Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market for a frunk backup battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lerxt

Feb 21, 2014
Australia
I'm curious about whether there would be interest in a backup or extra battery in the frunk you could be put in on long trips to supplement the range. Surely Tesla would have a market for this? It could be simple, no new wiring, just pull over and run your UMC from the frunk to the plug port. Alternatively an internal wiring harness that makes the battery an addition to the main pack and simply draws off it when needed would be great.

Last edited:
Tesla would have to make changes as the car will not accept any charging while running, with the exception of regeneration.
The problem with a battery that would plug into the charge port when stopped is the speed of the charge. Because it would likely use the UMC, it wouldn't be faster than an RV park charge and you'd have to carry around all that weight.

If there were Li-Air battery modules that were integrated into the car, fit in the frunk when needed, held 15 kWh or so per module, weighed under 25 lbs. per module, that would be great. I don't think that's coming next year though :) Of course, if there was a significantly better battery, it would make more sense to replace the main battery and avoid the hassle of removable modules.

that little frunk space was originally meant for extra batteries. I remember Elon or one of the VPs talking about it - at first they didn't think they could fit all 85kW of battery in the battery pack underneath so that frunk hole was designed to be a spot to have the rest of the 85kW battery pack but it turned out their design for the pack was able to hold them all.

looking at their patents on metal-air range extenders to work in combination with a lithium ion battery pack, I fully expect some point in the future for Tesla to offer a metal-air battery pack extender for that little cubby.

There was another long thread on this before. And as the others point out the only workable idea is a metal air battery and something the car can use while moving. And that's not coming anytime soon and unlikely to be easily retrofit-able.

My opinion on the whole thing is that it doesn't fit Tesla to design something where you would have to lift a moderately heavy and bulky box in and out of the area. Whatever Tesla designs will likely be automated instead (think of the battery swap stations). The patents Tesla have seem to describe a "hybrid" pack that has both integrated.

I curious about whether there would be interest in a backup or extra battery in the frunk you could be put in on long trips to supplement the range. Surely Tesla would have a market for this? It could be simple, no new wiring, just pull over and run your UMC from the frunk to the plug port. Alternatively an internal wiring harness that makes the battery an addition to the main pack and simply draws off it when needed would be great.

Not gonna happen. In addition to electrical, it would need plumbing connections to cool the backup battery. And additional crash testing and certification after adding another 300 lb lump up front.