Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Marina Del Rey Delivery (Los Angeles Area)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read somewhere recently that when you pick up your car here your first step is to sign the papers and then they update your App and you go find you car on the lot. Is this true? When I got my S in Fremont I did sign my papers first and then I was taken into the delivery showroom for an overview of the car (not real helpful) and then I drove off. With the recent build quality issues you would think they would allow you to look at the car first to make sure there is no obvious issue. I do know the current policy is you have a number of days or 1,000 miles to return without a problem (right) so maybe no major concern.

I would like others who when thru this at Marina Del Rey or maybe other locations.

Same process at Marina del Rey. After you check in there's a seating area with tables at the front of the holding area. They go over all the documents and have you sign them. Then they walk you over to the holding area to look at the car and go over the features, etc and ask questions. Afterwards they drive the car out to the front parking lot. At that time they explicitly told me that I can take as much time as I would like to inspect the car for any issues. They told me as long as I don't drive the car off the lot I could request repairs or refuse delivery of the car. My guess is that it's standard process to have everyone sign the papers first so you don't just drive off with the car but this shouldn't affect your ability to inspect the car and make any changes.

Same process at Marina del Rey. After you check in there's a seating area with tables at the front of the holding area. They go over all the documents and have you sign them. Then they walk you over to the holding area to look at the car and go over the features, etc and ask questions. Afterwards they drive the car out to the front parking lot. At that time they explicitly told me that I can take as much time as I would like to inspect the car for any issues. They told me as long as I don't drive the car off the lot I could request repairs or refuse delivery of the car. My guess is that it's standard process to have everyone sign the papers first so you don't just drive off with the car but this shouldn't affect your ability to inspect the car and make any changes.
Thanks. They also have this 7 day and < 1,000 miles return policy. This car is for my wife and she is a bit more picky then I am. But maybe not as picky as some I seen on here. I love my Model S and want to make sure she is very comfortable with her purchase.

Return Policy

I read somewhere recently that when you pick up your car here your first step is to sign the papers and then they update your App and you go find you car on the lot. Is this true? When I got my S in Fremont I did sign my papers first and then I was taken into the delivery showroom for an overview of the car (not real helpful) and then I drove off. With the recent build quality issues you would think they would allow you to look at the car first to make sure there is no obvious issue. I do know the current policy is you have a number of days or 1,000 miles to return without a problem (right) so maybe no major concern.

I would like others who when thru this at Marina Del Rey or maybe other locations.

My car was delivered last July so I don't know how much things have changed but it was pretty easy process. I arrived around 15 mins before my scheduled appointment, there were a few employees seated outside I'm assuming waiting for people picking up their cars. They then took me to a waiting area where they had refreshments and couches. Hung out there for a few minutes before a DS came to get me. We went over all the documents which took about 15-20 mins. We then walked over to where my car was parked inside the delivery center and they went over very basic functionality as well as pairing the car with my phone. I would recommend downloading the Tesla app if you haven't already. They then drove the car outside into the parking lot where they gave me all the time in world to look at and inspect the car. I let them know of a few issues I had at delivery and they noted them as well as set me up with service appointment to fix everything. Another DS came over and went into a lot more detail of all the different settings, driver profiles, and what not. I spent a good 30-45 mins outside inspecting the car and just sitting in it to be honest. Not once did I feel pressured to hurry and leave. As soon as I put the car in drive and was leaving the lot, the entire Tesla staff outside waved and congratulated. Pretty awesome experience.

We took a test drive today and all went well and my wife wants to buy. I was planning to come home and place the order and he said if I gave him the build information he might be able to get the car earlier. I said oh you mean an Inventory Car? He said yes. I said I really do not want an inventory car and he said once you place the order they will try to match your order with a car in inventory wether you want that or not. Anyway, he said he would check inventory and we went to dinner. We I got back he was not there (another test drive so I talked to another person that was on loan there from the Marina Del Rey Distribution. He is a DES. So I discussed with him. I said what if I order the car and they find an inventory car but I said I do not want it I want a new custom order from the factory. He said needed to think about that since it has not happened to him.

I might take an inventory car if it just came from the factory and had not been setting there for a long time. Also, if it is inventory it could also be one of the cars that just came off the assembly line in a rush at the end of the quarter. Also, I have heard that someone got a car in May and said it was a HW2.5 car which was not supposed to happen. Anyway, maybe he got a older inventory car and they simply did not tell him. My point is I want a HW3 car and I do not mind waiting 2 or 3 weeks to get it from Fremont.

Also, not really a trusting person overall. When I got my Model S in September 2017. The guy said I might be able to get you a car in inventory faster which at the time was taking a longer period of time. I said not sure I want an inventory car because I want HW2.5. He said that HW2.0 and HW2.5 is the EXACT SAME hardware. I argued a bit but then let it go. He checked inventory and said my car was not in inventory so that was the end of that.

I just check "existing inventory" within 25 miles of me and they have 3 red with black interior dual motor that we want but we want the upgraded wheels. Not sure they would match one of those or not. However, they all have < 5 miles. I understand that employees have a better way to check and they might also match a car that is more miles away and will deliver close to me.

Anybody else have this kind of experience with custom order and inventory cars?