Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

March Model 3 Unveil just drawings? No actual car? Disappointed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why are you spelling Tesla like that? The correct spelling occurs in the URL of this page and in several locations on it.

Moderators can this ludicrous thread be closed?

Yes, please close this thread so that we don't have to hear from people who dare point out interesting news. Like the widely reported news that Tesla will not actually have an unveiling of an actual physical car, but rather some 2-D drawings or photographs or pictures -- based on what EM himself just publicly said in front of about 1000 people.

By all means, lets censor the non-believers or close threads that disagree!

I sometimes spell Tezzluh because that is actually how EM pronounces it. If it hurts others' feelings I will refrain.

Yes, please close this thread so that we don't have to hear from people who dare point out interesting news. Like the widely reported news that Tesla will not actually have an unveiling of an actual physical car, but rather some 2-D drawings or photographs or pictures -- based on what EM himself just publicly said in front of about 1000 people.

By all means, lets censor the non-believers or close threads that disagree!

I sometimes spell Tezzluh because that is actually how EM pronounces it. If it hurts others' feelings I will refrain.

Several people have patiently explained why they don't think what you say is true. You keep repeating the same thing over and over again despite that. What is the point?

I saw this earlier today and registered it as a very big deal. The clear understanding was a non-functioning prototype on a stage and details of all all the functionality. This is drawings?

I really don't understand where people get drawings from. A journalist asked when they could have pictures of the Model 3 and Elon said at the end of March. Who said anything at any time about drawings?

Yikes.

You guys are reading way too far into a few simple words.

I wonder if Elon and the Tesla crew ever read these forums and have a nice laugh at all the inane nitpicky speculation.
Correction: One guy.

I take that back...others appear to be coming out of the woodwork and running around like chicken littles with this drawings theory.

- - - Updated - - -

So funny. Bolt is real and has been reviewed by several independent car magazines. Tezzluh model 3 will be pictures only lol. Not even model X has been reviewed. Bring on the hate. I have insulted the great Tezzluh.
Troll alert.

Troll alert.

Yes I speak my opinion. So let's call me a troll. Love it! Make me the subject, rather than the financial disaster that is Tesla. Add me to the list of those who ought to be silenced. Or part of the evil conspiracy to kill Tesla (whose Model S I like; I just think the stock trades at ridiculous levels).

And BTW if I am wrong and later this month Tesla rolls out a physical car (like GM did with the Bolt), I'll be the first to admit I am wrong. Don't worry I won't argue that Tesla ought to let anyone actually test drive the Model 3 (like GM did with the Bolt; C&D loved it and they are pretty critical but I digress). For that matter I won't remind everyone that Tesla won't even allow an independent magazine to test drive the Model X. I am sure it is because Tesla ... wait for it ... has so much demand for the X that it cannot even spare one for 2 hours. Hilarious. Please, tell me why reviews are unnecessary for the X. And why Tesla will not make public the Facebook page(s) listing all the problems with the X.

esk8mw is correct. Love the S, hate the X. Valuation seems insane hence I am short. Trying to be objective though and not succumb to my own biases. But I did listen to EM on the video and it does sound like we will get pictures at end of March and not an actual prototype that drives on stage with people giving "oohs" and "aahs". I could be totally wrong.

Have you actually seen a Model X in person and driven it?

It's going to be life size car. Even a clay model would be a joke. Expect it to have everything but do nothing.

Still... How could Elon not unveil the model 3 by setting up a garage door and calling the car to him from his smart phone. Or something with autonomous driving.

It's going to be life size car. Even a clay model would be a joke. Expect it to have everything but do nothing.

Still... How could Elon not unveil the model 3 by setting up a garage door and calling the car to him from his smart phone. Or something with autonomous driving.

You are assuming that there will be an actual "unveiling." We may just get pics released either by themselves or as part of an interview.

You may not believe me (or may not care what I think), but I always assumed that what we'd see in March would be a rendering or teaser image, not a prototype. There are two reasons for that:

1) the Model 3 is a huge deal. Tesla is going to want to milk the anticipation as much as they can. Remember how long the Model X rollout took? The Model 3 will take at least that long.

Driving a Model 3 prototype onto stage would shoot that whole wad, all at once, months and months before production start. I'd be stunned if they did that.

I expect a string of renders/teaser images over the next 12 months; we might see an actual prototype in mid '17, if there are no delays. Which brings me to...

2) my guess is that the Model 3 simply isn't ready to have a full prototype roll onstage. Maybe a "concept" version? That's what they did with the Model X, but given the "coyness" comment from Musk, I'm betting we won't see even a concept.

Yes I speak my opinion. So let's call me a troll. Love it! Make me the subject, rather than the financial disaster that is Tesla. Add me to the list of those who ought to be silenced. Or part of the evil conspiracy to kill Tesla (whose Model S I like; I just think the stock trades at ridiculous levels).

And BTW if I am wrong and later this month Tesla rolls out a physical car (like GM did with the Bolt), I'll be the first to admit I am wrong. Don't worry I won't argue that Tesla ought to let anyone actually test drive the Model 3 (like GM did with the Bolt; C&D loved it and they are pretty critical but I digress). For that matter I won't remind everyone that Tesla won't even allow an independent magazine to test drive the Model X. I am sure it is because Tesla ... wait for it ... has so much demand for the X that it cannot even spare one for 2 hours. Hilarious. Please, tell me why reviews are unnecessary for the X. And why Tesla will not make public the Facebook page(s) listing all the problems with the X.

-laugh- Tesla doesn't run those facebook pages. Owners do.

If the rest of your *opinion* is as well-researched as your claims about Tesla running the facebook groups, then this may be why no one is actually taking you seriously.

My take was pictures will be revealed when the prototype is, end of march. In other words no pictures before the prototype. Also, not all specs to be revealed at that time either but probably some basics (weren't the initial S and X reveals about the same way?)

Was just doing some youtube searching of what was released for the Model S in 2011, I respectfully disagree that all we're going to see are some pictures. However, I think they won't lay all their cards on the table, as that will keep the hype and speculation up which is good business! ;)

esk8mw is correct. Love the S, hate the X. Valuation seems insane hence I am short. Trying to be objective though and not succumb to my own biases. But I did listen to EM on the video and it does sound like we will get pictures at end of March and not an actual prototype that drives on stage with people giving "oohs" and "aahs". I could be totally wrong.

Not drives on stage != pictures. 2D bad. 3D OK. Drives on stage pointless, but perception better. Drives

Yes I speak my opinion. So let's call me a troll.
There's a way to express your opinion to engage actual discussion, and then there's a way to express your opinion that is little more than a call for attention or to indicate an underlying agenda. The intentional and juvenile misspelling of Tesla to look clever blew your cover. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Not drives on stage != pictures. 2D bad. 3D OK. Drives on stage pointless, but perception better. Drives
You Tarzan? :)

What "channel checks" could those analysts be using?

It doesn't make that much sense to me. A "channel check" should mean that they check with a supplier and figure out how production is going based on how many parts they order from their subs. The "channel" for Model X orders is very short indeed and could really only come from Tesla. Presumably they are trying to say that Model X reservations are turning into orders at a lower rate than they expected, but its pretty useless without knowing a lot more.

The talk from Elon that generated the article at InsideEV's is pretty clear. I personally thought it was pretty clear. Tesla will reveal the pre-production Model 3 just like they did with the Model S in 2009 and the Model X in 2012. You will see what it will look like and many of the basic features including range. Elon will possibly give out the specific pack size but even if he doesn't it will be pretty obvious from the range. The touchscreen interface will likely be shown for its size but not the exact way it will fit into the interior. That fits the S and X reveal too.

Reservations will open just after the event concludes with people at the reveal event getting a head start on everyone else.

I've predicted this on many occasions that Tesla will get 50K reservations within 24 hours.

There is another thread about this. The funny thing is that Elon specifically says in the discussion that his words will be over scrutinized and someone will print some crazy exaggeration that will go viral. And what do you know....

1/31/2016: Speaking at a special event at Tesla’s base in Chambourcy, France, Tesla CEO Elon Musk hinted at a staggered unveiling for the Model 3 similar to that which we saw for the Model X SUV. “The first pictures of the Model 3 will be end of March” Musk said. “I am being a little coy here, we are not gonna show everything about the Model 3 until a lot closer to production time.”

So basically, we get drawings? Pretty disappointing. Quick, someone spin this as a positive.
LOL. So some people actually think that Tesla wouldn't realize that people would be disappointed if the reveal turned out to be just pictures? That's crazy. I'm certain that they'd sooner delay the reveal to have a prototype available rather than opening a curtain with a giant photo behind it.