Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff Bezos reveals what it's like to build an empire and become the richest man in the world — and why he's willing to spend $1 billion a year to fund the most important mission of his life
Recent interviewer Mathia Dopfner with Jeff Bezos is very informative. It is worth the 43 minutes. There are a lot of parallels between Amazon and Tesla and they become very clear in this interview. Jeff is a very eloquent and sincere speaker. IMO Jeff's best line is at 22:25 "if you are going to do anything new or innovative, you have to be willing to be misunderstood."

EDIT: My reference is to the competition and customers, not to space travel.

Poor Ed is in for an 'tsunami of Curt'

Brave Sir Edward ran away
(No!)
Bravely ran away away
(I didn't!)
When danger reared its ugly head
He bravely turned his tail and fled
(No!)
Yes, brave Sir Edward turned about
(I didn't!)
And gallantly he chickened out
Bravely taking to his feet
(I never did!)
He beat a very brave retreat
(All lies!)
Bravest of the brave, Sir Edward!
(I never!)

Read more: Monty Python - Brave Sir Robin Ran Away Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Jeff Bezos reveals what it's like to build an empire and become the richest man in the world — and why he's willing to spend $1 billion a year to fund the most important mission of his life
Recent interviewer Mathia Dopfner with Jeff Bezos is very informative. It is worth the 43 minutes. There are a lot of parallels between Amazon and Tesla and they become very clear in this interview. Jeff is a very eloquent and sincere speaker. IMO Jeff's best line is at 22:25 "if you are going to do anything new or innovative, you have to be willing to be misunderstood."

Agreed.

Reactions: neroden
At least Exxon finished down today, so there's that...
The XOM stock price is right where it was in 2008. Down a bit, actually. For holding it, you would have gotten a 2%-4% dividend. Better than T-bills, I guess, but far worse than the S&P 500, let alone Amazon or Tesla.

My absolute best investment decision ever was to sell all my oil stocks during the 2008 peak (and we had over half our investments in oil stocks at the time).

The legal troubles are piling up for Exxon, as it stonewalls in legal cases where it really shouldn't; jhm's models indicate that oil demand will drop faster than oil supply starting around 2023; and Exxon has an expensive oil production cost structure compared to Aramco or Lukoil. And the board refuses to diversify. Exxon won't be a $340-billion company for long. Tillerson figured this out and engineered the slickest exit I've ever seen.

(He convinced the Board of Exxon to allow him to sell all his restricted stock, which was supposed to be locked up for up to 10 years; instead he gets cash, based on the *current* value of Exxon stock rather than the future much lower value, and paid now, rather than in 10 years when Exxon might run out of cash. He put this cash in a "blind" trust which was *outright prohibited* from owning any oil stocks -- not so blind, eh? The money is reallocated to Treasury bonds or diversified mutual funds. He also sold all his vested Exxon stock. Then he served as Secretary of State just long enough to get the special tax break created by George H W Bush for people forced to divest for conflict of interest reasons, which means he doesn't even pay tax on the capital gains of his Exxon stock until the Treasury bonds or mutual funds are sold -- and he may die before that happens. Here's How Exxon and Trump Are Helping Rex Tillerson Put Off a $71 Million Tax Bill )

P.S. I just read an article indicating that with GE kicked out of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, Exxon is now the stock which has been in the Dow for the longest. The article writer doesn't think Exxon will be kicked out soon. Wait 10 years, I say :)

With General Electric Kicked Out, This Is Now the Longest-Tenured Dow Stock

Last edited:
So is there any way to tell when margin calls start pouring in for the shorts, which should accelerate the climb?

As I understand it, when an investor falls below a broker's minimum margin percentage, he gets margin called. Is there any way to see at a high level when this should start having a significant effect on share price?

Reactions: MikeC
So is there any way to tell when margin calls start pouring in for the shorts, which should accelerate the climb?

As I understand it, when an investor falls below a broker's minimum margin percentage, he gets margin called. Is there any way to see at a high level when this should start having a significant effect on share price?

When thousands of souls who sold short cry out on twitter like there is a great disturbance in fear, uncertainty and doubt

If they just put more cash, or other assets, into their account to cover the margin call you would have no way of knowing. The only way we might know is if they start covering, which would likely drive the price up.

Hello All,

This is the first post of a longtime lurker who just signed up for the forum. I want to throw my support behind Curt Renz, whose posts are a large part of why I’m here. I always look forward to Curt’s articulate and knowledgeable contributions and I’m sorry to see his name abused today.

Thanks also to this most excellent forum. You guys are a joy to read and I’ve learned so much about Tesla and trading.

Now where did I put that invisibility cloak??

Kate

Hello All,

This is the first post of a longtime lurker who just signed up for the forum. I want to throw my support behind Curt Renz, whose posts are a large part of why I’m here. I always look forward to Curt’s articulate and knowledgeable contributions and I’m sorry to see his name abused today.

Thanks also to this most excellent forum. You guys are a joy to read and I’ve learned so much about Tesla and trading.

Now where did I put that invisibility cloak??

Kate

Welcome Kate! No doubt Curt is a heavyweight in knowledge and decorum.

Large investors and funds do not get margin called because Tesla would be just one position among many that are managed.

In practice, a 'Tesla short' would only compromise an X% say 5% of a funds position. As Tesla price rises, they trim their short by covering some of their shares but not at a rate that would trigger a Volkswagon esque short squeeze.

As share prices rise, longs relieve pressure by exiting their position. Shorts can also dollar average their shorts by adding on during "sell the news" and at key resistance levels to keep price down.

The only way to squeeze shorts in a hurry is if longs do not sell / dry up access to shares to cover. Since that scenario is unlikely, a year or two of continuous good news without huge pullbacks will be enough to force the initial shorts out of their position due needing to trim the liabilities on their balance sheet.

So we have this:

Then this:

Problem Magnet on Twitter

"Tripp confirms that he was a source for the @lopezlinette story about Gigafactory waste, but denies the Tesla allegation that he "fabricated" the information he shared. The accuracy of his information is now the only real issue here."

I believe a retraction and apology to Curt is appropriate...
Wanted to post in support of Curt, one of the reasons for me to read (and sometimes post) on TMC.

Note that the person calling Curt a coward is himself hiding behind anonimity.

Not only that, but this tweeter is siding on behalf of someone who has allegedly passed Tesla IP to third parties, which is a criminal activity if proven to be true.

Wanted to post in support of Curt, one of the reasons for me to read (and sometimes post) on TMC.

Note that the person calling Curt a coward is himself hiding behind anonimity.

I just tweeted my support for Curt on that tool's thread.
Screenshot_20180621-100037.png

Status
Not open for further replies.