Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the context of the debate about Elon's attack on journalists, this is actually about journalism, not politics. But a good read.
I am a liberal. But I know Democrats in office are no better than Republicans | Alice Dreger
It is a good read. Her point is that everyone is prone to corruption and that journalism is necessary to fight it. This is true.

The Republicans are actually worse because many aren't just corrupt, they're members of a fanatical reality-denying death cult, and will destroy everything in pursuit of their deranged ideologies... Brownback's Kansas is a good example, where his tax-cut / small-government obsession caused the businessmen who put him in office to flee the state with their businesses. Normal corruption has a degree of *praticality* to it, and this reality-defying death cult has no practicality.

I respectfully disagree. My father in law is a doc and he’s seen the pharmacy industry sell the morality of pain avoidance.
Pharma industry sucks and is killing people by misleading people. As I did say, the way opiates should be used involves NEVER being pain free. They're just for cutting the pain down.

A friend was killed by a nurse who gave him an opioid following sleep apnea surgery. It will cause you to peacefully suffocate. That’s a corner case and a small chunk of the problem. All morphine drugs are addictive.
Technically, but only if misused. Not if used properly. Unfortunately, misuse is common because doctors don't know how to use them properly.

Some people may be less inclined to addiction, but it is still highly addictive. Almost 70,000 deaths from morphine/heroine/opioids were reported last year. Canabis based drips are frequently more effective and avoid addictive attributes.

Well, I'd love it if they were researched properly. So far we know from German studies that cannabinoids are extremely dangerous for anyone with a family history of schizophrenia; so far they seem OK for most other populations, but due to reefer madness they were not studied in most countries. I'd love to have the long-term safety evidence for cannabinoids which we have for slow-acting opioids like Tramadol.

The lack of studies means that it's not clear what the long-term side effects of cannabinoids are. We do know they work far better than opioids for certain types of pain, and far worse for other types of pain, so both need to be available.

Other drugs like Tylenol are often more effective in treating pain and inflammation, which can help healing.
As I said, long term constant (as opposed to intermittent) Tylenol use WILL KILL YOU. It causes liver failure. This is well known in the literature, yet irresponsible doctors don't know it and will prescribe Tylenol right up through liver failure. If you know anyone with chronic pain, THEY NEED TO KNOW THIS. It is much more dangerous than opioids for a long-term user.

Knowing people with chronic pain I have sympathy, but unless it is end of life care opioids are very dangerous.
Nope. False. Dangerous if used improperly, but so is Tylenol. Warn your friends with chronic pain about Tylenol liver poisoning.

Nearly 15% of users are addicted after a single use.ma
Nope. False. Fake, made-up lies. I'd like to trace back the source of this *particular* reefer madness style lie, if you'd care to cite it for me, because it is VERY dangerous to spread lies like this. Maybe it's specific to Fentanyl? Because it's simply not true of "opioids".

Prescription controls are slowing its use, but deaths are likely to climb another 3 years.
Yeah, but the suicides from the people who are denied treatment for chronic pain -- the ones who have been on *constant opioid doses for more than a decade with no development of tolerance* -- is the unfortunate side effect of the more mindless "prescription controls". You can read about this happening in the states which had reefer-madness panic restrictions on opioid prescriptions.

I think the doctors should be required to actually know how to prescribe opioids before prescribing them. It's a common mistake for doctors to tell patients to take enough to be pain free, which is simply WRONG. (And the pharma companies have made this worse.) I've never found a doctor who does it right -- as I say, the blogs from a network of MS patients in England is where I learned the proper protocol. Which just plain works.

I’m sure neither of us will change each other’s minds. I don’t believe opioids should be banned, i think there are almost always alternatives and use should require a second consulting physician to authorize and explain why alternatives are not possible.

Certainly, other alternatives should often be tried first; a very close friend of mine with a severe incurable degenerative disease eliminated the other alternatives within a few years due to unacceptable stomach damage and liver damage, and has been on a stable dose of opioids for over a decade. No tolerance effect. Zero chance of addiction. Massive quality of life improvement.

It's actually very simple. If you never get high you have no chance of addiction or tolerance. If you remain in pain (1 or 2 on the pain scale) you will never get high. The horrible part is that *nobody teaches this to doctors* so *the doctors don't explain it to the patients*. I'm sure some would still deliberately get high, but they aren't even being told to avoid being pain-free.

The reefer madness hysteria is making it harder to find doctors who will prescribe safe opioids rather than dangerous long-term high-dose Tylenol or Celebrex etc.

I think we agree on more than we disagree on. The pharma companies are consistently dishonest and dangerous. Their pushing of Celebrex and the other COX-2 inhibitors hurt my friend too, and she would have been better off on opioids back then. They don't tell anyone about the risks of long-term high-dose Tylenol use either. Doctors don't actually understand how to prescribe any of these powerful and potentially-dangerous drugs, and don't explain the risks or the correct protocols to the patients. These problems are *regardless of the drug*, unfortunately. They have to be fixed in a more systemic fashion with better training of doctors and suppression of pharmceutical advertising, not with knee-jerk restrictions on prescribing drugs.

This is all correct. But the unmentioned wildcard is that if Doug Ford (of the Ford drug dealer family, brother of the late crack-smoking mayor of Toronto Rob Ford) wins the Premiership in Ontario, everyone expects him to kill the Ontario electric car rebate. If the NDP wins, the rebate will probably stay in place. But there's some incentive to rush cars to Ontario before the election in case Ford wins.
Regarding Rob Ford, IMHO his negative portrayal in the press was unjustified. No he wasn't perfect, however the same way Tesla's image is being beat up relentlessly, so was Rob Ford. IMHO it was his obese appearance that set the Media on its negative tone. Photos of him ordering fast food would make the front page of the local paper. I did not support him but he did bring business acumen to the Mayor's role and significantly cut down on wasteful public spending. He did not take a salary during his tenure as Mayor and was liked by many in Toronto. He died of cancer during his term as Mayor, and I respected him.

You are correct that if Doug Ford, Conservatives, wins, the EV rebate will likely be scraped or reduced. This is why I chose to get my M3 now instead of waiting for the less expensive SR model. With the popularity of the M3 I think the EV rebate will be scrapped irregardless of who wins. Rebates are to entice people to purchase a product for the greater good that they would not normally consider. Rebates are not needed when people are jumping over each other to buy the product. Election is Thursday, June 7th. Those in Ontario, get out and vote! This is the end of my public service message.

Edit: month slip

Regarding Rob Ford, IMHO his negative portrayal in the press was unjustified.
Um, that's very IMHO, and I appreciate your humility.

Rob Ford was caught reading while driving, among other things. Really irresponsible. And of course the infamous crack-smoking. To be fair, he said he only smoked crack socially, and I believe him.

I also followed his budget shenanigans, and frankly, he didn't know what the hell he was doing; he made a complete mess of the transportation budget, which they are still trying to dig out from under.

I do think Rob Ford was well-meaning. And mocking him for his weight and his alcoholism problem was inappropriate.

Though reporting on Rob Ford's alcoholism problem was also important; the Toronto Star did so and Rob and Doug Ford attempted to suppress the reports (they lost, but it shows a record of trying to suppress inconvenient facts).

There have been some serious investigations into the Ford family. It turns out Rob Ford was the *nice* (but stupid) one. Doug and Randy Ford were the ones heavily involved in the drug dealing business, and much nastier.

Globe investigation: The Ford family’s history with drug dealing

'All three of the mayor's older siblings – brother Randy, 51, and sister Kathy, 52, as well as Doug, 48 – have had ties to drug traffickers.'

'Ten people who grew up with Doug Ford – a group that includes two former hashish suppliers, three street-level drug dealers and a number of casual users of hash – have described in a series of interviews how for several years Mr. Ford was a go-to dealer of hash. These sources had varying degrees of knowledge of his activities: Some said they purchased hash directly from him, some said they supplied him, while others said they observed him handling large quantities of the drug.'

'Numerous sources identified Randy Ford as former drug dealer, including one who identified himself as former partner, but he and Doug maintained distinctly separate operations. "Doug, being savvy as he was and as business-minded as he was, knew his brother was just too volatile," said "Justin," the street-level dealer who said he was supplied by Doug Ford.'

'However, four former dealers who spoke with The Globe described Mr. Price as a participant in Doug Ford's hash business in the 1980s.'

'Rob Ford was not a player in the Etobicoke drug trade. Several sources said they saw him around his brothers as they were doing business, but they said he didn't seem to be involved in a significant way.'

I guess there's something to be said in this era of hashish legalization for electing a Premier who has a history as a hashish trafficker, but I certainly wouldn't vote for a hashish trafficker who now *denies* his well-proven history of hashish trafficking. I'm still gobsmacked that the leader of the Ontario Conservative Party is a former drug dealer.

Last edited:
Regarding Rob Ford, IMHO his negative portrayal in the press was unjustified. No he wasn't perfect, however the same way Tesla's image is being beat up relentlessly, so was Rob Ford. IMHO it was his obese appearance that set the Media on its negative tone. Photos of him ordering fast food would make the front page of the local paper. I did not support him but he did bring business acumen to the Mayor's role and significantly cut down on wasteful public spending. He did not take a salary during his tenure as Mayor and was liked by many in Toronto. He died of cancer during his term as Mayor, and I respected him.

You are correct that if Doug Ford, Conservatives, wins, the EV rebate will likely be scraped or reduced. This is why I chose to get my M3 now instead of waiting for the less expensive SR model. With the popularity of the M3 I think the EV rebate will be scrapped irregardless of who wins. Rebates are to entice people to purchase a product for the greater good that they would not normally consider. Rebates are not needed when people are jumping over each other to buy the product. Election is Thursday, June 7th. Those in Ontario, get out and vote! This is the end of my public service message.

Edit: month slip
I have to respectfully disagree with you. The best thing I can say about the Ford mayoralty is that he was only able to do minimal damage because of our weak mayor system we have in Toronto. Some of the things he proposed and wanted to do would have caused decades of damage to the city (building subways where LRTs would have sufficed in the suburbs, and not wanting to spend the money on transit on where it was really needed, because it was not within his constituency, which is downtown Toronto). He spent almost as much money on consulting firms to find waste, than the amount of waste they actually found, which turned out to only be a few million dollars for a city the size of Toronto.

And that is not even mentioning the inappropriate use of the mayoral office for his own personal business when it suited him. His brother is cut from the same cloth and is a populist in the veins of Trump. I would have gladly supported the PC party in this election if they had elected a reasonable leader like Christine Elliott, but, like conservative movements all over NA, they are moving further and further right. And these people are Conservatives in name only. They are populists who do not know how to govern or compromise. When you are elected, you are the leader for everyone, not just the people who voted for you, there need to be compromises made. That is politics and governing. Not my way or the highway, it just drives people to be more and more partisan on both sides and that is not healthy for a democracy.

I apologize that this is probably not appropriate for this thread, but I just felt a need to respond to the post above, since I know there are a few other Torontonians/Ontarians who frequent this board.

Mods, please feel free to move or delete this post if you feel fit.

Mods, please feel free to move or delete this post if you feel fit.

No longer an active mod, but this discussion has been respectful and some of us with an interest in politics have been pariahed here from elsewhere to here on these subjects. I'm blown away with the talent on this site and think a thread like this gives us political junkies a convenient opportunity to sound off while receiving some really expert and often eloquent criticism or elaboration from others.

Besides, in the immortal words of my lovely wife to be when she drove us on a motor cycle through two red lights at high speed on the island of Koh Samui, "nobody dere."

Ggr is lurking about in any case and if anything political does get out of hand, even if he doesn't catch it I can since the mod gods repeatedly refused to eliminate some powers. Not needed here, but beware anyway since my favorite was deletion with little explanation. (I'm not just extinguished as a man and professor, but as a mod too!) Fire under control but not completely out, just yet.

Last edited:
There is no specific mention in the following by Larry Summers which has not been touched upon by others here or on other TMC threads. However, it is a clear summary of why the current administration is foundering or frittering away any tactical or strategic advantages in its trade policy. Basically it is a strategy to lose friends and strengthen opposition to U.S. interests. Example: it helps elect a leftist president of Mexico.

A short and economical read with no jargon.

http://larrysummers.com/2018/06/05/donald-trumps-trade-policy-violates-every-rule-of-strategy/

Reactions: neroden
There is no specific mention in the following by Larry Summers which has not been touched upon by others here or on other TMC threads. However, it is a clear summary of why the current administration is foundering or frittering away any tactical or strategic advantages in its trade policy. Basically it is a strategy to lose friends and strengthen opposition to U.S. interests. Example: it helps elect a leftist president of Mexico.

Donald Trump’s trade policy violates every rule of strategy | Larry Summers
I have come to believe that the machinery surrounding the current POTUS is so in the weeds so to speak that all it want's to do is please the emperor. The emperor want...no NEEDS constant attention. So it matters little that policy and downstream effects are not looked at. As long as a signing ceremony or maybe a big military parade are on offer the emperor is happy. The ONLY job's that are really safe are the one's that keep the emperor happy.

Donald Trump’s trade policy violates every rule of strategy | Larry Summers

@Intl Professor ~ I love your posts, but (humor) are you trying to make my head explode?:) Be forewarned there is a bursting radius of 35 meters plus or minus:)

Really, does someone/anyone think there is really a tactical or strategic plan ~ anywhere? I appreciate when someone attempts to make sense of it all.

I am just trying to keep my head above water so it does not explode. I wish there was some rhyme or reason to monetary policies so that I could beter judge day to day living and investments of my own:)

I am focused on the GrandPups (grandchildren), Tg there are only two to worry about:)

I have come to believe that the machinery surrounding the current POTUS is so in the weeds so to speak that all it want's to do is please the emperor. The emperor want...no NEEDS constant attention. So it matters little that policy and downstream effects are not looked at. As long as a signing ceremony or maybe a big military parade are on offer the emperor is happy. The ONLY job's that are really safe are the one's that keep the emperor happy.

So, I was wondering, now that you mention it (big military parade), the "Red Square" is taken ~ I am sure someone would choke on our military parading around in the "Blue Square.":)

Yeah I agree getting the "trump stink" off will be a tough job. However we humans have a problem with thinking long term.

My favorite high school math teacher once lamented, "too bad perspective comes at the wrong time of life." As I've said before, at the time I thought him silly since how could one get perspective without living into it? Now that I'm old I know my time is short yet I worry more about the long term, especially for—to build upon a phrase pioneered by DragonWatch—the four progeny of my grandpups.

• Love
Reactions: DragonWatch
The NDP and Liberal leadership need to get over themselves and form a coalition. It would be like the Clinton and Sanders wing of the Democratic Party refused to work together, got 56% of the vote but gave the Republicans all three branches of government with a filibuster proof majority in the Senate.

This is a massive push to force large centrist coalitions. That is how democracy is supposed to work. That is what the system encourages.

The Right was divided in 2 or 3 not that long ago with no hope of entering government.

It forced them to compromise.
The Clinton and Sanders wings of the Democrats do essentially refuse to work together, which is one big reason for the utter collapse of liberalism in the United States and the ascendancy of Trump.

• Informative
Reactions: anticitizen13.7
My wife and I just finished the 3rd of 4 parts to the Bobby Kennedy for President series on Netflix. It has been unexpectedly and unbelievably captivating for us both. Perhaps in part because we both followed the DNC primary and Bernie so closely in the last election, and too much of the documentary still seems uncomfortably relevant. We were too young to be aware of the events at the time. I would like more than anything to ask my parents about so many details of the show but they both passed away a couple years ago. I have always been impressed and appreciative of the political history discussions on this forum. I am very curious if anyone else has seen the series yet, and of course would greatly appreciate any first-hand perspective from those that lived through that time with eyes wide open (sorry for the rather blunt sugue)

The Clinton and Sanders wings of the Democrats do essentially refuse to work together, which is one big reason for the utter collapse of liberalism in the United States and the ascendancy of Trump.

They are still wings of the Democratic Party.

Really? Collapsed?

Donald Trump can't get over 50% in public approval polls.

BTW If Hillary had campaigned just a little bit in Michigan, Western Pennsylvania, Rural Wisconsin, and West Virginia and directly asked for the votes of white working class women she would be President today. The Bernistas did not force Hillary to run an atrociously bad campaign.

Reactions: neroden and mutle
First Past the Post strikes again. Canada needs to shift to proportional representation for its elections.

(See the Center for Election Sciences for more on this topic.)

The *59.36%* of voters who voted against the Tories are going to be very angry at the Ford government, which is undoubtedly going to be extremely abusive.

Drug dealer Doug Ford will undoubtedly preside over massive corruption and incompetence, as he tried to do on City Council in Toronto. Gonna be a hard four years for Ontario (assuming Ford doesn't get indicted before his term is up).

P.S. Doesn't this belong in Market Politics? I swear I'm not the one who starts taking the conversations off topic!

Status
Not open for further replies.