Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Make up a plan, what percentage of your money should be invested in Tesla? Will you have new cash to invest in the future?
If you are significantly behind your planned target, buy now. If you are already more than the planned target, just sit.

Do not buy and sell frequently to maintain the percentage. If an underlying stock doubled/tripled which causes it's percentage to grow a lot, it's ok to sit on the gain. Check intrinsic value and competitive landscape, instead of predicting the price movement.

Good advice. I had some cash sitting in a bank collecting small interest (basically collecting dust) so I started investing in TSLA few weeks ago, during the dip, and I have been slowly adding more and more shares. The more I learn about TSLA the better the long term outlook looks, the more I like to add. I think I will stay and play the long game, but if I ever need some cash I can easily sell.

I freed up some cash and I am trying to figure out if I should hold until the next quarterly earnings come in (which shorts will no doubt have a field trip with) and wait for better buying opportunity then, or just buy now and get it over with. Decisions, decisions.....
IMO the more important question is when do you see you selling the shares. If you know the time/price you're exiting, then the question of when/where to enter should answer itself.

Both sides are battling hard right now. I think we should prevail. Once the line is up and running in a few days I see us above $300 again.
We really need to get up above $310 to bring back buyers and instill some real fear in shorts. Below is going to remain choppy with shorts continuing to jump in on bounces, creating pop and flops like today. I'm not sure what it will take to ultimately punch through $310, but it doesn't seem likely in the near term. I'd like to think it will happen before Q3 but I'm not sure what will do it.

Reactions: elasalle and stef
Shorts have pretty much won the battle since the first 30 minutes. If they drop us below $292 before close, that starts to set up $292 as the new high level battle ground with $282 the low. Frankly, I think longs are getting pretty demoralized with the stock movement. I didn't add today because the shorts regained control so quickly. I thought about selling my June calls but decided to hold on for now. In hindsight, I wish I had sold them, but I don't have very many. My TSLA allocation is about 90% shares.

honestly, gonna be disappointed if we stay low 290's today.

Now you're just setting yourself up to be pissed there, Bobby, be happy that low-290's would be ~2% up on yesterday, rejoice! The fact that it fell ~2% yesterday for no apparent reason is irrelevant...

In all seriousness, I think Elon has cried wolf too many times for the markets to react with anything other than scepticism. We need show, not tell.

I'm convinced CNBC's "coverage" of Tesla are paid ads. Paid for by the bears, and other enemies whose businesses are being disrupted.

They never talk about the Model S or X, which are being manufactured in more numbers than ever before and generate profit.

It's always about the Model 3, which I suppose is just whatever newest car Tesla is ramping up.

Rewind a couple of years and they were saying the same thing about the Model X. Fast forward a couple of years and they will be saying the same thing about the Model Y. Each time, the narrative will be that Tesla needs more capital, that they are behind schedule with their current ramp-up, and that Tesla never meet their schedule goals. Two years from now the Model 3 will be a cash cow, but I don't think that will hold back CNBC from complaining about the Model Y.

I'm convinced CNBC's "coverage" of Tesla are paid ads. Paid for by the bears, and other enemies whose businesses are being disrupted.

They never talk about the Model S or X, which are being manufactured in more numbers than ever before and generate profit.

CNBC is part of the Liberal Fake News establishment, along with Faux News and others.

Public media is the most trustworthy. Overseas media like the BBC is less prone to bias.

From the email, there does appear to be a sudden need to hire more employees in order to increase the production rate. That seems like a new development. Perhaps shifting the approach to a little less automation at this point? Did anyone else think this seems like a shift in approach to more manual and less automation? That would be expected to have some negative effect on gross margins, but I don't know how much.

Since GF1 has been the limiting factor for Model 3 production, it doesn't make sense to have the Model 3 production line fully staffed until now. With the Grohmann line being integrated at GF1, now it makes sense to ramp up the labor in Fremont. What this means for gross margin is unknown since we don't know the original plan. There is definitely a higher ongoing cost with humans, but there may be lower capex. Also, there was a pretty high labor component for auto-manual pack production that might get scaled back as the Grohmann line proves itself. The drive unit production lines obviously also need to scale up. The net labor hours per vehicle might not be all that different.

I had always been surprised about how they were going to have the ramp over the fall of 2017. And then at the Q3 ER they talked about reducing the headcount to make the Model S/X and using it on the 3. That makes perfect sense. But we know that the Model 3 had a failure to launch and so that headcount was used to crank out S/X which has a lot of humans in the GA line.

• Informative
Reactions: bdy0627 and EinSV
We really need to get up above $310 to bring back buyers and instill some real fear in shorts. Below is going to remain choppy with shorts continuing to jump in on bounces, creating pop and flops like today. I'm not sure what it will take to ultimately punch through $310, but it doesn't seem likely in the near term. I'd like to think it will happen before Q3 but I'm not sure what will do it.

I would feel a lot better if the stock was at $295-298 today. But I honestly can’t complain if we close above $290 since the factory is retooling and there won’t be any new information for a couple more days. I think what will essentially take us above $300 are more VINs being issued, if this occurs in badges like it did 2 weeks ago then I can see smarter shorts start to closeout their positions. Another take I have is that the $310 mark will emphatically be broken once we know Tesla can reach 2,800-3,000 (I’m predicting this to occur before the end of May). For the time being, I don’t need shorts to close their positions in large quantities. A slow methodical rise to $300 will be enough to psychologically make them think twice. Any news right now can of course tip us one way or the other, I’m betting we’ll get positive news very soon. I think the market is cautiously optimistic at this point. There seems to be a very nice floor between 288-290s right now, I think that floor was cemented by Elon’s revelation of 3 consistent weeks above 2,000.

Perhaps the share lending market is tightening a bit. Fidelity is paying the same 1.75% to share lenders as yesterday, but a good chunk of shares that were returned to me yesterday were lent out again today.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
Now you're just setting yourself up to be pissed there, Bobby, be happy that low-290's would be ~2% up on yesterday, rejoice! The fact that it fell ~2% yesterday for no apparent reason is irrelevant...

In all seriousness, I think Elon has cried wolf too many times for the markets to react with anything other than scepticism. We need show, not tell.

The fact that we’re up pretty nicely today indicates the market is still taking Elon’s words quite seriously. The more conservative buyers, however, remain on the sidelines for now as they await confirmation of the ramp. Once this occurs, where we can tangibly reach 2,800-3,000 M3 by end of May, I think that will be the signal for buyers to return in large numbers.

• Helpful
Reactions: Drax7 and MacRocket
California workplace safety agency opens probe into Tesla
Is this something serious? Looking at the SP probably not, but if employees starts to complain since there are complains, it could cause an issue?

Yes, it's a big deal, could be thousands of $ on the line here. /s

upload_2018-4-18_13-47-54.png

Also from Caroline O'Donovan on Twitter

"Just got off the phone with a Cal/OSHA spokesperson who told me a new health+safety inspection at Tesla's Fremont factory was opened yesterday. The agency can't say what triggered the inspection, except that it wasn't an industrial accident"​

Yes, it's a big deal, could be thousands of $ on the line here. /s

View attachment 295101

Also from Caroline O'Donovan on Twitter

"Just got off the phone with a Cal/OSHA spokesperson who told me a new health+safety inspection at Tesla's Fremont factory was opened yesterday. The agency can't say what triggered the inspection, except that it wasn't an industrial accident"​

I would think, like all inspection agencies that I know of from healthcare to real estate, they investigate 100% of complaints. Doesn’t mean there any substance to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.