Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

March Model 3 Unveil just drawings? No actual car? Disappointed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't be surprised if there is only artwork and minor details. Maybe a clay model at best. It wouldn't be a disappointment to me as that is exactly what I was expecting. With Model X just now starting to roll off the line, I would be massively impressed if they have a rolling prototype Model 3. Regardless, I'm sure it will beat the Faraday Future reveal. :p

They had a rolling prototype of the Model X WAYYY back in February 2012 at the first reveal. Of course, it looked quite different than what they finally produced.
Tesla Model X Reveal - YouTube

I can just imagine Elon on stage with his usual style holding a stack of 3-4 glossy 8x10s and proclaiming that it is the car of the future. Get real! Tesla had a prototype Model S in 2009. They are a much bigger company today. Do you not think that they can build a prototype of the company's most important product to date?

We will see a real vehicle on stage in March. It might only go 10mph and be a "concept", but it will look 95% like the final product.

History has proven that Tesla pretty much ships production cars that look like their prototypes. A few exterior tweaks and mostly changes to the interior but the overall looks remain intact. Compare that to say the GM Volt concept and the production car and you can be glad the way Tesla does things.

History has proven that Tesla pretty much ships production cars that look like their prototypes. A few exterior tweaks and mostly changes to the interior but the overall looks remain intact. Compare that to say the GM Volt concept and the production car and you can be glad the way Tesla does things.

History's n in this case = 2. That's a pretty small data set (and, anyway, I would argue that both the S and X looked very different in final form than they looked in prototype form--the S especially). It's certainly possible that Tesla will show a prototype at some sort of reveal event. It's also possible that they will send out an email with teaser pics, as they did at least once during the (very, very long) Model X reveal process.

History's n in this case = 2. That's a pretty small data set (and, anyway, I would argue that both the S and X looked very different in final form than they looked in prototype form--the S especially). It's certainly possible that Tesla will show a prototype at some sort of reveal event. It's also possible that they will send out an email with teaser pics, as they did at least once during the (very, very long) Model X reveal process.

You also go with what works. Tesla has had 3 successes with the S, X, and Tesla Energy presentations. The Model S had about 10K reservations in place before the first car shipped. The Model X had over 30K reservations before the first car shipped. I'll add that the Powerwall and Powerpack presentation had 38,000 reservations in one week. So what Tesla is doing works. Why do things differently? They will have at least one and probably two to three working prototypes. The final production version will not be dramatically different than the prototype they show during the reveal presentation, IMHO.

You also go with what works. Tesla has had 3 successes with the S, X, and Tesla Energy presentations. The Model S had about 10K reservations in place before the first car shipped. The Model X had over 30K reservations before the first car shipped. I'll add that the Powerwall and Powerpack presentation had 38,000 reservations in one week. So what Tesla is doing works. Why do things differently? They will have at least one and probably two to three working prototypes. The final production version will not be dramatically different than the prototype they show during the reveal presentation, IMHO.

That's possible. If the design is as far along as it probably should be, maybe they will follow this logic. I still think if I were Elon I might want to milk it a little more.

And while I don't want to disappoint investors, I also don't want to get people so excited about the Model 3 that they stop buying the Model S.

If it were me, I'd do a teaser in March with enough specs/design details to convince people that things were moving forward, but I'd hold off on the reveal until later in the year--or maybe early '17.

But then again, Elon knows a ******** more about showmanship than I do.

Who wants to bet that the next cars after the Y will be the Tesla LE followed by the Tesla GS, stranger things have happened knowing Elon's sense of humor :cool:

If y'all remember, the driveable alpha prototype of Model S, when the first "spy pics" of it caught in the wild on the road were taken, *had no interior*. Loose wiring everywhere.

If that's the stage they're at with Model 3, they might be willing to show photos of the exterior of an actual prototype, but totally unwilling to let anyone get up on stage and look inside.

Even if the interior is in the state which the Model S interior was in at the formal reveal (with completely different seats from the production seats, among other things), they might not want people looking too much at the inside.

If I were to guess based on Tesla's history, I'd guess the exterior is pretty much designed and the prototype is driveable, but they may have a lot of interior decisions left to make. To avoid confusion they might not show off a totally-not-final interior.

Last edited:
Well, congratulations @valuationmatters. That video was available for days before this thread, but now I've seen 3 different news sources questioning whether or not the March event will be a power point presentation. FUD +1, Reasoned patience 0.

great i just read a story on cnn that they are not making the model 3 plan to skip to the model 7 instead should be out on 7-7-77

they plan to have 7,777,777 ready to sell by then price dropped to $7,777 but you have to buy 7 at a time and can only buy them on the 7th of the month at either 7 am or 7pm
and you have to drive to a 7-11 immediately for the first of your 7 free drinks you also get a free 7 min 77 percent charge hook up

Last edited: