Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a vast split between the younger generations and older generations in this country. I try to take into account that older generations always think the young are the end of everything and we've managed to muddle through, but this time there may actually be a very deep generational rift, at least in politics..

It's a huge, huge rift, and it's right around the 1974 birth year, just so you know.

What we need is a candidate who will appeal to the center and the right of center disgusted with Trump.
No. The "center" is mythical -- you've been studying politics, you should know this by now.

What we need is a candidate who is, and comes across as, honest and straightforward and a real reformer. And Biden looks this way to people who haven't bothered to look at his record. But as soon as his record is pulled out in the general election, all those right-of-center people will abandon him -- just as they abandoned John Kerry, who actually was honest but was made to look otherwise.

The middle of the electorate just want the madness to end.
There is no middle of the electorate. You really haven't been paying attention to the studies on this, have you?

These are the groups:
(1) Establishment Democrats (Habitual Democratic Voters)
(2) Left-wing Democrats
(3) Left-wingers who won't call themselves Democrats because of Democratic Party corruption
(4) Right-wing Religious Fanatics (some are abandoning voting because of Republican corruption)
(5) Fascists (these are now very loyal to the Republicans)
(6) Habitual Republican Voters (these are reachable)
(7) Right-wingers who won't call themselves Republicans because of Republican Party corruption
(8) People with radical views some of which are left and some of which are right, who are in neither party -- there are actually quite a lot of these.

There is NO mushy middle. The studies make this super clear.
Jim Hightower said the only thing in the middle of the road was dead armadillos.

The people in group (8) can be won over by just getting one policy they care about right, and being *convincing about actually executing it*, because group (8) is very very cynical. Serve up an "establishment" figure, and you lose all of them. They'll vote for Sanders because of his sincerity and consistency, or for Gary Johnson, but never for a Hillary or a Biden.

Look at Beto and how well he did in Texas of all places. Did he do well by being "moderate"? Absolutely not. He did well by being genuine and grassroots.

Biden sort of seems genuine and grassroots on a shallow viewing, but as soon as his record of promoting debt slavery and helping bankers starts being noticed...

Because of this, there is a better than average chance Trump may not be the Republican candidate in 2020.
That would definitely change things.

The US has the different party systems that switch every 30-50 years and the US is ripe for another one. At the end of a party system cycle there is a sense the old ideas are stale and not working anymore and people are ripe for something new, a new direction. That's happening in the US.
That's why Biden's a god-awful candidate.

The midterm elections were not only a rebuke of Trump, but also a sign of that thirst for change.
Yes.

If the trend continues, the next Congress will likely be more progressive than this one. Biden is a moderate, but he will likely go along with a Congress that's more liberal than what he's used to. His political career started during the unraveling of the New Deal party system and the bulk of it was during the conservative Reagan party system. He had to adopt to more conservative ideals because that's the way the political winds were blowing. But he also has evolved with the time. He embraced same sex marriage quite quickly and he says he now regrets some of his more conservative moves in the past.
I hope he manages to stop looking like The Stale Old Ideas, but he looks awfully like The Stale Old Ideas right now.

My priority is a candidate who looks new. ANY of the other candidates has at least one signature plan for changing SOMETHING which everyone agrees is broken and has been broken for a long time. Whether it's Buttegieg or Beto or Cory Booker or even Harris. Several have picked healthcare -- and a majority of Republicans support single-payer according to the last polling I read!

What's Biden got? Nothing so far. That worries me a LOT.

And how many left-leaning independents are you gonna lose? It was 5% of the total voting population last time. Probably more.

Dead wrong. The actual Democrats all turn out, always; just having Trump on the ballot is enough for them to turn out.

It's left-leaning independents who will stay home.

Nopers. They're in Ohio, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. I know these people.

Your analysis is dead wrong.

Biden is doing the best against Trump in the head to head polls in those three states, though Ohio hasn't been polled in a while.
Pennsylvania Polls
Ohio Polls
RealClearPolitics - Michigan General Election Polls

Hillary turned off a lot of men, especially white men who might otherwise have voted Democrat. Back in 2008 I read an analysis about why people hated Hillary. The analysis summed up that Hillary reminds a lot of men of their ex-wife. I don't have an ex-wife and she is not like any woman I have ever remotely been interested in, but I get it, she rubs me the wrong way too.

I know a bunch of men who hated Hillary so much they would never consider voting for her no matter how horrible Donald Trump was.

Reactions: neroden
Biden is doing the best against Trump in the head to head polls in those three states, though Ohio hasn't been polled in a while.
Pennsylvania Polls
Ohio Polls
RealClearPolitics - Michigan General Election Polls

Hillary turned off a lot of men, especially white men who might otherwise have voted Democrat. Back in 2008 I read an analysis about why people hated Hillary. The analysis summed up that Hillary reminds a lot of men of their ex-wife. I don't have an ex-wife and she is not like any woman I have ever remotely been interested in, but I get it, she rubs me the wrong way too.

I know a bunch of men who hated Hillary so much they would never consider voting for her no matter how horrible Donald Trump was.

Biden's charming personality and solid campaigning skills certainly give him a leg up versus Hillary. I hope it's enough.

It wasn't enough for John Kerry, who had both a charming personality and solid campaigning skills, and lost to a draft-dodging ex-cocaine-user idiot liar who lied the country into two disastrous wars.

Biden looks a hell of a lot like Kerry to me in this campaign. He would be about the most disastrous nomination choice we could make, IMO. We need to pick someone principled -- it almost doesn't matter what the principle actually *is*, which is why most of the other candidates are fine. (Tulsi Gabbard would probably be worse.)

----

In general, throughout US history, governors (and generals) have the best chance of winning the Presidency. Senators are TERRIBLE at winning the Presidency, and we shouldn't nominate them.

I suspect this is because governors and generals are correctly perceived as having executive experience, whereas legislators don't have that experience. Also, Senators develop the wrong attitude for Presidential campaigns, I think. *Sitting* vice presidents are a close third after governors and generals, probably because they're "anointed" by their predecessor, but Biden's not a sitting VP. An Obama endorsement could make the difference there, if he got it, which I don't think he would.

So tactically, the best options are Steve Bullock, Jay Inslee, or John Hickenlooper -- the three governors running. They have wildly different platforms, but they're governors. If you want a "conservative", the best choices for the general election so far are Bullock or Hickenlooper (depending on which "conservative" issues you think are more salient).

Personally I think Bullock -- he's staked out "left-wing" positions on cases where a lot of right-wingers agree with the "left-wing" position, like opposing Citizens United.

More governors might enter the race, though.

But anyway, tactical rule: to win the general election, nominate a governor. NOT a Senator.

Last edited:
I've found that most business leaders are extremely narrow-minded, small-thinking people. The random, blanket tariffs are absolutely destroying American business, however. At the very least I expect all business campaign donations to go to the Democratic Presidential candidate in 2020. Trump will have to self-fund or fund illegally from Russia.

Poor Mueller. Too rigid to realize that the OLC memo claiming that the President couldn't be indicted was (a) illegal, (b) unconstitutional, (c) complete bullshit, and (d) not binding on him or a grand jury.

Agreed in spades. If Trump were smart, and Putin is, so it is hard to tell if the Orange is pushing Biden because he wants to run against him. Nixon not only selected McGovern, but his VP too through leak to the press.
Trump thinks he can beat Biden because Biden has enough baggage that the progressive Dems won't get motivated to vote for him, the way they weren't motivated to go out and vote for Clinton.

I think even lolachampcar would like Bullock: Bullock's #1 issue is reversing Citizens United and getting money out of politics. And he has some proposals which will actually help (though they won't totally get money out of politics) -- and he has some other proposals which would help with the underlying problem I identified, of some people just being so rich they can buy Congress.

Actually, I just donated to Bullock. He only entered the race in the last couple of weeks (while I was not paying attention), but I think he is in the best tactical position as a governor of a rural state which sometimes votes "red". And he's fine on policy and has a good track record.

Last edited:
I think even lolachampcar would like Bullock: Bullock's #1 issue is reversing Citizens United and getting money out of politics. And he has some proposals which will actually help (though they won't totally get money out of politics) -- and he has some other proposals which would help with the underlying problem I identified, of some people just being so rich they can buy Congress.

Actually, I just donated to Bullock. He only entered the race in the last couple of weeks (while I was not paying attention), but I think he is in the best tactical position as a governor of a rural state which sometimes votes "red". And he's fine on policy and has a good track record.
Who?

Steve Bullock, Democratic Governor of Montana.

But you epitomize the problem: right now Biden is cruising on NAME RECOGNITION ALONE. That's very fragile in the general election, but how is someone else going to break out of the pack and win the nomination? Hopefully a vibrant set of debates will help.

Reactions: Lucky_Man and gene
Biden's charming personality and solid campaigning skills certainly give him a leg up versus Hillary. I hope it's enough.

It wasn't enough for John Kerry, who had both a charming personality and solid campaigning skills, and lost to a draft-dodging ex-cocaine-user idiot liar who lied the country into two disastrous wars.

Biden looks a hell of a lot like Kerry to me in this campaign. He would be about the most disastrous nomination choice we could make, IMO. We need to pick someone principled -- it almost doesn't matter what the principle actually *is*, which is why most of the other candidates are fine. (Tulsi Gabbard would probably be worse.)

There are some parallels with Kerry, but there is also the fact that very often the reelection of a sitting president is an initiative on the incumbent. Nate Silver has pointed out that no sitting president with an approval rating below 48% has ever won reelection. Very frequently the popular vote mirrors the approval rating of the president on election day. In 2004 Bush's approval rating was almost exactly 50% and he got less than a percent over 50%.

Incumbent presidents rarely get more or less than a few percent from their approval ratings. In 2012 Obama got a bit more largely because Romney flamed out in the stretch. But he was still within the historic spread.

Trump is facing the fact that over 50% of the population despise him and more than 50% say in polls they will definitely not vote for him for any reason. The only way he wins is by keeping those people from voting, or getting the opposition vote split between multiple candidates. Or lose big in some big states and pull off a lot of small margin squeakers in some smaller states like he did in 2016. Or a combination of all of the above.

----

In general, throughout US history, governors (and generals) have the best chance of winning the Presidency. Senators are TERRIBLE at winning the Presidency, and we shouldn't nominate them.

I suspect this is because governors and generals are correctly perceived as having executive experience, whereas legislators don't have that experience. Also, Senators develop the wrong attitude for Presidential campaigns, I think. *Sitting* vice presidents are a close third after governors and generals, probably because they're "anointed" by their predecessor, but Biden's not a sitting VP. An Obama endorsement could make the difference there, if he got it, which I don't think he would.

So tactically, the best options are Steve Bullock, Jay Inslee, or John Hickenlooper -- the three governors running. They have wildly different platforms, but they're governors. If you want a "conservative", the best choices for the general election so far are Bullock or Hickenlooper (depending on which "conservative" issues you think are more salient).

Personally I think Bullock -- he's staked out "left-wing" positions on cases where a lot of right-wingers agree with the "left-wing" position, like opposing Citizens United.

More governors might enter the race, though.

But anyway, tactical rule: to win the general election, nominate a governor. NOT a Senator.

This is true, though recent trends have bucked that. Of the major party nominees over the last 20 years, there have been only two governors (Bush and Romney). 4 senators have been major party nominees (Kerry, McCain, Obama, and HRC), though Hillary had a stint as Secretary of State in between.

I do agree having executive experience is a plus for the job. Bullock isn't a bad choice, though I think he has a better chance of winning the Senate in Montana. I wish some of these candidates who are long shots for the Democratic nomination would aim for Senate seats. The Democrats need to flip some red state senate seats in 2020 if they are going to get anywhere.

There are very few Democrats running for president who I don't think would be a reasonable choice, though I agree with you about Gabbard, she's sort of the Democrat's answer to Michelle Bachman.

Agreed in spades. If Trump were smart, and Putin is, so it is hard to tell if the Orange is pushing Biden because he wants to run against him. Nixon not only selected McGovern, but his VP too through leak to the press.

Putin wants the west so badly disrupted that he has free reign to do what he wants. He wants both Europe and the US in chaos.

Rick Wilson still has a lot of friends within the GOP ranks and even gets inside dirt from within the White House. According to Wilson of all the Democrats running, Trump is most scared of Biden. Trump is not the strategic thinking Nixon was. He can't really plan anything, so he's not trying to manipulate the field to get the opponent he wants to run against. He's trying to destroy his worst enemy before that enemy is in a position to take him on directly. Trump is a 2 dimensional thinker that way.

At some point big business has got to pull the strings and remove Trump through the 25th amendment. There should be a helluva backlash against the blanket Mexico tariff. Putin's goal is now to destroy the economy. (I now draw no distinction between Trump and Putin. What a great anti-christ.)

It will be interesting to see what big business interests do with the constant attacks on the economy.

Mexico can't stop the flow of immigrants coming here because you can't stop thousands of individuals from doing something. It didn't work with alcohol, doesn't work for recreational drugs, doesn't work for prostitution, and it doesn't work for immigration. If enough people want to do something that is illegal, there is no way to really stop them, no matter how good your police are. More heavy handed policing just drives the activity further underground.

If Trump carries through on his threats with Mexican tariffs (you can never be sure of anything with him, he could be running around the White House lawn with his pants around his ankles tomorrow morning), it will have an even bigger impact on the US economy. Because of NAFTA, a lot of parts to things made in the US are made in Mexico. Elon said that production of the Model S was once stopped because a gang war at the border prevented a truck load of trunk carpet from getting to Fremont.

Trump is also so stupid and so stubborn he still believes that China and Mexico pay the tariffs. Despite being told many times.

The Evangelicals might also bolt the GOP over abortion rights. If these crazy bans win in the Supreme Court, they will have gotten their big victory and when they look at all the other things the GOP is doing, they might just abandon them. On the other hand Wilson has an interesting thought that Roberts might vote with the liberals to end the abortion madness once and for all by strengthening Rode v Wade from an implicit right to an absolute right. That might cause Evangelicals to abandon the GOP too as they will see all their effort for nearly 40 years go down the tubes. They might wake up to the fact that the current president ticks off all their boxes for the anti-christ and may determine they lost because they backed the anti-christ?

I am persuaded opening an impeachment inquiry at some time in the future is Nancy Pilosi’s secret strategy.

On a crass political level I can’t imagine Trump or his voters would appreciate committee after committee in the House uncovering duplicity, corruption, yada, yada, and high crimes and misdemeanors for months at a time in 2020 in the heat of the presidential campaign. What a publicity show this could be nailing the guy again, and again. Who cares whether the House votes on the actual articles of impeachment? It’s showtime!

Obviously you can’t impeach successfully as the Senate is presently constituted and recent history suggests they are not viable until the public reaches a widespread feeling it must be done. That preparation is underway already.

This has to be a secret strategy otherwise it will just be viewed as a political stunt. However, it will be anyway, and even the Mueller report is being played by Trump now as just a Democratic political concoction. So what’s the risk? It will be portrayed by Trump’s defenders as just a political ploy but aren’t High Crimes and Misdemeanors just the highest of what is political?

What is crucial is timing. One trigger will be the actual refusal to respond to a subpoena which has not happened yet but may sooner than expected as some judges are clearly on to the big stall tactic. But other triggers are completely under Pilosi’s control. She could set the actual impeachment vote for November 15, 2020.

Obviously Nancy can’t talk about this now, but who am I? Just a spectator, not a gladiator. And what a spectacle! This is the greatest show since Watergate, even bigger! The downside is war, John Bolton’s solution . Since Mattis is gone there is no preparation by cabinet secretaries as done behind the scenes during Watergate.

I’m glad Nancy has the gavel, not me. She's presidential material. Could we have an honorary Queen?

Last edited:
  • Love
I think the House leadership wants to keep this on simmer for a few more months. Strategically getting the public worked up about impeachment right around primary season has the biggest impact. If a relatively large segment of the US population are calling for impeachment right about the time that Republicans up for reelection have to campaign, it will put them in a bind and make it more politically treacherous for all Republicans in the Senate up for reelection, including McConnell.

The House is moving slowly right now because the courts want to see all reasonable remedies taken before people are held in contempt of Congress. They are burning up the administration's arguments in the courts and the judges are making broad rulings. Once the deadlines set by the courts pass, the House can move to harsher measures.

We could see Barr and Minuchin locked up until Jan 2, 2021 and it can be in any federal prison or jail the House wants to throw them. Inherent contempt hasn't been used for almost 100 years, but its purely a Congressional thing and outside the courts and the executive branch. The House just wants to be careful to ensure that in the future vindictive Republicans don't start locking up Democrats serving a Democratic president on whims. They need to make sure the cases for contempt are big and all other options are used up first. That's probably why Barr isn't in a prison cell right now. Pelosi knows the Republicans will be gunning for revenge in the future.

• Love
Here's the perfect gift idea for your friends. These are selling by the hundreds on ebay.
51rjqQQQmjL._SL500_AC_SS350.jpg

I've found that most business leaders are extremely narrow-minded, small-thinking people. The random, blanket tariffs are absolutely destroying American business, however. At the very least I expect all business campaign donations to go to the Democratic Presidential candidate in 2020. Trump will have to self-fund or fund illegally from Russia.

Poor Mueller. Too rigid to realize that the OLC memo claiming that the President couldn't be indicted was (a) illegal, (b) unconstitutional, (c) complete bullshit, and (d) not binding on him or a grand jury.

Throughout my business life I've watched those with financial interests ever narrow the scope of performance and return such that we are almost at a quarterly (or even shorter) outlook. This has had at least two impacts. First, long term interests are not part of the strategy or even considered allowing for short term value extraction at the expense of functionality and viability. Second, management is ever more laser focused on getting in, driving profits up and getting out while reaping their own reward. You see this in the divergence of employee/CEO pay.

Business is indeed loosing their ability to think. That is what is so refreshing about Musk but he is fighting an uphill battle.

As for Mueller, rules are rules and there is a lot to be said for playing by them. The President "owns" the Department of Justice. Just watching the Senate allow that clown Barr to be installed should tell you as much. Saying the JD should deal with a corrupt President simply does not make any sense which makes Mueller's position the only viable one.

The problem you are really having is that Congress was incompetent prior to Trump coming along and, when you need them to be competent, there is really no one at home. We have changed the way we hire. The job candidates we are getting reflect this change in hiring practices. Old mantra but we are the ones that need to change when it comes to playing by the rules and not Mueller who is actually playing by the rules.

Apologies to the Trump supporters for using that filthiest of "i" words. Trumptin will be greatly surprised when he learns stacking the Supreme Court is no protection from impeachment. (EvenPutin must be laughing at this clown. Not the US Chamber of Commerce, though. This messing with Mexico may be waking a few heads out of their ostrich position.)

There are
Trump’s Tariff Threat Sends Mexico, Lawmakers and Businesses Scrambling
and
The New Tariffs Against Mexico Signal the U.S. Isn’t a Reliable Negotiating Partner

Expect more turbulence ahead. (I know, can't be caused by the fake science of climate change.)

Last edited:
Since I'm an "extinguished professor" of Soviet Studies, I have little feel for Putin's world. Domestically he is very popular for his march on Ukraine as there is nostalgia in Russia for the old Soviet empire, but at what point will Vladimir realize Trumptin and complete world disorder is a disaster for him too? Maybe when Bolton gets his way and Iran and surrogates in the Middle East are nuked?

There is a saying in Russia that if you torture a bear, you must be prepared to kill it. Maniacal bullies like Hitler are content with suicide at the end of Götterdämmerung. Doesn't sound like Putin's style, but Trump has never suffered complete defeat before without some hail mary pass like Russian financial rescue.

Throughout my business life I've watched those with financial interests ever narrow the scope of performance and return such that we are almost at a quarterly (or even shorter) outlook. This has had at least two impacts. First, long term interests are not part of the strategy or even considered allowing for short term value extraction at the expense of functionality and viability. Second, management is ever more laser focused on getting in, driving profits up and getting out while reaping their own reward. You see this in the divergence of employee/CEO pay.

Business is indeed loosing their ability to think. That is what is so refreshing about Musk but he is fighting an uphill battle.

As for Mueller, rules are rules and there is a lot to be said for playing by them. The President "owns" the Department of Justice. Just watching the Senate allow that clown Barr to be installed should tell you as much. Saying the JD should deal with a corrupt President simply does not make any sense which makes Mueller's position the only viable one.

The problem you are really having is that Congress was incompetent prior to Trump coming along and, when you need them to be competent, there is really no one at home. We have changed the way we hire. The job candidates we are getting reflect this change in hiring practices. Old mantra but we are the ones that need to change when it comes to playing by the rules and not Mueller who is actually playing by the rules.

American corporate leadership is largely bean counters these days. The way the stock market works now with algorithms doing most of the trading doesn't help this thinking.

Younger companies are run by different people, Elon being the highest profile of the lot, but the older companies are all run by bean counters with no imagination trying to turn a quick buck short term at long term damage to the health of the company. The collapse of Sears is this phenomenon in a nutshell. Instead of doing the long term things to prop up the company and make it viable for the 21st century, they used all their money buying back stock to keep the stock price up until they ran out of money.

Reactions: dm28997
You do a disservice to all by using "beancounters". The term seems harmless. Instead, we have taken the best and brightest among us and incentivized them to do all the wrong things by extracting instead of creating value. Being an engineer, I have an instinctive feel for how the basic rules apply across multiple disciplines. Water wetting out a floor is basically the same thing as current dispersion across a conductive plane.

The basics are my go to. I see the same thing in politics as I see in Tort Law as I see in corporate governance. Beancounters is most certainly too benign a term for my tastes. I do not think it accurately reflects the threat posed by the approach.

As alway, JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.