Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm holding some Jan 2019 $500 calls that are down about 50% from when I bought them mid last year. Do you suggest that I take the loss and get out of them, or continue to hold hoping for a miracle comeback? I would roll them forward, but unfortunately, I'm completely out of powder and I do not want to get deeper into Margin after what happened the last 2 weeks.

If you are YOLO-ing with both high leverage OTM option AND margin. You are doing it wrong.

Thankfully, we just exited the recent XIV debacle so we are at a local trough. I recommend getting rid of some of the margins once your positions turn positive so that you do not get stopped out by a black swan.

That's very helpful, thanks.

Just to clarify, the 400 Jan 19 options make up only 7% of my Tesla holdings at this time with the rest being stock.

Is any portion of your Tesla investment OTM leaps like the 400 1/19? If so, what percentage?

The way I see it, if these options go to 0, I still have 93% of my investment.

But if they end up in the money, it would give me reason to exercise the options (even on margin) and that would almost double my number of shares. Hopefully I would have a profit cushion that I could let these shares ride and possibly go higher, while giving me time to get out without losing my initial capital investment if things turn south.

Just trying to think it out.

But I see your point, most people see this option as perhaps too risky and would play it safer.
In my IRA, my current allocation is about 15% shares, 45% LEAPS, and 40% April and June calls. I sold all of my March calls recently and sold about 1/3 of my April calls so far on this climb. All of the near term calls are ITM or ATM. Those I buy on 10%+ dips and sell on the way up. I often don't get them entirely sold on the climb and end up riding back down with some of them, which isn't fun. I would not personally buy those calls except after a solid dip. Whenever you buy them, you want to be extremely confident the stock will rise over the next 6 weeks. If you think it may take longer to rise then go further out.

For my LEAP allocation, I have: 18% J19 $300s, 68% J19 $350s, and the remainder in J19 $400s.

It would be ideal to sell all calls including LEAPs on the way up and then load up again after a dip. You can get lucky once and awhile, but that's pretty much impossible to do consistently. The big risk is that you sell all of your LEAPs and don't get back in with them as the stock starts a huge climb. For instance, if you are waiting for a 10%+ dip to buy calls, the stock may only drop 7% and then go up 27%, as it did in May/June 2017. You would kick yourself for trying to get too tricky trading the volatility and missing the forest for the trees. The safer approach is to at least hold a majority of shares or DITM/ITM/ATM LEAPs long term. On a dip, sell some shares or DITM LEAPs and buy something more aggressive to hold for a 10%+ rise. It comes down to personal risk tolerance, but I've recently moved towards ITM/ATM calls with a strike price 2 to 3 months out. I have strong confidence the stock will rise from a dip within 6 weeks. For calls like these, that you hold for 2 - 4 weeks, there is no sense in paying for the time value of LEAPs. The gain with these calls is excellent even with a modest rise. You will typically gain 50 - 100% with a 10 - 15% rise. Again though, the trick is getting them sold before the next dip.

If you look at the last 10 dips of at least 7%, the stock has always rallied back up a minimum of 7% and often 10%+ before the next dip. Plus, it usually does so very quickly. Again, looking at the last 10 dips, it was back up 10%+ within 4 trading days 8 times. The other 2 times, it took 11 and 15 days. Of course, there are times it goes up much more than 10%, so you have to decide how long to hold on those calls. Once you sell them, it may make sense to buy shares so you still benefit from a further rise, just not as much. Once the stock dips again, sell the shares and repeat. In my experience with this strategy, the more conservative you are, the better you do. If you get greedy and buy calls early when the stock is falling or hold them for a bigger climb, you can definitely get hurt. Stick to ITM/ATM. I'm not recommending this for you, just telling you what I have gravitated towards at this point.

Reactions: sdtslafan
Yes, there is a "trading strategies" thread. We should use that to discuss this stuff, particularly if most here don't want to be bothered with this stuff. I don't think many visit that thread, which is why these strategies probably show up here. There's quite a bit of overlap.

Will that be like a shareholders meeting or just a vote?
Meeting only for this single vote, no other business. No Elon.

Edit: from notice:
Tesla will transact no other business at the Special Meeting except such business as may properly be brought before the Special Meeting or any adjournment or postponement thereof. Please note that Elon will recuse himself from attending any forum at which decisions regarding the CEO Performance Award are made, at both the Board and stockholder levels. Accordingly, Elon will not be present at the Special Meeting, nor will there be a Tesla presentation or questions and answers session as in past meetings of stockholders.

Double edit color commentary
24tqv6.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: MitchJi and Tenable
Thanks, Jonathan. Why are those threads so dead? It seems that all of that stuff takes place here now.

I think people forget or don't know.

We did use them but as time passed people started putting their strategies/trades here instead. Old-timers knew about them but old timers don't post their strategies a lot anymore, in general. IMO, the strategies got overrun by extremely bullish postings about 'buy now, the SP is about to explode upward' now, or at the latest, tomorrow.:rolleyes:

We did use them but as time passed people started putting their strategies/trades here instead. Old-timers knew about them but old timers don't post their strategies a lot anymore, in general. IMO, the strategies got overrun by extremely bullish postings about 'buy now, the SP is about to explode upward' now, or at the latest, tomorrow.:rolleyes:

I’m curious why couldn’t this wait until the annual shareholder meeting in the summer?

Cause the SP will explode by then! Buy now! ;)

’m curious why couldn’t this wait until the annual shareholder meeting in the summer?

I agree with the implication that there is a reason. Possible categories (not equal in likelihood) include:
1. There is a secondary time-dependent decision (e.g. a potential CEO replacement for Elon needs to decide between Tesla and another opportunity).
2. PR - a desire to avoid contentious discussion at the annual shareholders meeting (get it all out now and let the dust settle before the summer meeting). Unlikely.
3. A procedural effect on the vote (e.g. if a proxy vote now makes it easier for “yes” votes or more difficult for “no” votes to be cast). Unlikely
4. Tesla valuation will favorably change in the next 6 months, such that the first milestone(s) will be closer, giving credence to the argument that the early tranches are too easy to achieve.
5. The Board expects Tesla to struggle in the next six months such that voters will be less favorably disposed to retaining Elon at the cost of a generous compensation package.

I favor #4. The Board thinks there is some factor in the offing that is not currently priced in the stock, such as:
- an impending acquisition or joint venture (e.g. Waymo and Tesla share mutually advantageous technology and/or talent analogous to the cooperation between Google and SpaceX on Starlink).
- step change in autonomy
- step change in Tesla Energy (grid scale contracts, battery tech improvement, etc)
- step change in some other technology (e.g. solar cells, materials science, etc)
- a business model disruption by Tesla that the market is not pricing (e.g. Tesla Network rollout, etc)
- improvement in Model 3 ramp to a degree not currently considered plausible by the market
- information regarding Model Y and/or semi (timing of launch, factory location, etc).
- information regarding additional Gigafactory locations and/or partners

Nasdaq is closed today!

Bloody hell, how do I keep myself occupied then? I might be forced to do some work :eek:

TE seems to be going in the right direction, with lots of little news stories popping-up about new insatllations. These aren't trumpeted by Tesla, but could be a dark-horse for future ER's

Status
Not open for further replies.