Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRP3

Hyperactive Member
Aug 20, 2007
Central New York
The other important difference between the two is Trump's ability to surround himself with sycophants who seem all too willing to go along with anything he does. I don't think Biden has the same ability, or even desire. After all Harris landed some of the most telling blows against Biden in the debates but he obviously didn't hold that against her.

wdolson

Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2015
Clark Co, WA
The other important difference between the two is Trump's ability to surround himself with sycophants who seem all too willing to go along with anything he does. I don't think Biden has the same ability, or even desire. After all Harris landed some of the most telling blows against Biden in the debates but he obviously didn't hold that against her.

The pattern over the last 30 years has been Democratic presidents surround themselves with people who will tell them their honest opinions. Republicans have wanted yes people who lick their boots. Paul O'Neil was told when he became GW Bush's first Treasury Secretary that Bush values loyalty beyond anything else. His book was entitled The Price of Loyalty.

Trump is an order of magnitude beyond Bush.

It's an example of how the Democrats and Republicans exist in separate universes.

Intl Professor

May 17, 2013
California
The pattern over the last 30 years has been Democratic presidents surround themselves with people who will tell them their honest opinions. Republicans have wanted yes people who lick their boots. Paul O'Neil was told when he became GW Bush's first Treasury Secretary that Bush values loyalty beyond anything else. His book was entitled The Price of Loyalty.

Trump is an order of magnitude beyond Bush.

It's an example of how the Democrats and Republicans exist in separate universes.

Truth has a way of validating itself. The faint of heart need constant validation, like my pacemaker. Recent battery good for ten years, according to clinic. I am not.

• Funny
Reactions: Off Shore

bkp_duke

May 15, 2016
San Diego, CA
No one should be beaten like that. Not for just trying to get away from the violence.
https://twitter.com/FromKalen/status/1295242722240995328 (WARNING - Graphic violence)

If lawlessness like this continues, the death count is going to rise. If the police will not do their jobs, the next thing you can likely expect is citizens assembling militias to combat the violence seen in these protests.

Then we will see the other side arm itself, and continue the escalation. This is the logical progression of things.

Anyone that thinks defunding police departments is the correct thing to do should take a HARD look at Portland. The US Gov troops have left, the State Troopers have left, and the local police refuse to engage. The anarchists know they have free reign, and are showing their true colors.

Look at the comments of that twitter thread, people are arming themselves.

bkp_duke

May 15, 2016
San Diego, CA
Yes, all those sales happened before this month. In times of stress, uncertainty and unrest it's not surprising.

Here's a personal note then:
I'm in my 40s, son of a LEO. I have actually avoided purchasing a firearm because I always believed it could conflict with my oath as a physician.

This month, I purchased a 40-cal to defend my family if need arises.

MikeQ

Jun 26, 2017
The Real World
I'm in my 40s, son of a LEO. I have actually avoided purchasing a firearm because I always believed it could conflict with my oath as a physician.

I'm ex-military and have always owned a gun. My son turned 18 in June and wanted to go the range and learn how to use it. We showed up to shoot and found out there's a nationwide shortage of ammo. Couldn't even buy 9mm for my handgun and 5.56mm limited to one box.

• Informative
Reactions: bkp_duke

JRP3

Hyperactive Member
Aug 20, 2007
Central New York

If I were living near a large city I'd probably do the same. Instead I realized long ago that I don't want to live in an area of concentrated human population, for many reasons.

wdolson

Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2015
Clark Co, WA
Truth has a way of validating itself. The faint of heart need constant validation, like my pacemaker. Recent battery good for ten years, according to clinic. I am not.

My father has had a pacemaker for almost 30 years. He's had to go through battery replacement a couple of times.

Medically, what he does is not aphasia. It's just . . . being uneducated. Probably his appeal to his base, he speaks their "language".

His niece Mary thinks he has an undiagnosed learning disability on top of three personality disorders. His functional vocabulary is very poor.

He can read a teleprompter, but I've heard they have to spell out things phonetically for him.

No one should be beaten like that. Not for just trying to get away from the violence.
https://twitter.com/FromKalen/status/1295242722240995328 (WARNING - Graphic violence)

If lawlessness like this continues, the death count is going to rise. If the police will not do their jobs, the next thing you can likely expect is citizens assembling militias to combat the violence seen in these protests.

Then we will see the other side arm itself, and continue the escalation. This is the logical progression of things.

Anyone that thinks defunding police departments is the correct thing to do should take a HARD look at Portland. The US Gov troops have left, the State Troopers have left, and the local police refuse to engage. The anarchists know they have free reign, and are showing their true colors.

Look at the comments of that twitter thread, people are arming themselves.

Have you seen some of the protests on the right? Those guys show up armed to the teeth. If they were carrying any more weapons they wouldn't be able to stand up.

The Boogaloo Bois might become a big issue soon
The Boogaloo Bois Are All Over Facebook

As for the Oregon State Police, the governor sent them to Portland to defend the federal courthouse as a temporary measure when the feds pulled back. It was part of the deal Kate Brown and Mike Pence struck. When the agreed upon two weeks was up the OSP decided that it was better for their officers to be back on their old beats.

The Portland police are still on the job they declared a riot and broke up protests Saturday night. They also made quite a few arrests over the weekend.

The protesters are able to be out there week after week because the economy is so bad. With unemployment high around the country there are a lot of people sitting around idle. On top of that add uncertainty about the pandemic, the abysmal government response to it, and the election looming and people are just worked up in general. The protesters are on edge, the police are on edge, and the counter-protesters are also on edge.

Oregon and Washington have extended their eviction bans, but many states haven't. That could lead to an explosion in the homelessness crisis in many states, which will possibly increase the violence. That could become an issue in the next month. Currently the system is unable to handle the ~500K homeless now. 28 million people face eviction over the next month or two. The first people out will be renters who haven't been able to pay rent, but next will be former homeowners who get ousted due to foreclosure.

If I were living near a large city I'd probably do the same. Instead I realized long ago that I don't want to live in an area of concentrated human population, for many reasons.

I live in the Portland suburbs. My partner has guns, but I don't feel one iota less secure than I did a year ago. The protests in Portland are very focused in very narrow areas. We have a friend who lives just east of downtown and her neighborhood has been completely calm and peaceful.

My partner knows people who have been at many of the protests. The vast majority of the time it's all speeches, chanting, and sing alongs. They have yet to see anyone anything resembling Antifa.

bkp_duke

May 15, 2016
San Diego, CA

There was a follow up video where some bystanders trying to help rolled that guy on his side. There is massive swelling to the back of his head, indicative of coup and contrecoup brain injury. I guarantee you he has a cracked skull, and if he didn't get treatment within an hour of the injury, he most likely died of brain swelling.

I hope the F-er that is in that video kicking him gets life in prison or capital punishment. I'm leaning towards the later because he's not worth the tax dollars that life in prison would cost the taxpayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC