Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market/Economic Impact of FSD and Tesla Robotaxi Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla is six months ahead. They will have something like 500,000 vehicles (a guess) that have not purchased FSD but will be very likely to purchase it. If FSD when functional upgrade cost is only $5,000 (it could be double that once finished), there will be an enormous influx of cash that will dwarf the revenue flow from Waymo who has to invest in hundreds of thousands of vehicle eating up any possibility of profit for months/years while the vehicles are fabricated in large numbers. Waymo would arrive at the market with a equivalent product with an enormous capital disadvantage.
Its not clear what you mean by "if Tesla is six months ahead". Waymo is already there ! For them its a question of scaling. They can (and have in the past) run robotaxi with no safety driver. They can do that anytime they want in their geofenced area.

Also, note that Tesla is not going to "suddenly" get to robotaxi. They are going to slowly get better and the regulations will allow robotaxis only in some area in the beginning (and will slowly spread). Tesla won't have 500k robotaxis on the road instantly. Waymo will obviously monitor Tesla progress and take needed competitive action as they see Tesla getting better. They recently sought and got robotaxi approval in CA, for eg. So, expect them to start deploying in CA soon.

What is not slow, IMO, is the reaction of SP to such a release. If Tesla deploys even a dozen robotaxis in Florida - its going to have a major impact on SP, for eg. Ofcourse, the impact on SP is probably going to be in steps and stages as Tesla releases new builds with better FSD capabilities. So, even before the actual (if and when) event of Tesla starting a real robotaxi service - SP would have gone up some amount in stages.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Its not clear what you mean by "if Tesla is six months ahead".

It is an assumption. I think it more but even 6 months serves for an example.

Waymo just serves as an example case of who could be number 2 to reach general FSD unrestricted by geofencing.

My original post posits a thesis that number 2 to reach FSD might essentially open source the tech in order to slow the cash windfall that Tesla will enjoy.

• Informative
Reactions: mickificki
Brad Templeton has a new Forbes article with some thoughts on geofenced services:

Pioneer Navya Pulls Back From Building Robo-Shuttles, But Were They Ever A Good Idea?

Navya (formerly Navia) was the real pioneer of the robocar business, over 5 years ago they started actually selling their low speed shuttles, with no brakes or steering wheel, for campus use. They've been doing a lot of experiments since then as a "last mile" shuttle as well. But they announced this week they don't think they will get regulatory approval any time soon -- their shuttles still run with a human monitor with a kill switch -- and will get out of trying to sell physical shuttles and into selling the design and software stack.

In this new article, I talk about this and examine the question of whether autonomous shuttles on fixed routes, especially "last mile to transit" shuttles, where ever a good idea. They just eliminate a driver and save some money, and they don't even save money yet.​

If you have a paid off tesla that generates income and you wish to buy a new one buy feel intimidated by the payments buying a new one and then using the revenue from the paid off one seems like the way to go rather than selling the old one. As far as the insurance, it would be interesting to see if Tesla can manage to say that instead of reimbursing someone for a totaled Tesla that they just replace it. I would imagine 9 of of 10 the owner would be happy and Tesla would end up spending 25k on a potentially 185k claim. Insurance at that point would serve mostly for damages or 3rd parties. Which Tesla will have a pretty good risk assessment on based on their own driving data.

Here we go again on robotaxi, but with Uber losing 5 BILLION in 3 months, why/how is Tesla going to bring in the gazillion dollars you all think they will?

If Tesla prices their cars to the point where only Taxi companies can afford them (price + 80k per you), then only Taxi companies will buy then. I have almost zero interest in letting drunken strangers drive around in my car. So if Tesla doesn't sell a car I can buy and drive, then I won't buy one.

Tesla may make money on it, and I will be glad I own stock in it, but I will be happy to buy some other brand that allows me to just own the car and drive it. Pretty sure I am in the majority of people that will not be even considering putting their car in some robotaxi fleet. If it makes money it will be priced to the point that only corporations will be able to buy one.

It's not nearly as S3XY, but I think the Tesla Energy has some rather huge potential. Everyone uses energy and Solar/Wind + Storage is the future both from an environmental but more importantly, financial standpoint. Tesla's 2TWh will go a huge way towards stationary storage. There is also the Semi which can have a huge disruptive effect on transportation. None of that is as easy/S3Xy as just "flicking a switch and the fleet will wake up", but it has serious long term benefits and money making potential. Not convinced robofleet has the same potential in any serious time frame.

Here we go again on robotaxi, but with Uber losing 5 BILLION in 3 months, why/how is Tesla going to bring in the gazillion dollars you all think they will?

If Tesla prices their cars to the point where only Taxi companies can afford them (price + 80k per you), then only Taxi companies will buy then. I have almost zero interest in letting drunken strangers drive around in my car. So if Tesla doesn't sell a car I can buy and drive, then I won't buy one.

Tesla may make money on it, and I will be glad I own stock in it, but I will be happy to buy some other brand that allows me to just own the car and drive it. Pretty sure I am in the majority of people that will not be even considering putting their car in some robotaxi fleet. If it makes money it will be priced to the point that only corporations will be able to buy one.

It's not nearly as S3XY, but I think the Tesla Energy has some rather huge potential. Everyone uses energy and Solar/Wind + Storage is the future both from an environmental but more importantly, financial standpoint. Tesla's 2TWh will go a huge way towards stationary storage. There is also the Semi which can have a huge disruptive effect on transportation. None of that is as easy/S3Xy as just "flicking a switch and the fleet will wake up", but it has serious long term benefits and money making potential. Not convinced robofleet has the same potential in any serious time frame.

1. The economics of robotaxis have been studied for years. Uber loses money on drivers. Electric cars cost less to operate than gas ones.

Two studies from ~3 years ago
Studies suggest a driverless Tesla Model 3 fleet could be highly profitable, obtain significant market share - Electrek

Im sure you are aware and dont believe him but musk talking about it at autonomy day:

2. This whole thread started because I want a model y for myself and there was discussion as to whether placing a reservation/order now guarantees the price later. I don't want to pay a ton for FSD, but I want a Y for both myself and my wife.

3. I also will not put my car on the TN on day one. I will wait a few months to see how it goes. Even then I likely will want it back before 10pm for the very reason of not wanting drunks in it. But after the TN is active for a year and there are policies for that well established and people become aware of the in car camera and learn to behave I may change that attitude.

4. If Tesla can sell 15% of its production for 7 times the production cost of 1 car to companies like Hertz, or Taxi companies, or just banks wanting solid ROIs you can bet they will do so and then own the other 85% of the cars themselves. It just makes fiscal sense. Maybe that ratio will be more like 50% to large companies looking for stable ROIs and 50% saved for Tesla themselves while they take more of that money from selling heavily marked up cars to build more factories but there would be no reason for the cars to stay at the prices they are now.

Thats why I have reservations for the Y with FSD now so I can actually own one at a reasonable price. The individual who wants to own a self driving car doesn't want them to mark up the price. But it just makes zero sense not to.

Whether or not they achieve that goal is a totally separate conversation that I don't think anyone here can come to a good conclusion on. But without question, the robotaxi concept itself will be highly profitable. There will without question be growing pains. But citing Uber's losses is a failure to understand the economics of something that is not in question. The question is not if but when - and who first.

Reactions: madodel
Uber lost 1.3 billion in 3 months, not 5.

Looks like Uber lost 5 billion in 3 months to me.

Looks weird they spent almost 3 billion in R&D in q2 but only 410 million in q1 how could they ramp R&D spending that fast?

Screenshot_2019-08-11-06-07-48.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Its not clear what you mean by "if Tesla is six months ahead". Waymo is already there ! For them its a question of scaling.
No, Waymo is NOT there yet. They have NEVER run the robotaxi while carrying passengers without a safety driver in place. That's not a robotaxi, that's a marketing gimmick.

If they could release their robotaxi, they would. They fact that they don't means it's not ready to drive by itself. Watch this video again: (start @ 2:20)

Waymo's made little progress recently. The video shows a 8 sec hesitation before making a left turn with no traffic? This car could not pass a driver's exam. And its worthless because they are already paying a safety driver. The rest is marketing B.S. deployed to protect their market cap. That will fade.

My take on Robo-Taxis is having the lowest cost base is more important than being first...

A low cost base allow you to scale quickly and out compete the competition..

Tesla easily has the lowest cost base and I think will be 1st, 2nd or 3rd...

Even if Tesla is 3rd, I can't see 1st and 2nd having the ability to scale quickly before Tesla arrives without taking on an absolute mountain of debt. Even if they do that, ultimately they will not be able tot service that debt,,, unless demand for Robo-taxis outstrips the fleet size for a number of years...,

The reason for this is if a competitor charges $1.50 per mile, Tesla can charge $1, if the competitor drops the price to $1, Tesla can drop it's price to 70 cents...

The reason for this is Telsa has by far the lowest cost fleet, and apart form the fleet cost, the next significant cost is electricity...

Cleaning, customer service, app quality, and communication are also components of the service, the best hope for a competitor is to beat Tesla in these areas and charge a slight premium for a better service..

The other possible advantage for Tesla is synergy with the Boring Company.... ultimately Boring Co will probably get somewhere, and being able to take Boring Co tunnels is a big advantage for Robo-taxis, Tesla will be first with this capability..

Last edited:
Waymo's made little progress recently. The video shows a 8 sec hesitation before making a left turn with no traffic? This car could not pass a driver's exam. And its worthless because they are already paying a safety driver. The rest is marketing B.S. deployed to protect their market cap. That will fade.
You mean 4 sec hesitation ? At least according to the disengagement report they made good progress in 2018.

Currenly, IIRC, Waymo is operating in FSD mode in AZ. That means the safety driver is really for safety only (apparently for passengers to feel safe). If they intervene the car goes to the side and parks.

As I said, it is level 4, currently. Lex in his AI podcast has called it L4 several times. Why would you think it is not L4 now ?

ps : This is what I posted earlier in the main thread that got moved to Lidar thread.

Now that we are talking about FSD - here is how I see the FSD race.

There are clearly two camps. The Lidar camp led by Waymo and Vision camp led by Tesla. They are clear leaders within their approach (MobilEye seems to have changed course).

Waymo is close to Level 4 within their geofenced area. They may be expanding now - they recently applied for and got permission in CA. Tesla is Level 2+ ... but in much of US & EU.

Waymo has to scale geographically. Tesla has to scale up technically. The question is who can get "there" first. Let us say the target is L4 in the top 200 US cities.

Waymo says they can potentially expand to a new market by training their models and testing in the new market in a couple of months. They have the financial means to do this expansion in parallel - say a dozen cities at a time. So, they could in a couple of years expand to top 200 cities in US. Tesla can first get to City NOA and slowly add all the "edge" cases that Waymo already handles (see the list in my Feature Complete thread) in the next 2 years.

So, I think it is still anyone's game.

As to level 5 - who knows. Yes, more data is theoretically needed to handle the long tail of edge cases - but how long that will actually take is uncertain. As I wrote before, theoretically there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.​

No reason GM Cruise can't get similar cost structure with Bolt.

The specific advantages I'm talking about are:-
  1. Ability to populate the fleet with cheap off lease cars.
  2. Ability to use customers cars in the fleet
  3. Having existing factories on 2-3 continents cranking out Robo-taxis in high volume
  4. Income boost from existing owners upgrading to FSD.
  5. Not needing LIDAR
  6. Makes own battery packs
  7. Own FSD hardware
  8. Fast changing network
  9. Likely increasing ability to make their own electrcity.
  10. (With Panasonic) make Solar panels (generation) and batteries (storage)
  11. Tesla service centres.
  12. Tesla body shops (hopefully rarely needed)
  13. Tesla insurance
  14. Well developed gaming and entertainment options in Robo-taxi (possible demand driver)

It is interesting to note that provided Tesla is 1st with Robo-taxis, for 1-4 on the list above, they get more benefit by being first in 3 years time rather than 2.

For LIDAR cheaper LIDAR is coming but my understanding is it is an open question whether that cheaper LIDAR will be good enough for FSD. And it is an high doubtful anyone can do FSD without solving vision to a level similar to Tesla...

IMO the main hope for competitors is that Tesla is wrong and LIDAR is needed, or most regulators can be persuaded LIDAR is needed even if it isn't. However, it only takes one regulator to approve Tesla FSD, the the dominoes will start to fall.

Last edited:
That is the main point. But in terms of operating costs, they would be on par.

I agree on that, the question is if a lower capital cost of the fleet is a big advantage when a large fleet is needed and a fleet must be scaled quickly...

The other big unknown is how much of it's own electricity Tesla ends up making... my hunch is eventually ..... most of it...

For Robo-taxis I would argue, the capital fleet cost, electricity and cleaning are the big costs.... I expect all cars to be cleaned at the end of every shift... or more often if needed....

If could well be that the Robo-taxi operator with the best cleaning solution wins...

Insurance, tires, software development, customer service staff, admin, etc should be around the same for all operators... but IMO these should around 10% of overheads...

Tesla has a likely edge on 2/3 of the remaining 90% or 60% .... that is how I see things, and it is because I see Tesla making their own electrcity and selling it at their own charging stations....

2. This whole thread started because I want a model y for myself and there was discussion as to whether placing a reservation/order now guarantees the price later. I don't want to pay a ton for FSD, but I want a Y for both myself and my wife.

Has this question been answered? I'm also wondering if I reserve a Model Y now and put down a deposit, will my FSD package not rise in price by 2021/2022?

Problem in my case is I'd prefer the standard range Model Y, which I cannot seem to order right now. Therefore I cannot seem to "fix the FSD pricing" if that was even possible.

Also, if I order a Model 3 the current FSD pricing is as follows:
Autopilot: included in standard range plus;
FSD: 6400 EUR (Europe)

The Model Y FSD pricing is currently:
Autopilot: 3200 EUR
FSD: 5300 EUR
Total: 8500 EUR.

It seems to me the FSD pricing for Model Y is not yet adjusted to current FSD pricing and therefore cannot be fixed by ordering at all.

Does anyone know about this? (Deus ex machina would be someone telling me I can order Model Y standard range off the menu and fix FSD pricing between now and 2022)

Has this question been answered? I'm also wondering if I reserve a Model Y now and put down a deposit, will my FSD package not rise in price by 2021/2022?

Problem in my case is I'd prefer the standard range Model Y, which I cannot seem to order right now. Therefore I cannot seem to "fix the FSD pricing" if that was even possible.

Also, if I order a Model 3 the current FSD pricing is as follows:
Autopilot: included in standard range plus;
FSD: 6400 EUR (Europe)

The Model Y FSD pricing is currently:
Autopilot: 3200 EUR
FSD: 5300 EUR
Total: 8500 EUR.

It seems to me the FSD pricing for Model Y is not yet adjusted to current FSD pricing and therefore cannot be fixed by ordering at all.

Does anyone know about this? (Deus ex machina would be someone telling me I can order Model Y standard range off the menu and fix FSD pricing between now and 2022)

My reading of the terms and conditions is that the price is guaranteed with the exception of the out of Tesla’s control taxes and rebates available at time of delivery. So I just took the plunge. Not a whole lot of risk

Reactions: abasile

The loss was just $1.3bn but still, i agree Uber's business model does not look viable at current pricing. But this has absolutely no relation to the viability of the Robotaxi business model. It's equivalent to saying Google search will never be profitable because it costs so much to pay people to read and search through library books.

Uber is unprofitable for 3 main reasons (all on my estimated numbers):
1) At 70% utilisation rates (% of miles with passengers), drivers make around $0.7 net pay per mile (across all miles, passenger or not)
2) This still only translates to around $11 net pay per hour which isn't nearly enough so driver churn is an incredibly high 12% per month and Uber has to spend a huge amount extra per mile (maybe another $0.3-0.5 per mile) on driver incentives to keep drivers and marketing for new drivers
3) Uber does not use electric cars or cars that are designed for 0.5-1 million miles life, so operating costs are much higher.

Uber's total operating costs per mile are likely around $0.6-0.7 per mile for fuel, depreciation, insurance, car finance costs, maintenance, registration etc.
Its total driver costs are likely around $1-1.2 per mile (0.7 + 0.3-0.5), and even at this price drivers do not generally make a sustainable net pay.
In total this is $1.6-1.9 variable costs per mile vs average revenue of around $1.75 per mile ($2.5 average price per mile * 70% utilisation). On top of this Uber has data centre costs, SG&A, marketing, R&D etc which makes the company heavily unprofitable.

In contrast Tesla's robotaxi equivalent costs per mile should be around $0.2-0.25. So at the same pricing and same 70% utilisation rate as Uber Tesla cars would make around $1.5 profit per mile vs Uber at close to zero.
On top of this, Tesla Robotaxis can drive many more hours per day (because there is no driver who needs to be elsewhere for their main job/family etc). At 15 hours per day/10.5 hours with passengers (or c.90k total miles driven per year which is even matched by some taxi drivers), a single Tesla Robotaxi could make around $140k gross profit per year.
Elon's Robotaxi numbers are actually very conservative and not at all realistic for the first few years - he plugs in $1 price per mile and only 50% utilization rates. At these levels an Uber driver would make net pay of about negative $4 per hour.

Eventually Robotaxi price per mile and utilization rates will come down, but not until the entire global taxi/human ride sharing industry has been put out of business. It will take several years to get enough Robotaxis on the road to be able to do this. In the meantime it makes no sense for Tesla to charge less than the minimum $2.5 per mile price which is around the breakeven for Uber (taxi breakeven is higher because utilisation rate is lower - taxi operators have less network effects/lack the passenger driver matching algorithm).

I think the extremely attractive economics of Robotaxis is pretty much certain - this is why the industry is investing $10bn+ per year in a moonshot R&D project. The technical viability of the different strategies to achieve self driving is another question.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: jbih and tschmidty
The loss was just $1.3bn but still, i agree Uber's business model does not look viable at current pricing. But this has absolutely no relation to the viability of the Robotaxi business model. It's equivalent to saying Google search will never be profitable because it costs so much to pay people to read and search through library books.

Uber is unprofitable for 3 main reasons (all on my estimated numbers):
1) At 70% utilisation rates (% of miles with passengers), drivers make around $0.7 net pay per mile (across all miles, passenger or not)
2) This still only translates to around $11 net pay per hour which isn't nearly enough so driver churn is an incredibly high 12% per month and Uber has to spend a huge amount extra per mile (maybe another $0.3-0.5 per mile) on driver incentives to keep drivers and marketing for new drivers
3) Uber does not use electric cars or cars that are designed for 0.5-1 million miles life, so operating costs are much higher.

Uber's total operating costs per mile are likely around $0.6-0.7 per mile for fuel, depreciation, insurance, car finance costs, maintenance, registration etc.
Its total driver costs are likely around $1-1.2 per mile (0.7 + 0.3-0.5), and even at this price drivers do not generally make a sustainable net pay.
In total this is $1.6-1.9 variable costs per mile vs average revenue of around $1.75 per mile ($2.5 average price per mile * 70% utilisation). On top of this Uber has data centre costs, SG&A, marketing, R&D etc which makes the company heavily unprofitable.

In contrast Tesla's robotaxi equivalent costs per mile should be around $0.2-0.25. So at the same pricing and same 70% utilisation rate as Uber Tesla cars would make around $1.5 profit per mile vs Uber at close to zero.
On top of this, Tesla Robotaxis can drive many more hours per day (because there is no driver who needs to be elsewhere for their main job/family etc). At 15 hours per day/10.5 hours with passengers (or c.90k total miles driven per year which is even matched by some taxi drivers), a single Tesla Robotaxi could make around $140k gross profit per year.
Elon's Robotaxi numbers are actually very conservative and not at all realistic for the first few years - he plugs in $1 price per mile and only 50% utilization rates. At these levels an Uber driver would make net pay of about negative $4 per hour.

Eventually Robotaxi price per mile and utilization rates will come down, but not until the entire global taxi/human ride sharing industry has been put out of business. It will take several years to get enough Robotaxis on the road to be able to do this. In the meantime it makes no sense for Tesla to charge less than the minimum $2.5 per mile price which is around the breakeven for Uber (taxi breakeven is higher because utilisation rate is lower - taxi operators have less network effects/lack the passenger driver matching algorithm).

I think the extremely attractive economics of Robotaxis is pretty much certain - this is why the industry is investing $10bn+ per year in a moonshot R&D project. The technical viability of the different strategies to achieve self driving is another question.

I see a 5.236 billion dollar loss here: Uber Technologies, Inc. - Uber Reports Second Quarter 2019 Results

And Uber pays not one penny of those maintenance costs you mentioned. all of that is paid by the driver. So pretty sure I will discard the rest of your numbers since we are just making things up at this point.

• Disagree
Reactions: ReflexFunds