Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Marina Charging - NEMA L5-30P to NEMA 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, yes, I think that is the reduction because of sensed voltage drop. When that gets triggered, it will try again with three fourths of the current it was trying before. Using 18 instead of 24 seems to indicate that.

Good to know!

I had a look at the first plug I was using that would change to 12/12A. It doesn't look so good ... though this is actually pretty common at marinas :(

Attachments

• PXL_20210827_012853993.jpg
    PXL_20210827_012853993.jpg
    653.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and brkaus
Good to know!

I had a look at the first plug I was using that would change to 12/12A. It doesn't look so good ... though this is actually pretty common at marinas :(
Personally, I would not plug anything into that until a qualified electrician inspected the wiring and replaced the outlet.

In all probability, people are unplugging cables while they're still drawing significant power. That would lead to arcing, and the melting/burning of the outlet. Regardless of the reason, that outlet should get replaced, as there could be far more serious damage that's not visible.

Personally, I would not plug anything into that until a qualified electrician inspected the wiring and replaced the outlet.

In all probability, people are unplugging cables while they're still drawing significant power. That would lead to arcing, and the melting/burning of the outlet. Regardless of the reason, that outlet should get replaced, as there could be far more serious damage that's not visible.

I think this is the standard practice by 99% of boaters and it drives me up the ****ing wall. I always flip breakers before moving cables, and I see other people hot plugging all the time. They have no concept of electrical arcing. Get a load of this amazing cable (which is also extremely common) on my dock.

Gee, I wonder why boat insurance is skyrocketing lately.

Attachments

• PXL_20210712_184745302.jpg
    PXL_20210712_184745302.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 44