Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fairly pointed critique of Trump from usually supportive Tucker Carlson
I don’t think he’s capable,” Carlson explained. “I don’t think he’s capable of sustained focus. I don’t think he understands the system. I don’t think the Congress is on his side. I don’t think his own agencies support him. He’s not going to do that.”

Carlson said it was “mostly” Trump’s fault that he hadn’t been able to deliver on his pledges, because “you really have to understand how” the legislative process works and “be very focused on getting it done.”

Trump “knows very little about the legislative process, hasn’t learned anything, hasn’t surrounded himself with people that can get it done, hasn’t done all the things you need to do so. It’s mostly his fault that he hasn’t achieved those things. I’m not in charge of Trump,” he added.
Fox News' Tucker Carlson Loses Patience With Donald Trump: 'I Don't Think He's Capable'

I don't think Trump ever expected to get elected. They way his cabinet was thrown together and then had a revolving door installed says to me that he had no plan. Not sure what he got out of running for president though. I guess maybe he just wanted the spotlight on him.

It was all about raising campaign funds to do what he loves to do, namely have supporters cheer and fawn over him as he regurgitated talking points that they loved to hear so much at rallies. Plus increase in "Trump" Brand awareness, which might be the thing that he is most keen on above all else.

He had been running for president since the 80s, always spotlighted as the comic relief. No one is laughing now.

He was flat out stunned speechless when he won. He never expected it. Don't think he really wanted it.

He has adapted lol.

:05 past the hour, and here we go -

If you're reading this and not the news, go see what Mueller is saying.

on edit: and so far, after 14 minutes, a great big nothingburger with redactions on top. Manafort lied. Okayyyyy......and?

Last edited:
I don't think Trump ever expected to get elected. They way his cabinet was thrown together and then had a revolving door installed says to me that he had no plan. Not sure what he got out of running for president though. I guess maybe he just wanted the spotlight on him.

Trump was in serious talks with Roger Ailes who was forced out of Fox News in early 2016 to start a new news network to compete with Fox. There was even talk of it during the campaign and they tried trotting out a trial run in an online channel during the campaign. The plan was Trump runs and loses, then capitalizes on it with the rubes for the rest of his life. Ailes out Foxes Fox doubling down on the right wing rhetoric and Trump has a ready market for whatever his latest scam is.

Trump needs the spotlight on him. He was probably furious the country was paying attention to Goerge HW Bush this week.

:05 past the hour, and here we go -

If you're reading this and not the news, go see what Mueller is saying.

on edit: and so far, after 14 minutes, a great big nothingburger with redactions on top. Manafort lied. Okayyyyy......and?

From a legal aspect it's pretty significant. I think Muller has thrown this out there to see what Congressional Republicans do. If they start taking their oath of office seriously and start looking into impeachment, he might just let them deal with it, which is the proper Constitutional course, but if they just make excuses, he might try indicting Trump himself. It will go to SCOTUS and it's not the slam dunk Mueller wants to see, but it may be the only way to get rid of him before 2020.

It's also interesting that Kelley talked to Mueller and now he's resigning.

Behavior offers a clue to mind. Some is captured and wisely labelled by others. Cf:

Rex Tillerson just exposed Donald Trump's greatest weakness - CNNPolitics

In my armchair psychologizing more revealing is Trump's refusal to recite scripture with others during the D.C. celebration of GHW Bush's life in the Washington Cathedral. Cf:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/reli...e-prayer-except-trump/?utm_term=.0ac701594d39

The mix of these and what else we know about Trump's profile leads me to conclude his silence at the funeral is not a principled rejection of religion, but just a recognition that now he's president there is not a higher power than he. Especially true as the nuclear codes are at his disposal. (Not quite true, but potentially if the military follows through.) I wonder what the new Chair of the Joint Chiefs has to say about this. I know in the case of Nixon there were at least two precautions taken, even on lesser potentials, say, moving an airborne division to Washington, D.C.

...Here on the west coast we had access to who Trump was. Nobody around here believed he could possibly win because he is such an obvious buffoon. He is only where he was because he's been very lucky not to get caught with all his criminal schemes, but regulators were mostly looking elsewhere.

He also has one single talent, he can sell anything to a specific type of person. If he hadn't been born into money, he would have been a very successful used car saleman in one of those places that offer financing for people who have bad credit. People with a better developed BS detector see him coming miles away. New York City people in specific saw through him and thought of him as the town joke because it's kind of in the NYC DNA to be cynical of anybody pitching something that looks too good to be true...

Reactions: wdolson
Behavior offers a clue to mind. Some is captured and wisely labelled by others. Cf:

In my armchair psychologizing more revealing is Trump's refusal to recite scripture with others during the D.C. celebration of GHW Bush's life in the Washington Cathedral. Cf:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/reli...e-prayer-except-trump/?utm_term=.0ac701594d39

The mix of these and what else we know about Trump's profile leads me to conclude his silence at the funeral is not a principled rejection of religion, but just a recognition that now he's president there is not a higher power than he. Especially true as the nuclear codes are at his disposal. (Not quite true, but potentially if the military follows through.) I wonder what the new Chair of the Joint Chiefs has to say about this. I know in the case of Nixon there were at least two precautions taken, even on lesser potentials, say, moving an airborne division to Washington, D.C.

In other words he now thinks he's God.

Reactions: Dig deeper

You're reading too much into it. It's that he's functionally illiterate, and attempting to read the catechism would have made this obvious.

Great balls o'fire, look who's standing up for #45!
Not really, but:
I come from a strict church-going upbringing; mother was a deacon and I was halleluing in the choir well into my dotag 30s - and we never recited the Apostles' Creed. The only reason I wasn't shellshocked into silence when I first had to do so in some idolatry-dripping R.Catholic wedding or some such was because I was modestly knowledgeable about it from certain choral works I'd sung.

Being a rock-ribbed New Englander, that church was, of course, Congregational. No, we don't still burn witches.

Putting #45 back on the hook, I read that his background was Presbyterian and that those heretics do read the Creed. Whether either is true or not, I don't know.

Don't overthink this, Profe. It was the Apostles Creed. No way he could remember anything that long.

In other words he now thinks he's God.

No. He's higher than God. Of course God deals with the details, like reality, science, etc. Trump's too important to deal with these.

Wasn't it Van Gogh who said the world was a poor sketch of God's? Van Gogh I can forgive. We get a deeper meaning to what we can see in texture, color match/contrast, boldness of outline by a half-mad genius which lifts us up in the evolution of humanity's artifacts. Great artists give us new human meaning to all the senses and their combination. With con artists, there's a difference.

Trump's God is the Devil and he has been repaid greatly for the unforgivable academic sin, lying, disrespecting the Constitution, exploiting fear for nefarious purposes, and now we are seeing him undermine the economy. He is an imperfect Nixon who similarly sealed his demise by his own actions. Trump's pathology and limited attention span has a deep seated morality since he betrays his real motives in a careless tweet or statement, like linking his decision to fire Comey to Russia in a TV interview! (Dare I say, Freudian slips?) He does this all the time because he knows, deep down he is shallow. As is often said of Hollywood, beneath that phony tinsel, there's real tinsel. Every effort to sully Mueller is further obstruction of justice.

Trump is unimaginably insecure, and he knows it. So are his followers who act out in him their own feelings of insecurity. (There are enough real causes of insecurity worth correcting. That is delayed by Trump's tantrums. As usual, the weak suffer more.)

That eulogistic week of Bush senior patched over some really bad policies he promoted but it was truly a revenge by the establishment with epic pomp and human circumstance.

The Trump hate is through the roof here. I remain very optimistic of Trump and his team to negotiate trade deals. If the China deal is made, the stock market and economy will boom. Plus there is the potential for a EU deal after the China deal. Autos are a big point of emphasis in the talks, especially EVs (this was specifically mentioned in a recent interview with the commerce secretary, Wilbur Ross). We will all be big beneficiaries if the deals fall into place. I hope those spewing the hate here, will be able to concede that Trump may be more capable than they have given him credit for. If the deals do not happen and the economy is worse off, I will be sure to state that you all were correct and that I have been wrong about him.

• Funny
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Status
Not open for further replies.