Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Marchionne says making a faster, better Tesla roadster for Ferrari is easy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
J

jbcarioca

In Automotive news Europe today Marchionne said doing better than Tesla Roadster is easy:

Attachments

• Merchionne on easy bev.pdf
    134.8 KB · Views: 68
In fairness he didn't say doing better than Tesla Roadster is "easy".... he essentially said matching what Elon has done is "doable" and that going from hybrid to full electric is easy:

“If there is an electric supercar to be built, then Ferrari will be the first,” Marchionne said. “People are amazed at what Tesla did with a supercar. I’m not trying to minimize what Elon did but I think it’s doable by all of us.”
“We do it because we have to do it,” Marchionne said. While there is work to be done, the new plan for Ferrari being released in the first half will include hybrid cars, he said, “so going from there to an electric is easy.”

OTOH, given Ferrari's performance in F1 the last few years and their failure to get on board with Formula E I remain skeptical that they'll seriously compete with a full BEV roadster.

OTOH, given Ferrari's performance in F1 the last few years and their failure to get on board with Formula E I remain skeptical that they'll seriously compete with a full BEV roadster.
Well, like he said in the article, they will do it only when they HAVE to. So basically whenever the EU forces them. They have too much identity wrapped up in their rattle traps to switch on their own and really they have no financial reason. The v4 Tesla Roadster may start to change that but for now they are doing just fine.

I think that we have gotten to the point where power is becoming a commodity. It appears to be just a question of the size of your battery.
There's obviously much more to a car, but all the complicated engine stuff has been rendered meaningless.

I think that we have gotten to the point where power is becoming a commodity. It appears to be just a question of the size of your battery.
There's obviously much more to a car, but all the complicated engine stuff has been rendered meaningless.
Indeed. Any ‘idiot’ can buy a large electric motor and put it in a car.

The main challenge is a battery which performs well on these points:

- Wh/kg
- kW/kg
- Charging

You need to fix all three of those to make a true electric supercar. It’s not the motor.

Reactions: jkn and Mark77a
2013: “We will never manufacture an electric car as long as I’m chairman.” says Ferrari chairman Luca di Montezemolo.

2016: “We would not follow to develop a fully electric car,” said Michael Leiters, Ferrari's technology head, at the Paris Motor Show, according to Car and Driver. “We are convinced that it’s right to have a hybrid car because, for us, the sound is a very crucially important characteristic of a Ferrari, and our customers want to have this," he added.

2017: Middle East CEO Dieter Knechtel said that the idea of a fully autonomous, fully electric Ferrari is simply "not fitting with the brand. To be honest with you, I don't see our clients in a self-driving, autonomous Ferrari. Electrification is very important for us, but there will not be any 100 percent electric car coming from Ferrari".

Pretty much sums it up. Dragging, kicking, and screaming.

Talk is cheap. Everyone else says its easy and its always going to happen in two years. Where are the electric cars that are Better than Tesla? They don't have any that compete with Tesla from years back.
Please stop talking about it and just do it. I love Tesla but I would welcome more Electric Car Makers. We need to get off the gas.

Reactions: PJFW8