Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On trade with China:

IF any US increase in exports to China is effectively restricted to agricultural commodities, then it is no feather in anyone's cap. Not #45's, not Lightizer's, not Li Keqiang's. Foodstocks not only are a highly fungible item, but ultimately their trade is determined by demand. If China needs more soybeans, or rice, or wheat - they will purchase it. And if the soy comes from Brazil rather than from the US, then the US beans will make their way to the erstwhile other consumer.

BUT -
If there is meaningful advance in Intellectual Property protections, then I for one will give #45 credit. Not all credit, as this is an issue whose time most definitely has come, irrespective of who sits in the White House.
We need a meaningful REDUCTION in "intellectual property" nonsense, and I think it's going to happen -- the worldwide trend is beyond clear. Musk agrees.

Reactions: lklundin
In December Tesla applied for tariff relief as it was causing them economic harm and impacting Tesla’s profitability.

BTW, Tesla won't get the tariff relief as long as the government is shut down, because the office which processes those applications is shut down.

Yet another result of the Orange Nincompoop's temper tantrum.

Reactions: JRP3 and Lucky_Man
There are so many issues that we have made zero progress on over the decades and multiple administrations. I'm willing to give an unconventional approach a try. I'm already happy with the progress with North Korea. Already more than any other president has been able to achieve.
He chased South Korea into the arms of North Korea by making it clear that the US was more dangerous and unreliable than North Korea.

Um.... good, I guess? As long as you aren't in the US?

North Korea has nukes and will keep them, of course.

Trump's bumbling idiocy abroad may finally dismantle the US imperial military operation, simply because all of the US's former allies will kick us out. Fine, I guess that's a good result? Surely we could have gotten there without hurting the US so much, though?

I give him credit for actually wanting to pull out of Syria, instead of droning on about how we have no choice but to continue to pour more troops into the ME forever, which pretty much seems to be everyone else's opinion in Washington.

I gave him credit for that until he reversed himself and decided to keep troops in Syria.

I mean, really.

Reactions: Unpilot
So, if you look back historically, there are very close to zero major fortunes which your posts apply to. The vast, vast majority of fortunes were collected in other ways, for nearly all of history, from kings with armies to feudal landlords to slave plantation operators to bankers to modern landlords...

A few more recent examples:

* AT&T: got lucky because *someone* had to be the network-effect monopoly winner
* Standard Oil: took natural resources out of the public ground, dumped toxins in the public rivers to make money
* Microsoft: cloned C/PM, got a contract through crony family connections, then engaged in illegal monopolistic tactics to make money
* Facebook: got lucky because *someone* had to be the network-effect monopoly winner

So the rest of us are discussing world economics, politics, and history. You're discussing... a few engineers and scientists? That's kind of *irrelevant*, right?
Don't forget the deleterious effect of the 'very rich' buying lawmakers to further preserve their wealth by reducing/eliminating their tax burden. Reference the Mnuchin antics here as well. TY!

• Helpful
Reactions: Intl Professor
The founders thought of this case and allowed Congress to override a President's veto. No dictatorship here.
Tell that to McConnell, who seems to be waiting for authorization to do his job, from POTUS.

The founders wrote specifically about separation of powers, but @SenMajLdr is defeating the founder's imperatives by not bringing bills to the floor for a vote - "because he believes the president wouldn't sign it" - thereby circumventing any possible veto.

Tell that to McConnell, who seems to be waiting for authorization to do his job, from POTUS.

The founders wrote specifically about separation of powers, but @SenMajLdr is defeating the founder's imperatives by not bringing bills to the floor for a vote - "because he believes he wouldn't sign it" - thereby circumventing any possible veto.
What does it take to get the Senate Majority Leader out the position of stonewalling everything? Can his own party vote him out, or can he be challenged by other members of his party?

• Helpful
Reactions: Lucky_Man
That's what I would call "complete fantasy thinking". Next, you'll tell me that the vote works in Putin's Russia and in China, too. Or in apartheid South Africa. Or in the Jim Crow south before the Civil Rights Movement.

Neroden,
I say this with the most love and respect.
I need you to go live in Russia or China for a bit then come back here and compare these systems with our amateur version of corruption. I've lived and worked in several banana republics and I really appreciate home.

80% say it happens here and it happens. Redistricting did not save the Reps' butts in the mids and that was only a 8-9% avalanche. Sure, it is not perfect but getting money out of it is the first step to inviting people to the party that are interested in Public Service and Power only.

What does it take to get the Senate Majority Leader out the position of stonewalling everything? Can his own party vote him out, or can he be challenged by other members of his party?

It depends on the rules of the current Senate. This is an administrative thing within the Senate, not a law. I think the law is actually silent on whether there is a majority leader at all. The Constitution refers to the President of the Senate who is VP of the US and the President Pro Tempore of the Senate who is officially 2nd in charge, but has very few defined duties. Since the late 1800s the President Pro Tempure has usually been the most senior senator from the controlling party. Until the beginning of this month it was Orin Hatch and it is currently Chuck Grassley. If the Democrats take control, it would be Patrick Leahy.

The majority leader had evolved within the Senate rules and has become the most powerful position in the Senate, but the Constitution is silent about political parties. Most of the founders were opposed to them, but they evolved anyway. My SO thinks political parties should be abolished and while it's a noble goal, running any sort of government that relies on elections is pretty much impossible without some kind of political parties, though I do think that we should have lower barriers to 3rd parties getting in the door. At minimum more viable 3rd parties would make the two big parties more honest and probably more moderate. Though the Democrats are pretty moderate now, the Republicans have become an extremist party.

Senate Rules are a baroque complicated mess designed to create confusion and fog, but the *bottom line* is that 51 Senators can overrride anything in the so-called rules. At this point I think pretty much all the Democrats are ready to change the calendar; so it requires 4 Republicans who are fed up enough.

My SO thinks political parties should be abolished and while it's a noble goal, running any sort of government that relies on elections is pretty much impossible without some kind of political parties, though I do think that we should have lower barriers to 3rd parties getting in the door. At minimum more viable 3rd parties would make the two big parties more honest and probably more moderate.

Our 2-party system is caused by first-past-the-post single-member districts, and the game-theoretica mathematical consqeuences of them.

Insert plug for proportional representation and approval voting here.

(See the Center for Election Science for more info)

Neroden,
I need you to go live in Russia or China for a bit then come back here and compare these systems with our amateur version of corruption. I've lived and worked in several banana republics and I really appreciate home.

Done. And I like it here, but the fact is that Canada has a better system, and so does Mexico, and Ireland or Germany have an even better system (BTW, American experts designed their systems).

80% say it happens here and it happens. Redistricting did not save the Reps' butts in the mids and that was only a 8-9% avalanche.
Except it actually did save them. They've still got the Senate, and they shouldn't.

Redistricting didn't change anything for the Senate, unless you're proposing that they managed to gerrymander state lines. ;)

(I mean, there's a massive bias towards Republicans due to the urban/rural split and many states being rural-heavy and low population, but hey.)

Pretty much my point. The Senate is undemocratic. (And it doesn't even represent any other power base, the way the House of Lords used to.)

There's a democracy gap here. I mean, it's no Congo, but it's also no Ireland or Australia. A party which has clearly lost popular support, where the majority wants it gone, can keep power, and frequently does.

This doesn't happen so much in California (with independent redistricting *and* recall elections), and it happens a lot in Georgia (with so many failures of election integrity that there are already three or four ongoing lawsuits and now an entire organization devoted to replacing their election system root and branch).

At the state level, Republicans kept the Michigan and Wisconsin legislatures despite being voted down massively, thanks entirely to gerrymandering. Luckily an initiative-and-referendum happened in Michigan to end gerrymandering, so it won't happen *there* again, but it's still a problem in Wisconsin.

Neroden,

There are countries politically worse than the US, but there are also countries that are better. At one time the US was among the best governed countries in the world. Many of the best run democracies of the world today took some inspiration from the US when they were crafting their own constitutions.

We can do better. We once did.

80% say it happens here and it happens. Redistricting did not save the Reps' butts in the mids and that was only a 8-9% avalanche. Sure, it is not perfect but getting money out of it is the first step to inviting people to the party that are interested in Public Service and Power only.

Because of gerrymandering the Republicans didn't get blown out in the House as much as an 8-9% election has done in the past. And on the state level it's helped them dramatically in some states. Wisconsin is so rigged that the Democrats won the generic vote for the state assembly 53/45, but only won 39 out of 99 seats.

It is true that gerrymandering did not affect the Senate. That was affected by one party having become the rural party and the other the urban party. States with mostly rural populations have become Republican strongholds and states with majority urban populations have become Democratic strongholds. The rural parts of the blue states are mostly Republican areas too.

Money is a problem in politics, but it isn't the entire problem. Donald Trump's campaign spent significantly less than Clinton's and she lost. Citizen's United has allowed Pacs to flood the airwaves with advertising before elections, but a lot of those ads are just ignored by voters. Over the last few years I believe there has been an increase in less well funded campaigns beating a well funded competitor than before Citizen's United.

All the money in politics is a corrupting influence and I am in favor of doing things to fix it, but the bigger problem I see is propaganda masquerading as news. Fox is the prime example of this, but there are many more. As long as propaganda outfits are able to peddle their tripe as news to a demographic that can't tell the difference, politics is going to be corrupted by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.