Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The US Constitution mandates that revenue raising bills originate in the House of Representatives. This would include tariffs, which were the primary means to raise revenues during the early days of the republic. Congress ceded that responsibility regarding tariffs to President Wilson as an emergency measure during World War I, over a century ago. That has never been rescinded.

It seems to me that ceding that obligation to the president should have required a constitutional amendment rather than a mere statute. What do you lawyers out there have to say?

• Love
Reactions: AZRI11 and neroden
You do a disservice to all by using "beancounters". The term seems harmless. Instead, we have taken the best and brightest among us and incentivized them to do all the wrong things by extracting instead of creating value. Being an engineer, I have an instinctive feel for how the basic rules apply across multiple disciplines. Water wetting out a floor is basically the same thing as current dispersion across a conductive plane.

The basics are my go to. I see the same thing in politics as I see in Tort Law as I see in corporate governance. Beancounters is most certainly too benign a term for my tastes. I do not think it accurately reflects the threat posed by the approach.

As alway, JMO.

I don't think the executives of most companies today are the best and brightest. They are often not that competent at whatever the company actually does, but instead have skills and talents to rise in the corporate ladder. My father was talking about the handwriting on the wall when getting an MBA became the big thing in the 70s and 80s.

My father, as a business owner, started MBA programs at both UCLA and USC, but quit both because he said there was intense focus on turning a profit with no thought about the product the company produced. He saw the same thing proliferate throughout industry in the following years.

The "beancounter" term comes from an article I read in the Oil & Gas Journal over 30 years ago. The article was about the three stages of an oil and gas company, but it applies to most companies too. The stages are:

1) Entrepreneurial - The company is in its early days and run by someone with a lot of ideas, but maybe not the best business sense. A lot of companies go out of business during this time, but it's a very dynamic time for a company.
2) Engineer - If a company survives the early stage, the founder often steps aside and someone who has been around the company and risen in the ranks takes over. The company's early dynamism is gone, but the top management understands the business intimately, often because they helped build it. Companies rarely go out of business during this phase and while profit don't grow massively like they did in stage 1, growth is slow and steady.
3) Beancounter - The accountants take over and run the company into the ground because they are MBAs who have no clue about what the company makes and they don't care. Short term profits are everything and the company ends up slowly declining until it collapses.

The TV Show Silicon Valley is about the Entrepreneurial phase of a company. There isn't much in TV or movies about the Engineering phase because there are few dramatic moments that an audience would be interested in.

In the car industry, people like Lee Iacoca were the last of the engineers to rise to high management in the mainstream industry. He worked his way up actually selling cars for a short while early in his career. He knew what did and didn't work in the car industry and he managed to turn Chrysler around when they were on the ropes the first time.

Tesla is on the Entrepreneurial/Engineering cusp. It's time for Elon to step aside and let someone with better people skills run the day to day operations of the company. He's a natural disrupter, which is fine for some things, but bad when trying to run a stable company.

Most of the large US companies that have failed in the last 20 years have done so because of a combination of the market changing and the beancounters running them not knowing how to change course when it did.

The US Constitution mandates that revenue raising bills originate in the House of Representatives. This would include tariffs, which were the primary means to raise revenues during the early days of the republic. Congress ceded that responsibility regarding tariffs to President Wilson as an emergency measure during World War I, over a century ago. That has never been rescinded.

It seems to me that ceding that obligation to the president should have required a constitutional amendment rather than a mere statute. What do you lawyers out there have to say?

That's a good question, I'll ask my SO, but I think I read somewhere that the reason this power was ceded to the president was for it to only be applied for national defense issues. Under the constitution, the executive branch has the responsibility for national defense and as war making ability became more technological, it was thought the president needed more power to influence industry to prevent industries critical to defense from going overseas.

So it was a national defense issue rather than a national income generating thing. Even by 1917 the usefulness of tariffs for national income was getting pretty weak, but they did still have some usefulness in protecting domestic industries. That's how they are generally used in most countries today. I think some small countries still use tariffs to generate national income, but for larger countries there are much better ways.

The problem you are really having is that Congress was incompetent prior to Trump coming along and, when you need them to be competent, there is really no one at home.
*cough* There's a reason I've been calling for the abolition of the Senate since I was six years old.

It's always the Senate, you know. The House has its problems, but it's always the Senate which really breaks the government: confirming Cabinet members who shouldn't be confirmed; confirming judges who shouldn't be allowed to be lawyers, let alone judges; obstructing legislation which the country desparately needs; approving treaties which should never have been approved; being unwilling to rein in the executive branch when it overreaches; creating gridlock which causes the executive branch to seize power (this started under *Washington*, believe it or not).... and of course inventing the bogus practice of the filibuster in order to hide their votes (so that a majority of Senators could claim they voted "for" something popular which failed).

The Senate is largely responsible for the dithering which led to the Civil War; it's responsible for making lynching continue until the 1960s; it is now preventing us from getting rid of Trump. Hell, it's responsible for the existence of the Electoral College, another institution which should be abolished.

Mueller isn't playing by the rules; he's playing by *Robert Bork's* rules, since Bork is the one who invented the completely unconstitutional and traitorous idea that the President couldn't be prosecuted (that he was above the law). Look up the history of Bork. Bork did not follow the rules. His main claim to fame was the "Saturday Night Massacre".

That's a good question, I'll ask my SO, but I think I read somewhere that the reason this power was ceded to the president was for it to only be applied for national defense issues. Under the constitution, the executive branch has the responsibility for national defense
Not actually true, but the courts have invented this bogus idea.

The Constitution gives the sole power to make war and conduct peace to Congress. Unfortunately, the courts, Congress, and the executive all conspired to give more and more of this power to the President. There was pushback after Vietnam which led to the War Powers Act; it was partially gutted by a corrupt Supreme Court; and there is more pushback coming from Congress now.

The big problem is that the President's veto power (which probably shouldn't exist) has been used to make sure that once Congress has ceded power to the President the President never gives the power back.

Congress does have a few big levers it can use. The Constitution really vests supreme power in Congress.

The budget is one: Congress wrested a lot of budgetary power back with the Anti-Deficiency Act. Congress can really prevent the President from spending money, and can also force money to be spent when he doesn't want to spend it by direct transfer appropriation.

Inherent contempt is another.

Stripping the courts of jurisdiction is a third, used extremely rarely, but appropriate when the courts are corrupted.

The really big lever they haven't used yet is the Army Appropriations provision: no bill for army appropriations can last longer than 2 years, so if Congress refuses to pass such a bill for 2 years, the US Army *MUST BE DISSOLVED ENTIRELY AND IMMEDIATELY*. The Founders *really* hated standing armies. Unforunately a majority of Congress is either in bed with the military-industrial complex, or believes the fiction that our army is worth anything (it's a Potemkin army which loses every war it gets into and serves no purpose other than enriching military contractors, as I've explained elsewhere).

I think it's possible, when people get angry enough, for the House to use all these levers. The problem is the malapportioned, anti-democratic Senate, where empty Wyoming has as much power as gigantic California or Texas. The Senate is going to destroy the US governmental system. The only reason the US Constitution survived the Civil War period is that the troublemakers *walked out of the Senate* when the Confederate states seceded, making the Senate more productive than it ever was before or since.

So it was a national defense issue rather than a national income generating thing.
Legally, Trump is only supposed to be allowed to create tariffs for national security reasons. Most of Trump's tariffs simply don't qualify -- they're illegal. Unfortunately, the courts have been unwilling to strike his illegal tariffs down, so far.

While the US political system has its problems, it *is* a republic of States, so it makes a certain amount of sense that States rights are recognised via a senate and the electoral college. New York should not be able to step on Wyomings neck, no matter how many people live there, just as Wyoming by itself should not be able to tip the entire country in one direction or another.

I live in Canada, I've seen what mob rule (two wolves and a sheep arguing about what to have for dinner) can do to a country. In Canada, popular vote drives everything, resulting in two provinces out of eleven that have a real say in any and everything. Even worse, we have five political parties, so you can form a government with just over 20% of the popular vote. Our Senate is a pack of old geezers and hacks who are unelected and will rubber stamp anything, our head of state is technically the Queen and the leader of the party with the most votes/seats, or the leader of party who can cobble together the largest coalition, forms the Government.

Imagine if the US switched to popular vote and there were three, four or even five parties - the only reason it seems to make sense to some *right now* is that you (usually) only have two parties and it *seems* fair that whichever one gets the most votes should elect the President. But, if you lived Wyoming, your vote would be completely swamped by four or five of the largest states.

The USA has at least some checks and balances across the three branches of government, the electoral college and the Supreme Courts.

Many here seem to despise Trump, so imagine what he (or some future President) could do with the absolute power of the mob behind him, where "51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%" as the cliche goes.

Last edited:
I believe Barra is a EE unless the MBA supersedes the engineering degree.

The three phases of a start up are descriptive but I believe the third stage has moved away from a numbers driven endeavor to a value extraction endeavor and thus my comments about the term beancounter.

True she did come from the engineering side and she has shown signs she knows the world is going electric, but the company as a whole has been slow to electrify their fleet. I just looked at GM's other VPs. There are some people who come out of engineering, but there are a lot of people who are basically professional managers.

While the US political system has its problems, it *is* a republic of States, so it makes a certain amount of sense that States rights are recognised via a senate and the electoral college. New York should not be able to step on Wyomings neck, no matter how many people live there, just as Wyoming by itself should not be able to tip the entire country in one direction or another.

I live in Canada, I've seen what mob rule (two wolves and a sheep arguing about what to have for dinner) can do to a country. In Canada, popular vote drives everything, resulting in two provinces out of eleven that have a real say in any and everything. Even worse, we have five political parties, so you can form a government with just over 20% of the popular vote. Our Senate is a pack of old geezers and hacks who are unelected and will rubber stamp anything, our head of state is technically the Queen and the leader of the party with the most votes/seats, or the leader of party who can cobble together the largest coalition, forms the Government.

Imagine if the US switched to popular vote and there were three, four or even five parties - the only reason it seems to make sense to some *right now* is that you (usually) only have two parties and it *seems* fair that whichever one gets the most votes should elect the President. But, if you lived Wyoming, your vote would be completely swamped by four or five of the largest states.

The USA has at least some checks and balances across the three branches of government, the electoral college and the Supreme Courts.

Many here seem to despise Trump, so imagine what he (or some future President) could do with the absolute power of the mob behind him, where "51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%" as the cliche goes.

I understand @neroden 's frustration with the Senate. It can be maddening at times when other branches of the government are heading in a direction I want it to go, but on the other hand there have been times when I've been happy that the Senate was able to hold the line when the House and presidency wanted to do some loony things (such as when GW was in power).

Ultimately the biggest problems with US politics is the constant battle between cultures. It's detailed in American Nations which describes the cultures of North America (Canada and the US with only some coverage of the culture that overlaps northern Mexico into the US). Some of the cultures get along well with one another, but others have been in deep conflict since the colonial days.

The US Civil War was fought over slavery, but it was also the culture war brought to a head. The culture war has brewed up again and the US is just as divided now as it was during the 1850s. Even without slavery, the Deep South has very different views about how to run the country than the Yankees of New England.

The parties the two sides adhere to have flipped, for much of the history of the country the South was the base of the Democrats and New England was the base of the Republicans, but that has now flipped with the core of the Republicans being the same Southerners and most of the New England Yankee Republicans are now movers and shakers in the Democratic party. There are still some old school Democrats and Republicans. Bill Weld was a successful Republican governor of Massachusetts because he's more like the Republicans were 50 years ago than a modern Republican.

Appalachia has more in common with the Deep South than any other culture, so they often ally with the Deep South and those two cultures combined with the libertarian interior Western Republicans make up the Republican coalition.

I think these culture clashes are at the heart of why most blue state Americans like Canada a lot, but most Canadians aren't all that enamored of their neighbors. The divide also has a similar dynamic to the New Zealand/Australian divide. I recently heard an Aussie explain it. Australia is the larger country and gets much more attention on the world stage. There are several prominent world maps that left New Zealand off the map entirely. New Zealand has been more socially responsible than Australia and like two siblings, they resent the more oafish sibling who still manages to be the most popular kid in school. While the "good kid" gets ignored.

But the cultural mix also plays into it too. All the US cultures that border Canada overlap the border, so those of us in those cultures see similarity across the border. Most people, even Americans don't see the sub-cultures in the US and they see the politics of Appalachia and the South and wonder what's wrong with the US.

Letting those who want to go off and create their own country would solve a lot of the US's political problems. The remaining states would become a lot more like English speaking Canada almost overnight, but a lot of innocent people would end up stuck in a Handmaid's Tale dystopia. I expect some states would leave, but then come crawling back when they realized their new country was a banana republic. I would expect this the most in the interior western states who have been bamboozled into going along with the Southern agenda.

Reactions: jdw
I
Yet in the last election a small collection of similar states did just that. If a handful of states will skew an election it should at least be the most populous, to closer represent the majority of the population.

If the geographical size of the country was fairly small and if the population of the country was mostly homogenous, then sure. I would almost agree. But in a large country with diverse populations, it is just as important to ensure that what state you live in does not determine if your vote counts or not. I don't think that 4 or 5 states should be able to elect a President by themselves - *that* would probably lead to a civil war or separation at some point.

Also, Trump won more than a handful of states. He won 29 states electoral votes; the popular vote was quite close ( Clinton: 59,739,748 to Trump: 59,521,401). There are regional imbalances as well - Trump won 2,626 counties to Clintons 487. Obviously the ones that Clinton won had a lot more people in them ...

Anyway, my point is that in a large diverse country, people all around the country need a voice, not just the people in densely populated urban areas or states.

Most countries with strictly popular vote governments seem to suffer from revolutions/separations and civil wars. I think that the fact that the US has a house elected by population and a senate elected by states and a President elected by a combination of the two has been a big factor in the success and stability of the country.

The potential for conflict is evident in how well the House and the Senate work together on so many issues.
/s

Last edited:
And America has had a Civil War on simmer for centuries, with a few years where it was a declared war.

Right now, if you live in a red state and vote Democrat, your vote is entirely meaningless. If you live in a blue state and vote Republican, your vote is entirely meaningless.

In the current system, the only states where your votes really count are the swing states, not the big states, and those are the states with a roughly even divide between urban and rural areas. A presidential candidate doesn't have to campaign for the general in California or Wyoming. Their votes don't matter, they know the outcomes there. It's Ohio where they campaign. It's Florida where they campaign. Etc., etc.

Really, what you're proposing is that land should vote, not people, but America is supposed to be by, of, and for the people, not the land.

My own focus would be transitioning the House to a proportional list system, before touching the Senate - that is, everyone votes for what party they want in the House, and then each party is awarded seats proportional to their vote share. (There's various ways to build the list that fills the seats - my own preferred method is that each state selects up to nine candidates in the party primary, and then the states' vote shares for that party determine the order that state lists are drawn from, one seat per state, wrapping around every 50 seats filled to the highest vote share state again. That gives you state representation (through the order in which seats are filled) while still ultimately representing the people.)

• Love
Reactions: Cobos and neroden
I

If the geographical size of the country was fairly small and if the population of the country was mostly homogenous, then sure. I would almost agree. But in a large country with diverse populations, it is just as important to ensure that what state you live in does not determine if your vote counts or not. I don't think that 4 or 5 states should be able to elect a President by themselves - *that* would probably lead to a civil war or separation at some point.

Also, Trump won more than a handful of states. He won 29 states electoral votes; the popular vote was quite close ( Clinton: 59,739,748 to Trump: 59,521,401). There are regional imbalances as well - Trump won 2,626 counties to Clintons 487. Obviously the ones that Clinton won had a lot more people in them ...

Anyway, my point is that in a large diverse country, people all around the country need a voice, not just the people in densely populated urban areas or states.

Most countries with strictly popular vote governments seem to suffer from revolutions/separations and civil wars. I think that the fact that the US has a house elected by population and a senate elected by states and a President elected by a combination of the two has been a big factor in the success and stability of the country.

The potential for conflict is evident in how well the House and the Senate work together on so many issues.
/s

Not sure where you got your stats from, but the difference was much greater than that, Hillary got almost 3 million more votes: 2016 United States presidential election - Wikipedia

Also, you have a serious case of "grass-is-greener-on-the-other-side", because I would rather lose to the 51% majority, than to lose to the 46% minority, which could've ONLY happened under the current electoral college system.

Edit: oh, and the wolf and sheep dinner thing is pure rhetorical BS. We're not cannibals. Losing control of government doesn't mean you lose your life/livelihood. That analogy is pure FUD. And many have used such lines to fool the sheeple to voting against their own interests.

I

/s

Actually the popular vote gap was bigger. Hillary got 65.8 million and Trump got just shy of 63 million. This site is a good place for data on elections:
Dave Leip's Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections

The only caveat is the guy who put together than site swaps the colors for Republicans and Democrats.

The system was skewed from the start to help the smaller population Southern states and not allow them to get overwhelmed by the larger population northern states. The 3/5 compromise where slaves were counted as 3/5 of a person was one of them. That has been eliminated, but the other factors put in place are still there, like skewing the electoral college to help smaller population states.

The problem is that nobody has found a perfect system for democracies. All have pluses and minuses.

The US has many weaknesses in the system. Trump and the Republicans have exploited many of them and continues to exploit them.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
"Fix" the system so a large percentage of the population can not do something as stupid as Trump again and a large percentage of the population will find another way to do something as stupid as Trump.

The problem is not the system, it is the people. We are evolving into a banana republic. The question for me is can the trend be reversed?

Actually the popular vote gap was bigger. Hillary got 65.8 million and Trump got just shy of 63 million. [snip]

The problem is that nobody has found a perfect system for democracies. All have pluses and minuses.
[snip]

I should have just gone to Wikipedia for the numbers ...at any rate, as a Canadian, I was pointing out that the US has one of the best systems of Government ever devised and from my point of view, I would be reluctant to dismantle it based on the results of one or two elections, even though, as you say, it's not perfect. Also, when just over 50% bother to vote, that is an even larger "disenfranchisement" than any monkey business with the electoral college.

Some of the just under 50% not "bothering" to vote are unable to vote, though - work schedules conflicting with voting (and when you can be fired for any reason, even laws preventing someone from being fired for voting are ineffective, because they can just make up a reason), polling places being closed such that there's long lines to vote (an actual problem especially in black districts in red states), etc., etc.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
I

If the geographical size of the country was fairly small and if the population of the country was mostly homogenous, then sure. I would almost agree. But in a large country with diverse populations, it is just as important to ensure that what state you live in does not determine if your vote counts or not.

That is what happens right now. Our votes in NY, California, and Texas are worthless because we are "safe states". 4 or 5 swing states decide the election.

I don't think that 4 or 5 states should be able to elect a President by themselves - *that* would probably lead to a civil war or separation at some point.
That is what is happening right now. That is why there will be a civil war or NY and California will secede, unless democracy is restored with a National Popular Vote Intetrstste Compact.

The idiotic Electoral College has one member per House representative plus one per Senator; the Founders created it along with the disastrous Senate because they had the Senate and the pro-Senate Connecticut group wanted it to be like the Senate. The so called Great Compromise which created the Senate worked temporarily. It has now failed. It must be fixed.

The Senate does not do that. The House does. Upstate NY has House reepresentaion, and no Senate representation, for example. The Rio Grand region of Texas has House representation and no Senate representation. The Central Valley of California has House representation and no Senate representation.

Each state is guaranteed one House member. That is sufficient. The Senate is just a venue for abuse and undemocratic tyrrany.

Even when the Senate has blocked what I thought was bad legislation, I think it was bad. People did not get to see how awful GWB was because his worst plans were filibustered. Had they seen them implemented, I think he would not have been reelected.

st countries with strictly popular vote governments seem to suffer from revolutions/separations and civil wars. I think that the fact that the US has a house elected by population and a senate elected by states and a President elected by a combination of the two has been a big factor in the success and stability of the country.
That is because you have never studied history. You are wrong!

They have actually done studies on which forms of government are more stable and less prone to coups and civil wars. Parliamentary systems like the UK are better than Presidential systems like the US... A lot better. EVERY other Presidential system has collapsed into dictatorship in less than 100 years, no exceptions. Every one modeled on the US has failed.

The US system failed too, during the Civil War... Britain abolished slavery without such a war. Actually it failed under Andrew Jackson as well, who ignored the Supreme Court to commit genocide against the Cherokee. The US system nearly failed again in the Great Depression, though FDR threatening Congress with unilateral dictatorship (yes, he did) was enough to make the Senate cooperate, and he did something similar by threatening the Supreme Court with expansion. Similar things have been necessary in UK history but always to address a deficit of democracy (like the House of Lords obstructing things).

Proportial representation parliaments (such as Germany, Ireland, Scotland, India) are even more durable than single member district first past the post parliaments like the UK and Canada.

If you really want to represent everyone you need proportional representation.

/s

Oh, sorry, I thought you were serious and responded before seeing the sarcasm tag! You got me. :)

I should have just gone to Wikipedia for the numbers ...at any rate, as a Canadian, I was pointing out that the US has one of the best systems of Government ever devised

It really really does not. It is so bad that US experts on government design, in the 1950s and 1960s, advising newly decolonized countries on their Constitutiona, said "Use a proportional representation Parliamentary system and definitely, whatever you do, do NOT have anything based on the US Senate".

d from my point of view, I would be reluctant to dismantle it based on the results of one or two elections, even though, as you say, it's not perfect.

The US system has failed repeatedly.. Jefferson turned it into a one party system, successfully. Jackson made it a dictatorship. Van Buren backed off on that, and then the country dithered its way into the Civil War for the next few decades, using the creation of new states to gerrymander the Senate. The Confederates walked out and the Senate worked for a couple of years. The systemic defects meant that once the Senate was fully populated again, and with that criminal Taney having a lifetime Court seat, the system caused Jim Crow and the KKK to thrive. The fixed term of the President meant the Great depression dragged on because it started just after Hoover was elected but nobody could get rid of Hoover for 4 years. FDR had to threaten both Congress and the Court to pass basic emergency legislation... He was ready to do it without legislation and without court approval because it was necessary.

This is a broken system, even before two Presidential elections were stolen.

Reactions: Mader Levap
Given the polarity in our country at this time, and especially the polarity in our elected officials, I think there is about a 0% chance of fixing our election processes without it being just a partisan exercise to try to help their own party as opposed to trying to help the country.

The reason the electoral college was created was to prevent a handful of large states from overwhelming the remainder of the states. In the last presidential election, Hillary Clinton won the popular vote in California, while Donald Trump won the total combined popular vote in the rest of the country. No coincidence that the calls I hear for eliminating the electoral "to make the presidential election more representative of the votes of the people" are primarily from Californians and New Yorkers. Such a change would obviously shift power to California and NY (and a handful of other states) and would obviously help democratic candidates at the expense of republicans.

Similar for the calls to eliminate the senate. Same reason and same result.

Generating much less noise is the idea of making the House of Representatives more representative of the votes of the people. Similar to breaking the countries voters up by state in the electoral college, we break states up by district which also skews the election results from the votes, so what's good for the goose should be good for the gander. In California, the democratic party got 65.3% of the votes for representatives, but have 86.8% of the representatives (46 to 7), a proportional system would shift 11 of those seats to republican. In New York, the democratic party got 66.2% of the votes for representatives, but have 77.8% of the representatives (21 to 6), a proportional system would shift 3 of those seats to republican. Those two shifts would change the House from a 40 seat Democratic advantage (236 to 196) down to only a 12 seat advantage (222 to 210). I don't know how it would play out through the rest of the country, but I guarantee that the elected officials who would change the rules would be 100% aware of the impact to their own party, and we would see 100% in favor by the benefiting party (who would tout is as being a more method) and 0% in favor by the harmed party (who would portray it as a simple power grab).

So at some point we need to say that though not perfect, we have a system that has been working for 240 years, and our ability to fix it in a fair, non-partisan manner doesn't really exist, so we should probably just leave well enough alone. If you don't win the game, you have to play better, not change the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.