Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

March Model 3 Unveil just drawings? No actual car? Disappointed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Contrary to the current conversation, there was an accidental "reveal" of the Model 3 about 2-3 years ago. Basically, the Model 3 looks like a small Model S.

The accidental reveal was within a video posted by Tesla. The video was intended to showcase the Tesla factory and accidentally included a shot of the design studio where a Model 3, probably a full-size clay model, was briefly seen.

This makes sense. One reason for Model S popularity is the beautiful design. Another is the low drag coefficient. In addition, building a smaller version of the Model S may help reduce some of the design/build costs.

View the video yourself at the 12:30 mark:

Tesla doesnt plan on showing everything about the Model 3 at the March unveiling, will wait closer to production in 2017 | Electrek

Pretty clear that pictures are just that...pictures. As in pictures only. As in there will be no physical prototype that rolls out onto stage.

I have seen it and I interpret it differently than you (or at the very least maintain it's not at all clear). "When will we get pictures of the Model 3", "at the end of March, I'm being a little coy here". The questioner brought up pictures and didn't ask about anything else. I know all that I'm going to get to see are pictures (I still have only ever seen pictures of the Model X).

Yikes.

You guys are reading way too far into a few simple words.

I wonder if Elon and the Tesla crew ever read these forums and have a nice laugh at all the inane nitpicky speculation.

I would say the bigger question is why is this in doubt in the first place. If we could get Musk to speak confidently, clearly and coherently without trying to parse and nuance words so much these exercises in frustration would not be necessary.

Remember how the Falcon Wings Doors didnt line up... Until they did.

Lets wait until we see, or dont see, a car on stage before we start saying the sky is falling.

My own opinion: I think Tesla is fully aware that showing a picture of the car that will change the company forever would be a bad decision. I dont know much about car manufacturing... But I would bet they could quite easily stamp out a single prototype of the outside of the Model 3 (even if its going to get changed later) and present it on stage.

They dont have to have a new battery tech available, or a new engine type... They can talk about those at the event, but they could just use the old stuff from the S until its ready. If the interior design is going to be similar to the S (minimal, big scresn) that seems easy enough to make a single unit of too.

You guys are reading way too far into a few simple words.
I wonder if Elon and the Tesla crew ever read these forums and have a nice laugh at all the inane nitpicky speculation.
I don't know about Elon, but can say that I am having a good chuckle over the hysterical reaction by some to the idea that the 3 reveal will just be a few images and not an actual car...

I don't know about Elon, but can say that I am having a good chuckle over the hysterical reaction by some to the idea that the 3 reveal will just be a few images and not an actual car...

I have a hysterical laughing reaction to anyone who actually thinks the Model 3 will be released anywhere close to on schedule... lol.

Really deonb? That is your response to this massive disappointment? Parse my words? Nobody cares about me. The subject is Tesla and the massive disappointment of no Model 3 unveil. The subject is not me, Audi, evil oil companies, evil dealerships, Mars, SpaceX (yeah it's cool).

Focus, folks. Tell us why this is not a massive disappointment. Tell us a compelling argument why this is actually a positive for Tesla. Maybe because they will "focus on quality" or "keep a secret" or whatever. Someone make a cogent argument, please.

I'll let that one go because you're new.

But the main reason this is not a massive disappointment to those of us that have followed Tesla longer... We've been through this before. Many times. When you feel bored one day, research the "5 announcements" Elon made before the launch of the Model S.

There's just so many times you can go on this up-down rollercoaster before you get off.

FYI for those who might not follow the investor sections. Valuationmatters is a permabear who believes TSLA is worth $25/share. He has purchased a large sum of puts that he believes will be worth millions when the market catches on to his valuation. Helpful perspective when you read his comments hyperventilating about Musk walking up onto a stage with an 8.5x11 sheet of paper with some model 3 pencil drawings on it, followed by opening up of reservations. So the FUD will be extra strong with this one.

BTW, Tesla won't do that. There will be an actual prototype vehicle, not drawings. No, I don't have proof - just logic. Feel free to copy this post and mock me mercilessly if I'm wrong.

FYI for those who might not follow the investor sections. Valuationmatters is a permabear who believes TSLA is worth $25/share. He has purchased a large sum of puts that he believes will be worth millions when the market catches on to his valuation. Helpful perspective when you read his comments hyperventilating about Musk walking up onto a stage with an 8.5x11 sheet of paper with some model 3 pencil drawings on it, followed by opening up of reservations. So the FUD will be extra strong with this one.

BTW, Tesla won't do that. There will be an actual prototype vehicle, not drawings. No, I don't have proof - just logic. Feel free to copy this post and mock me mercilessly if I'm wrong.

esk8mw is correct. Love the S, hate the X. Valuation seems insane hence I am short. Trying to be objective though and not succumb to my own biases. But I did listen to EM on the video and it does sound like we will get pictures at end of March and not an actual prototype that drives on stage with people giving "oohs" and "aahs". I could be totally wrong.

The video (12:30 into it) was a bit more ambiguous then the articles make it seem. Will there be a prototype, or not? How much in the way of details will we get? Frankly I'm going to just ignore the hype over this one sentence reply and wait for more concrete info as we get closer to the reveal.

Tesla in 2012, with much less resources than today and a handfull of cars produced (only 400 roadsters) managed to show a functional prototype of Model X and you say that today, 4 years and 100.000 build cars later they will only unveil some drawings... seriously? Do you really think than Tesla is now less capable than then?

I'm sure will see a Model 3 prototype in less than 60 days.

Why is everyone so surprised? Tesla is ALWAYS late. What have they been on time with yet? Roadster? NO. Model S, NO. Model X, NO. Ludicrous Update for P85D, NO. Upgraded package for original Roadster, NO.

All this news tells me is that they don't have a car to show. So, all they can do is show us part of the car based on photos they manufacture. We're in 2016, no way in hell that they don't have a prototype yet and can deliver a car to production next year!

GM is loving it. They've got 2-3 years to sell the Bolt before having any competition. If you want a $35,000, 200 mile electric car, better to just go lease a Bolt for 2-3 years when it's available. By the time the lease is up, maybe we'll be close to the actual release of the Model 3 in 2019 or 2020. No need to keep driving an ICE car while waiting for Tesla. Just ask all those that chose to wait for an electric SUV!

Car makers routinely reveal a full size "prototype/concept" car, then many months (or years) later let the buying public know exactly what specs, features, and options the car will have some time before the vehicle is available for purchase. I don't see Tesla changing the game with the model 3 reveal, they will have a full size version on display. Elon will not stand next to pictures of a car and say "here it is give us your money", he knows that's not how it works.

BTW this is exactly what GM did with the Chevy Bolt EV, which they have yet to sell to the public.

Let's just say this: Even Faraday Future had a physical prototype on stage. If that joke of a company can cobble together a non-driving sculpture, I'm pretty sure Tesla can do the same and make it drivable with a Roadster or Model S platform under it.

So funny. Bolt is real and has been reviewed by several independent car magazines. Tezzluh model 3 will be pictures only lol. Not even model X has been reviewed. Bring on the hate. I have insulted the great Tezzluh.

Why are you spelling Tesla like that? The correct spelling occurs in the URL of this page and in several locations on it.

Moderators can this ludicrous thread be closed?