Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What Is a Federally Guaranteed Student Loan?

If you want details, check above. I still think these loan programs are hurting both students and our society. sorry.

Seems it wasn't mid 70s but 2010 we got some changes. 50 years ago? I don't know. Always thought borrowing money a dangerous thing to do, IF you could avoid it.

Did some further reading. The first student loan reforms took place in 1976 as an amendment to the Higher Education Act and required that debtors wait five years from the beginning of their repayment period, or demonstrate undue hardship, before their student loans were eligible for discharge in bankruptcy.

I've long held the view we socially construct reality but now must admit we socially create different realities. This explains deeply held convictions in politics and about stocks and cars related to Tesla. For example, I just spoke with my brother who lives in White Plains, N.Y. If he had the money he'd buy a Model X in a minute but was wary of the M3 "because of all the complaints from owners about shoddy construction." Of course I suggested the only real complaints about the M3 are from ICE manufacturers and owners plus big oil for what is happening to their businesses followed by illustration from the Consumer Reports imbroglio.

That may just be a necessary consequence of the popular interpretation of the collapse of the wave equation by various experimenters.

Here is evidence supporting the idea we socially construct our realities—even in and about science.

A quantum experiment suggests there’s no such thing as objective reality

Sorry guys.

I'm sure Trump grasps these ideas and so long as he pleases his base and Mitch McConnell fears being the primaried along with other Republican Senators, the prez has nothing to fear.

I'm sure Trump grasps these ideas and so long as he pleases his base and Mitch McConnell fears being the primaried along with other Republican Senators, the prez has nothing to fear.

The Republicans are stuck in a catch 22 of their own making. In the latest Gallup poll, Trump remains 90% approval among Republicans, 33% among independents, and 4% among Democrats. In primaries, it's a deadly combination for any incumbent who opposes Trump, but in a general election, it's a deadly combination for anyone who supports Trump.

According to Pew, party affiliation breaks down into 26% Republican, 31% Democrat, and 38% independent. I assume the remaining 5% refused to answer and could probably be considered Independent to a large degree. Of the Independents, 13% lean Republican, 7% are true Independents, and 17% lean Democrat.

So going into an election, a Republican candidate can count on about 39% of the vote will vote for them if they support Trump, but the remaining 60% mostly loath Trump and would really have to hate the Democratic candidate more to vote for Trump, and that's highly unlikely this time around.

There are many states and districts where the electorate is so Republican that the real race is in the primary. There the calculus for candidates is to stay on Trump's side or get primaried from the right.

I do think that some of the Democrats aiming for the presidency would be better off going after their state's senate seat instead. Beto O'Rourke should go after Cornyn's seat in Texas. If the economy falters between now and the election (which is highly probably from just how the business cycle works combined with the damage Trump and the Republicans did to the economy), a Democrat with a national profile running for the senate in a red state has a chance. Stacy Abrahms similarly would have a shot at unseating David Purdue in Georgia. Winning the presidency is all for naught without the Senate and House too. There are a lot of red Senate seats up for re-election, but most are in safe red states.

There are some places where Democrats could pick up seats. Some in places that were not seriously possible a few years ago. Susann Collins and Cory Gardiner are in serious trouble. But Kansas and Arizona had some upsets in the midterms and that puts Martha McSally at risk and puts Roberts' seat in Kansas in play. In Iowa, the disastrous trade war has turned the state against the Republicans, but the state GOP are still rabidly pro-Trump. That puts Jodi Ernst in one of the bigger catch 22 situations. She's already known as kind of a nutter in a state that is overall tired of nutters, but with a GOP that still loves them. If the Democrats can put up a good candidate against her, she'll be in trouble.

2020 could become a re-alignment election when a new party system starts. We're in the characteristic political chaos at the end of a party system. A Democrat with truly new ideas can sweep in a new constituency like FDR and Reagan did and set a new narrative for a generation or more. I haven't quite seen the new pattern gel yet, but there are noises.

If 2020 does turn into a realignment election, there will be a number of pattern changes to the vote. We could see a number of reliable red states flip. Anyone who has any awareness of voting patterns knows that Reagan's key to victory was flipping the South pretty solidly red. It had been safe Democratic territory since before the Civil War. But there were other patterns that shifted too. FDR had driven the Republicans back into the Northeast and had locked up the rest of the country. But the Pacific Coast states were not reliable for the Democrats and often went Republican. In 1976 Ford won the western US and Carter the east with a few scattered exceptions. Interior western states voted Democrat in many presidential elections.

The Republican cult is currently strong and Fox News has them believing BS, but their hold could snap if reality does penetrate into the bubble. And ex-cult members are not kind to the cult. Fox News' is still the top network in cable news, but their audience is slipping fast. MSNBC will probably overtake them this year. One problem Fox News has is their audience is mostly over 60. In 2015 the median age was 68 and I'm sure it's older now. The Republicans are the Shakers of cults. Their dying out, literally.

The young conservatives have a high percentage of mean louts who could turn violent, but they are really a pretty small percentage of the population. Basically they are highly concentrated nasty in a small container.

Another wild card is what happens to News Corp and Fox News when Rupert Murdoch dies? Two of his sons will control News Corp after he goes and neither of them are very conservative. Since Roger Ailes left Fox, they have allowed the on air talent more leeway to criticize Republicans, but they can't be too loose or their father would disapprove. If Rupert Murdoch were to die before the 2020 election, we could see Fox News completely change, which would throw the cult into confusion.

Something could happen to Trump between now and the 2020 election too. There are several possible scenarios where he's not on the ticket in 2020: defects to Russia to avoid legal troubles, is indicted and SCOTUS allows him to stand trial, his health collapses or he dies, or possibly something else we haven't thought of yet. Several things that never happened before happen every week now.

The Republican party post Trump is something not even the deepest insiders in the GOP knows what is going to happen. It will likely become a Game of Thrones scenario with different factions playing to win control of the party at all costs.

After the New Zealand massacre I hope we will become more sensitive to the terrorist threat posed by white nationalism and include it in our security concerns, equally weighted and because indigenous, a more direct threat to our homeland than ISIS. One of the main reasons we have failed to construct an effective counter ideology to Daish’s appeal is our attachment to white nationalism, reanimated in domestic political discourse. Moral leadership requires impeccable morality in thought and deed.

The main academic reason for my initial hire for a tenure track position was to teach about dictatorships, namely of the Soviet and other European varieties notably in Germany and Italy. One of the great books required for the course in survey form entitled, Authoritarian Mass Movements, was Hannah Arendt’s, The Origins of Totalitarianism. That work is notable not only for origination in mass movements, but also because in the last third she offers perhaps the best exposition written about the mechanism of organization, tactics, and governance in totalitarian systems.

Perhaps because those regimes were so important in historical context, or because she was born a Jew in Germany, there was little need to expose the extra-European intellectual roots of Fascist movements and if she did I missed it. (I am too lazy in my old age to check if she did include it.) Also useful to me and students was Peter Viereck’s Metapolitics: The Roots of the Nazi Mind, which has the same focus.

Today I was shocked to read how much admired and informed were the Nazis by U.S. legislative history and works by U.S. elites and intellectual publications.

This.

White Nationalism’s Deep American Roots

Some Greek has said "The unexamined life is not worth living." It can kill you too.

Last edited:
There was a lot of cross pollination between some Americans and the Nazis. A number of Americans were quite fond of the Nazis. Texaco threw a big lavish celebration to announce the big deal they made with Germany in 1940. The backlash from the public was strong enough they started sponsoring the Metropolitan Opera broadcasts to distract from the public relations disaster. Prescott Bush had dealings with the Nazis too.

I once read that there were concerns that Operation Paperclip (the program to bring German scientists with Nazi connections to the US to work on American rocketry and defense programs) could infect American culture with Nazi ideas. I can't verify whether or not that happened, but the Republican party has been sounding rather fascist the last 20 years. The boogiemen who are the enemy of the culture are not so much Jews as Muslims, and to a more diffuse way all non-whites. It's the same stuff in a different package.

After the New Zealand massacre I hope we will become more sensitive to the terrorist threat posed by white nationalism and include it in our security concerns, equally weighted and because indigenous, a more direct threat to our homeland than ISIS. One of the main reasons we have failed to construct an effective counter ideology to Daish’s appeal is our attachment to white nationalism, reanimated in domestic political discourse. Moral leadership requires impeccable morality in thought and deed.

The main academic reason for my initial hire for a tenure track position was to teach about dictatorships, namely of the Soviet and other European varieties notably in Germany and Italy. One of the great books required for the course in survey form entitled, Authoritarian Mass Movements, was Hannah Arendt’s, The Origins of Totalitarianism. That work is notable not only for origination in mass movements, but also because in the last third she offers perhaps the best exposition written about the mechanism of organization, tactics, and governance in totalitarian systems.

Perhaps because those regimes were so important in historical context, or because she was born a Jew in Germany, there was little need to expose the extra-European intellectual roots of Fascist movements and if she did I missed it. (I am too lazy in my old age to check if she did include it.) Also useful to me and students was Peter Viereck’s Metapolitics: The Roots of the Nazi Mind, which has the same focus.

Today I was shocked to read how much admired and informed were the Nazis by U.S. legislative history and works by U.S. elites and intellectual publications.

This.

White Nationalism’s Deep American Roots

Some Greek has said "The unexamined life is not worth living." It can kill you too.
Perhaps remove from all forms the box that says “race”

That’s easy enough. But what will it achieve?

For any kind of race based action we need stats.

To be racist, they don’t need forms - just one glance at a person.
Why not just try?
I started doing that 60+ years ago.
If millions just checked “other” if forced, or refused
Just simply try and the need may just fade away, eh?
Viable offspring?
Same “race”
Useless question otherwise.

Reactions: AZRI11
A most amazing, important, and inspirational story unfolding with so little media coverage as 16-year old Greta Thunberg has now been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. This is history in the making. There is a very informative video from the United Nations in this article. Please consider reading the article, watching the short video, and sharing it. If the US media doesn't want to give sufficient coverage to Climate Change and those fighting to raise awareness, perhaps we can all do our small part to help inform. TMC is a wonderful forum for such discussions since so many of us were drawn to Tesla and TMC because of our similar belief system. Very much appreciated:

16-Year-Old Game Changer, Greta Thunberg, Has Been Nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize

Last edited:
A most amazing, important, and inspirational story unfolding with so little media coverage as 16-year old Greta Thunberg has now been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. This is history in the making. There is a very informative video from the United Nations in this article. Please consider reading the article, watching the short video, and sharing it. If the US media doesn't want to give sufficient coverage to Climate Change and those fighting to raise awareness, perhaps we can all do our small part to help inform. TMC is a wonderful forum for such discussions since so many of us were drawn to Tesla and TMC because of our similar belief system. Very much appreciated:

16-Year-Old Game Changer, Greta Thunberg, Has Been Nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize
well, ==>>_we_<<== are some of the media.
I post and repost her story on facebook and elsewhere, a lot, meme's about her etc, as _you_ are doing right now. a groundswell, outpouring of
"e' double 'nuff, do something concrete now"
Jackie Allen-Doucot

• Love
Reactions: Paracelsus

Probably really controversial opinion here but :

IMO, it just displays the Nobel Peace Prize has lost its value. It's almost a sign of disrespect from the one who really have the power. Like "Oh youu guyss are so cutee, heyy look we think about you, we're giving this prize to this amazing little woman, yeaaa, she's going to change the world".

It's a bit like those 4th place trophy that we give to kids like "Heyyy don't worry, you still won, you're good, ...".

BTW, not to downplay the value of this girl and her actions. It's just that it doesn't feel honest from the people rewarding her.

Well, they gave the Nobel Peace Prize to Henry Kissinger (documented war criminal), and to Barack Obama who made his acceptance speech all about how great war was and then expanded several wars.

Greta Thunberg is a more worthy recipient than either. Might raise the respectability of what is currently a joke of a prize.

Probably really controversial opinion here but :

IMO, it just displays the Nobel Peace Prize has lost its value. It's almost a sign of disrespect from the one who really have the power. Like "Oh youu guyss are so cutee, heyy look we think about you, we're giving this prize to this amazing little woman, yeaaa, she's going to change the world".

It's a bit like those 4th place trophy that we give to kids like "Heyyy don't worry, you still won, you're good, ...".

BTW, not to downplay the value of this girl and her actions. It's just that it doesn't feel honest from the people rewarding her.
NB Anyone can be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Not anyone can nominate though as I found out a couple of months ago when I nominated her. Good to see some "heavies" have joined the fan club.

The Peace Prize has been political from the beginning. The first was for Teddy Roosevelt for brokering peace between Russia and Japan with the Treaty of Portsmouth, if memory serves.

For those who denigrate this nomination based on the diminutive stature of the instant nominee, a sign of her brilliance is drawing attention to the unique status of the young who are most affected by climate change. I have great grand daughters, aged four and six, who will become more active partisans of amelioration as they mature. Sadly, it's probably already too late. As George F. Kennan once said about public opinion in a democracy: It's like a large dinosaur, you can whack away at its tail but it takes time before the animal will move. (No "" because not exact.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.