Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market for Roadster with a 3.0 Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2008 Roadster that had a 3.0 battery upgrade about 2 years ago. I am getting to the age it is hard to get in and out of the car. What is the market these days for a roadster with the batter upgrade. Is it hard to get an upgrade from Tesla? Are the roadsters with the 3.0 battery valued at a premium over the original battery. Thanks Paul D.

I have a 2008 Roadster that had a 3.0 battery upgrade about 2 years ago. I am getting to the age it is hard to get in and out of the car. What is the market these days for a roadster with the batter upgrade. Is it hard to get an upgrade from Tesla? Are the roadsters with the 3.0 battery valued at a premium over the original battery. Thanks Paul D.
You'll get a premium as long as the battery is holding at an improved range, imo. The issue with the 3.0 battery was degradation of range, so just having the 3.0 only gets you half way to the premium. If your logs are showing range (CAC) holding, you'll get a premium for the extra range above standard charge range of 180-190 miles.

The new 3.0 battery replacement is being rolled out slowly, at about 3 per month based on other conversations, so for the next year or 2, roadsters will come back to life that have been bricked for years. Short term, that MAY flood the market with cars if the owners don't want to risk bricking again, imo. Long term, it will be nice to see a few more on the road occasionally.

Check BaT.
A 3.0 sold for 130k. Since then the non 3.0’s have gone for 111-115, arguably you would get most if not all the 3.0 upgrade money on top of that. 130-140 would be my guess.

You'll get a premium as long as the battery is holding at an improved range, imo. The issue with the 3.0 battery was degradation of range, so just having the 3.0 only gets you half way to the premium. If your logs are showing range (CAC) holding, you'll get a premium for the extra range above standard charge range of 180-190 miles.

The new 3.0 battery replacement is being rolled out slowly, at about 3 per month based on other conversations, so for the next year or 2, roadsters will come back to life that have been bricked for years. Short term, that MAY flood the market with cars if the owners don't want to risk bricking again, imo. Long term, it will be nice to see a few more on the road occasionally.
Thanks for you info. So far the battery appears to be hold up. I have been driving it more lately, and am getting a lot more attention that I used to get a couple of years back. Most people don't event remember that here was a Tesla before the Model S.

Thanks for your response. There are so few on the market and and wide range in price it is hard to say for sure the value.
List on BaT and find out. You can set the reserve as to not give it away. The non 3.0’s just sold for 111-115k, you are over that woth the 3.0 so long as it’s healthy.
Or just list it anywhere you like and wait to get what you want for it. No risk if you want to sell, and this is a sellers market for cars in general.
Or you can hold on to it and see where it goes from here.

These batteries don't hold capacity, regardless of whether you drive them. It's really clear from the data I've collected that most of the capacity decline is related to age. The only way that I've seen to keep the CAC from declining is not to drive at all, which stops the CAC recalculation algorithm from running, but as soon as you do it will jump down to where it would have otherwise been.

A two year old battery will probably have a CAC of 185-190 as opposed to ~214.5 when it was new.