TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Market politics

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Lessmog, Feb 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

News runs from straight up news, news mixed with opinion, and just propaganda. Straight up news these days is rarely more than just headlines. Most of the rest of the news is a mix of news and opinion. The programs tell you the facts, and then they have various people, usually experts in the field in some form who discuss the news stories. MSNBC and CNN are heavy on that format.

Fox News makes things up or greatly exaggerates the facts, then opines at length. Back when Roger Ailes was news directory there, he would have meetings every day where he would tell all on air talent how to spin the news that day. Fox News was set up from day 1 to be a propaganda operation for whatever the Republicans want you to believe.

Fox and the Republicans have been working together and coordinating messages. Sometimes the messages flip 180 degrees depending on the political exigencies. For example the national debt and budget deficit. When Bill Clinton and Barack Obama were president the deficit was an existential threat to the country and should be priority #1. When GW Bush and Donald Trump were/are president the deficit is unimportant. They even quoted Cheney saying deficits don't matter.

There are more minor "news" outlets that copy the Fox model to sell conservative talking points to the rubes. Glenn Beck was fired from Fox when advertisers wouldn't advertise with him anymore. He went out and started his own news channel called The Blaze. There is also Newsmax TV which has a similar conservative format.

There are also channels with more of an online presence who follow the Fox News model, often more extreme than Fox like InfoWars. Wikipedia has a site with a list of fake news sites. Some are intended to be humorous, but many are conservative oriented:
    List of fake news websites - Wikipedia

Liberals are not immune from strong opinions and can sometimes embrace ideas that are not completely factual. I have dropped in at Daily Kos from time to time and I have seen some bad ideas over there too. Palmer Report can go off the rails with wild speculation sometimes too. But just making stuff up and then getting hair on fire about it is far more common on the right than on the left and the type of media catering to conservatives are driving that bus.

The poorer people embracing the Republicans these days are angry. They have reason to be angry, in many cases they have been hurt worse than many in the decline of American manufacturing and shifting of the economy. Conservative media has fanned that anger and redirected it to make them vote against their best interests. They now think they are angry about things that aren't true.

• Love x 4
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. gilscales

gilscales Member

So CNN and MSNBC are fact based news?

3. Intl Professor

Intl Professor Active Member

Yes but they spend much of their time beating up on Trump's version ("alternate" facts) showing inconsistencies, logical lapses, and using the word "lies" seldom used with presidents. They do have pro republican commentators on many shows. Some, like William Krystal, are critical of Trump. Most of the reeps begin with eschewing Trump's style first but then spewing the line about wall necessity, and nonsense about how it would prevent opioid addiction—more caused by big pharma executives with doctors as their "mules."

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  4. M3Rider

M3Rider Member

Am I the last one to find out that there was a congressional hearing on the subject of what happens if you search for an "idiot" in the google images? Google Images

5. johnnybgood888

Compared to Fox, Infowars, Breitbart, etc., they are beacons of Journalism.

But they have some ways to go before they are like the BBC or CBC. They may never get there simply because of the format they are in, they are Newstertainment, so some drama or controversy need to constantly be manufactured to keep viewers tuning in.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  6. gilscales

gilscales Member

CNN controversies - Wikipedia

7. MikeQ

MikeQ Member

#2207 MikeQ, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Everyone on this forum was saying just the opposite when these news outlets were running FUD stories on Tesla. Funny.

• Like x 2
  8. gilscales

gilscales Member

I think for most people it depends on which way you lean politically, I personally think that one has to be very naive to believe that only one side of the news is biased (the one side you do not agree with) I am a conservative and watch the 3 major "Politically biased" news networks regularly along with other not so well known ones, my conclusion is that ALL networks are heavily biased and it so clearly visible I find it hard to imagine others do not see this fact. Don't even get me started on the Social network "Facebook" heavy bias and of course the number one search engine "Google" that 99% of people count on for their "Unbiased" search results!

• Like x 1
  9. gilscales

gilscales Member

I swear sometimes I feel like the only one with the sunglasses.

• Funny x 1
  10. johnnybgood888

Every news organization has had controversies in the past, be it inaccurate reporting, false attributions, or straight up reporting lies. This is because they are all ran by human beings, who are not infallible. The mark of a good organization is how they deal with the aftermath, whether they issue retractions, corrections or apologies.

I don't frequent Fox, Breitbart or Infowars to know if and how often they do so, but I definitely do see it with orgs who are established and follow some journalistic standards. And this is not just so-called "left wing" MSM (I personally consider CNN to be center, maybe slightly center left), center-right orgs like WSJ and Financial Times do the same.

• Like x 1
  11. gilscales

gilscales Member

So you have the glasses too? I was getting worried here, haha

12. johnnybgood888

I do not consider FUD stories on Tesla to be a left wing or a right wing thing. It's a disruptor vs establishment thing.

• Like x 2
  13. johnnybgood888

That's probably what the disheveled homeless guy sitting at the back of the bus mumbling and shouting to himself thinks. Maybe when you think everyone around you is crazy, you may want to consider that perhaps you may be the one who is.

• Funny x 1
  14. MikeQ

MikeQ Member

But it does show a lack of journalistic integrity none the less.

• Like x 1
  15. gilscales

gilscales Member

That is the problem with only trusting one side of the spectrum, it makes it harder to spot that the actual truth lies somewhere in the middle of what both sides are telling you, it really is something I suggest you try and without the blinders on preferably

• Like x 2
  16. gilscales

gilscales Member

hahah, BUUUHAHAHHAHA, haha, I'm ok , of course your ok Gil its all them, I know thats what I was saying!, your good Gil, you're my best friend Gil, thanks Gil i'm found of you to.

17. johnnybgood888

I totally agree that one should expose themselves to multiple points of views in order to get the full picture of what is going on. However, this does not mean we should give equal time and attention to all news organization for the sake of being balanced. I will gladly supplement my news from CNN or MSNBC with WSJ, Economist or FinTimes and maybe even Fox. But I will absolutely not waste anytime reading news from Infowars and Breitbart because they have never had a track record of journalistic integrity. They may one day be a legitimate news source, but as of now, they have not earned my trust.

• Like x 4
  18. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

Most people believe only what they want to believe. - Julius Caesar

19. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Even Fox News has been calling out Trump on his BS, so you know it's bad.

20. gilscales

gilscales Member

which makes them what? less biased?, haha