

Scientists worldwide have been alarmed by the clear anti-science actions taken by the Trump administration. It has been less than a week and there have already been funding freezes and efforts to restrict scientists from communicating their findings (from tax-funded research!) with the public. These actions are absurd and cannot be allowed to stand as policy. This is not a partisan issue — people from all parts of the political spectrum should be alarmed by these efforts to deny scientific progress. Scientific research moves us forward and we should not allow asinine policies to thwart it.

So to assume it won't have a political slant is probably a recipe for disappointment. I agree that the social justice part should be left out, though, so as not to muddy the message.

I expect a lot of copies of what used to be my favorite protest sign:

"What do we want? Evidence Based Policy! When do we want it? After Peer Review!"

The impetus for this march was the recent election and the perception that the administration was not as concerned about science as the scientific community would like.

It sounds like my kids growing up. "I hate peas." Why? "Joey says they are nasty." Did you taste them? "Why would I taste them if everybody says they are nasty?"

But soon they found out that Joey really did not have much authority, and peas were not as bad as was predicted.

It is entirely possible that new Administration will set up toxic waste dumps in every pre-school as is predicted. But I'm waiting for them to pull permits before taking action. We have devolved into a society that places more weight on words than they do on actions. I still like to see somebody do something good or bad before I decide their character.

I vaguely remember about 4 kinds of fear.

1) Genetically pre-programmed, like insects.
2) Learned by personal bad experience.
3) Learned by observing others.
4) Determined by evaluation of related experiences. Logic.

For the new adminstration it seems 1/2/3 are the ones the POTUS's antagonists are using, not #4. I like #4. Fewer people get hurt.

Last edited:
It sounds like my kids growing up. "I hate peas." Why? "Joey says they are nasty." Did you taste them? "Why would I taste them if everybody says they are nasty?"

But soon they found out that Joey really did not have much authority, and peas were not as bad as was predicted.

It is entirely possible that new Administration will set up toxic waste dumps in every pre-school as is predicted. But I'm waiting for them to pull permits before taking action. We have devolved into a society that places more weight on words than they do on actions. I still like to see somebody do something good or bad before I decide their character.

For the new adminstration it seems 1/2/3 are the ones the POTUS's antagonists are using, not #4. I like #4. Fewer people get hurt.
Y'know, McRat, this is crap. The POTUS has explicitly said that he believes climate science is fiction. His transition team asked for list of all federally funded scientists who are working in that area. His EPA chief is on record as pro oil, fracking and damn the environmental consequences. Words precede action. Words matter from a leader. So far, he is attempting to follow through on wall, Muslim ban, ACA... so why do you think his words re climate change won't be followed by actions??? Some of us want to send a message that actions re science will have consequences.

Y'know, McRat, this is crap. The POTUS has explicitly said that he believes climate science is fiction. His transition team asked for list of all federally funded scientists who are working in that area. His EPA chief is on record as pro oil, fracking and damn the environmental consequences. Words precede action. Words matter from a leader. So far, he is attempting to follow through on wall, Muslim ban, ACA... so why do you think his words re climate change won't be followed by actions??? Some of us want to send a message that actions re science will have consequences.

So you're saying that words are far more significant than action.

When you look at action, exactly what did the last Administration do that was a real game changer when it comes to the environment? Were you dead set against the last administration due to their lackluster environmental actions? Or were their words without action acceptable?

Reactions: dhrivnak

Based on above criteria, when did you determine that there were no WMDs in Iraq and when you did was it too late to stop the war? Quite a few people got hurt back then and still do.

Reactions: gene
Based on above criteria, when did you determine that there were no WMDs in Iraq and when you did was it too late to stop the war? Quite a few people got hurt back then and still do.

Iraq was interested in nuclear armaments before Israeli F-16s blew up their reactor that was to be used to make plutonium. Or when they were caught buying metallic beryllium billets for neutron reflectors. Or the high speed capacitors for implosion triggering. The never did give up completely, they were simply being spied on too much to make progress.

Iraq was interested in chemical weapons before they were gassing Iranians, then Kurds. Are there still chem warheads somewhere in the desert? Who knows? The documents were destroyed.

But Saddam lied in both directions. Sometimes he said he had WMD's, other times he said he did not. His words were political tools that were not directly derived from his actual inventories.

So whatever weapons Saddam did or did not have were determined by their physical existence, not his rhetoric. Politicians use words like the military uses camouflage. It's a potent force multiplier.

It seems to me that a "March for Science" should be understood as advocating for Pres. Trump to admit that science is huugely important to a technological civilization and to appoint an excellent science adviser whose advice will be taken seriously. So far, he's nowhere near that.

At least, that's what I'll be there to do.

• Love
Reactions: gene and AndreN
So you're saying that words are far more significant than action.

When you look at action, exactly what did the last Administration do that was a real game changer when it comes to the environment? Were you dead set against the last administration due to their lackluster environmental actions? Or were their words without action acceptable?
No. I'm saying words are a precursor to action and should be taken seriously. The prior admin was hampered by 6 years of do nothing congress that was determined to thwart any action. Disappointing yes, but not down to Prez.

• Helpful
Reactions: AndreN
I read this thread hoping I'd find some fellow Tesla owners interested in a meetup at the March. We're considering driving down in our Model X if we can use the opportunity to parade our EVs in support, something like that. Otherwise we'd probably take the train, it's easier on the kids because they can run around.

So... absent all the political back-and-forth -- any interest in a Tesla meetup in DC?

Reactions: ohmman and gene
I read this thread hoping I'd find some fellow Tesla owners interested in a meetup at the March. We're considering driving down in our Model X if we can use the opportunity to parade our EVs in support, something like that. Otherwise we'd probably take the train, it's easier on the kids because they can run around.

So... absent all the political back-and-forth -- any interest in a Tesla meetup in DC?
I would love to come. I have considered flying back to the east coast for this, but the carbon footprint associated with that trip is not justifiable for my single human presence at the march. Instead, I plan to go to the march in San Francisco. Have a great time, and good luck getting some takers.

Reactions: Noneduck
April 22 is a training day for me. Signed up to do the San Diego Marathon. Easiest way to check both things off my list is to run the 11 miles to Pershing Square in DTLA; march, then run to either Union Station or further out to get home. Or maybe I'll just Uber home. Guessing I'll be fried.

A few pics from March for Science, downtown Los Angeles.
Signs ranged from angry, to funny. Practical to obtuse.
Nice day, fun, relaxed crowd.

FullSizeRender 6.jpg

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

FullSizeRender 7.jpg

( decode the ASCII hex to get " R E S I S T " )... sigh, nerds, thousands.

Variation on pussy hat.. Brain hat... damn it was warm for that fashion statement.

FullSizeRender 8.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ohmman