Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

March Model 3 Unveil just drawings? No actual car? Disappointed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on vacation at the moment and my rental car is a 2015 Toyota Prius. It's been a long time since I've driven a sedan with a low ceiling but I have to say, visibility out the front is horrible. The windshield ends too soon as the cross brace hinders my vision and I can't always see the street signals overhead. Given Model X I'd like to see that windshield size on Model 3. I'd gladly give up the sunroof for that!!

Lets assume for a minute that this actually is a drawing from Tesla. Why should I believe this is what the Model 3 would like?
There were many drawings with only one drawing that matters and I doubt this is it. To imply this is what the Model 3 will look like is conjecture at best.

I agree. It's likely the final production car details will be different from this Tesla concept drawing. The overall scale and size should be about the same. The Model 3 seems to combine elements from both the S and the X. It's difficult to tell from the drawing, but it looks like the rear will open like an S. I like it.

An actual drawing (from Tesla) for those who just can't wait.
Basically, it's a smaller version of the Model S.

View attachment 110504
Nice job trying to throw smoke and mirrors. This is a concept drawing of the Model X from 2012:
http://www.parismatch.com/Vivre/Automobile/Tesla-Model-X-le-SUV-qui-a-du-jus-443041
Race.jpg

Elon should start the presentation by only showing a photo just to troll everyone... Then roll out the car after.

I predict a car like normal, and then "promo shots" like what you see on the model S/X pages officially released on the website is what he meant when he said that

Where's the like button. I'd go as far as Elon going on for 5 minutes with a boring slide show! LOL

People realize pmadflyer pointed that out yesterday, right?

Of course, Stop just provided proof.

This thread is full of almost nothing but speculation. It's good entertainment, but try not to take things so seriously.
An actual drawing (from Tesla) for those who just can't wait.
Basically, it's a smaller version of the Model S.
You made a statement that the unclear drawing you posted was "a smaller version of the Model S", which it was not.

TeslaMundo on the Model 3 Reveal:
When MPG becomes MEH | TeslaMondo

Yesterday, Tesla told Bloomberg to expect a "really great update" late next month regarding Model 3.

Really great update? Why can't you just say you're going to unveil it like you did in previous shareholder letters? Tesla trying to mess with us? :/

Edit: here is a Road & Track article from 2/2. R&T reached out for clarification on this stupid 'pictures' thing and were told by Tesla to expect an update in a week or two (presumably earnings call). Why so secret, Tesla? Why not call it an unveil?
Tesla's Model 3 Reveal Next Month Won't Show the Whole Car

Last edited:
Not really as the vagueness comes from Tesla. The thread starter yes, but now there has been other vague statements.

No, it does not. The "vagueness" comes from journalists that quote an answer Elon gave in a meeting, but "forgot" to quote what the question was. When you know the question then the answer is in no way vague. Yes, they will show a car - not only pictures. And the first pictures of the car will be from the unveiling - as Elon did say. The car they will be showing is a alpha prototype, not a vague "concept" car. But it will be some differences between the prototype and the production version.

Anything else is at this moment just FUD and pointless speculations.

Well this is pretty vague:

Khobi Brooklyn, the Tesla spokeswoman, declined to offer any details about the car beyond its sticker price. "The Model 3 is on time, and everyone is going to learn more about it at the end of March," she said. "That's when we've committed to talking about it and giving a really great update, and that's what we're going to do."

I think a reasonable person would have expected her to say something like "Everyone is going to see it at the end of March." Talk about it? Really great update?

If they are not going to show the car then they can't take reservations. Better to delay it then I think. There is too much vague stuff going on now that assuming with 100% probability there will be a real car at the unveil is hard to do.

You are too funny. I put down $40,000 on a Tesla no one had seen, three and a half years before it was delivered. So did a lot of other people. You CAN take reservations. And the company was a lot less sure at that time than it is now.

All the people out there now that have no faith, no hope, want to see Tesla fail, they won't take out a reservation until they can drive the car for themselves. Or maybe not until they see it on a franchised dealer's lot. It must be like it always was for the last hundred years.

Fear. Uncertainty. Doubt.