Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m hopeful for 100k model 3s this year and 400k in 2019
100k this year would be an absolute disaster, it would mean no meaningful improvement in production rate for the rest of the year. Why would it not be possible to improve this year, but magically improve production rate x4 as of jan 2019?

I am expecting for entire year about 190k. This assumes Tesla continuing to ramp production post hitting 5k mark. With target of 6250/week by September and 7500 by December. Tesla may be closer to 5k by June but may be few hundred car below the target. Continuing ramp throughout second half will help Tesla to produce more than 5k per week in q3. If Tesla decides to optimize existing lines for about quarter post June and then begin ramp to 10k then in that case yearly production could be around 160 to 170k.

I am expecting for entire year about 190k. This assumes Tesla continuing to ramp production post hitting 5k mark. With target of 6250/week by September and 7500 by December. Tesla may be closer to 5k by June but may be few hundred car below the target. Continuing ramp throughout second half will help Tesla to produce more than 5k per week in q3. If Tesla decides to optimize existing lines for about quarter post June and then begin ramp to 10k then in that case yearly production could be around 160 to 170k.

Since we’re getting an extra $7B in revenue from the 3 what the hell is SP doing at $300

Reactions: Skryll
Since we’re getting an extra $7B in revenue from the 3 what the hell is SP doing at $300

I guess what matters is gross profit rather than revenue. Gross profit depends on margins and with the current and near term production rates the margins are probably a far cry from the aim of ~20-25% - even when accounting for the fact that the currently sold vehicles are LR/PUP models. The SP will go higher when Tesla achieves the projected gross profit and a healthier balance sheet.

A deep draft at low tide is a bad thing.

And this is where the wave of literary license breaks on the rocky shore of literal interpretation.
If boat height = stock price, then bottoming the boat while others are still going down is a good thing. (Better yet if the boat has a wide bottom so it doesn't tip over. Further, one hopes the bottom is sandy so the kneel does not get embedded in muck preventing the future rise with the tide)
:)

It has been exceedingly quiet on the 3 VIN threads. I'm all out, except for retirement shares. Nothing's gonna happen on the positive side for the SP until we see real movement on the 3 deliveries.

Okay, bullish again. Time to load up the truck. Even though we've seen evidence of the ramp taking shape in the form of invites/VIN assignments, Mr. Market is still in denial.

Invites and VIN assignments are real things, meaning Tesla isn't sending those out to manipulate the stock.

Okay, bullish again. Time to load up the truck. Even though we've seen evidence of the ramp taking shape in the form of invites/VIN assignments, Mr. Market is still in denial.

Invites and VIN assignments are real things, meaning Tesla isn't sending those out to manipulate the stock.

My truck is sitting on its bounce bumpers and the tires are threatening to blow. Really don't want to be near it if we hit another speed bump or rough patch, but along for the ride anyway.

• Funny
Reactions: BornToFly and JRP3
No, but I've been following that ratio since 2012. We're quite a bit lower than historical norms

This is definitely a much better time to buy than a year ago. The unknown are Macros which could pull us down further, although I don't understand why, because nothing domestically or internationally would affect Tesla at this point. They will be production constrained, not demand constrained, for years.

Does anyone have a good source for market cap on historical dates? I’d like to plot a market cap:revenue ratio (p/s ratio, basically) over time.

gurufocus will let you plot PS ratio over time and things like share price at median PS ratio ($581.50 at 1/1/2018:)).

Tesla Inc Interactive Charts --GuruFocus.com

PSGuruFocusChart.png

No, but I've been following that ratio since 2012. We're quite a bit lower than historical norms

That’s what got me interested. I looked at P/S for Nov/Dec 2016 (when SP ~ $180), and it was higher than it is now. That’s enough to know that now is a great time to buy (assuming medium-long time horizon), but I think it can be useful in the future as an indicator of when to hold & even when to trim my position.

Edit: 2016, not 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.