Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly, yes, Biden will happily take Koch money.

I fear Biden is a terrible opponent to put up against Trump. If Hillary lost to Trump, Biden will lose to Trump as well.

Voters need to be fired up, I am sure Bernie or Warren would be better choices. Think about who would absolutely roast Trump in a debate? Bernie, Warren, Harris? Any of these three would cream Trump in a debate. Biden? No, not so much.

History sometimes repeats, but you have to look at the underlying patterns. The political landscape in the US is very different from 2016. Obama's political policies were relatively popular. Both Hillary and Biden are in the same camp as Obama. In isolation, the majority of Americans at least find Hillary's politics acceptable on most issues, but policy doesn't sway all voters. With low information, low education voters tone sells far better than policy and Trump has the tone white, poorly educated Americans wanted to hear.

I forced myself to listen to a Trump speech twice. The first time I listened to the words (as I normally do with these things) and he came across as an incoherent idiot. But then I listened again and just paid attention to the cues he was putting off. I listened like I would to a speech in another language. Trump sounded confident, certain, powerful. People who truly think tend to pause a lot when talking off the cuff. You see it in Elon as well as Barack Obama. Trump never does. When he makes a verbal error he plows on with the attitude that he meant to say that. To people who are listening to the words, it's further evidence that he's nuts, but to those who aren't listening to the words, he sounds very certain.

Poorly educated whites in this country have seen their fortunes decline since the 1980s and while other groups who have seen difficult times have gotten attention, whites have been told to suck it up. The term "white privilege" really riles them up because they certainly don't feel any privilege. Trump came along and promised them the hail Mary pass to put them at least back in the game and they took it.

Hillary Clinton is not a likeable person, so while lots of people were willing to vote for her, few did so with any enthusiasm. Bill Maher talked about her early slogan "are you ready for Hillary" as "yes, the same way I'm ready for a vaccine. I don't want it, but let's get it over with."

Interference by the Russians sowed dissent on the left that drove off some people who would have voted for Hillary. Republican interference in many states kept turnout down among populations that heavily vote Democratic (the Detroit area in Michigan had an unusually low turnout thanks to Republican interference). The Democrats had a candidate nobody really liked and the Republicans had a buffoon nobody thought would win. A lot of people didn't vote or did a protest vote because they figured Hillary was going to win.

A lot of people thought Trump wouldn't be that bad, but then he turned out to be awful in just about every way.

Rick Wilson who knows a lot about how elections work has made the point that there is a large cadre of voters who will crawl over broken glass to vote against Donald Trump and that did not exist at all in 2016. I've been watching polls and looking at the details that aren't reported in the top line poll results. Many polls ask people how likely they are to vote for Donald Trump in 2020. Pretty consistently 52-54% say they will definitely under no circumstances vote for Donald Trump.

News leaked this week that Trump's campaign did an internal poll in 17 states Trump must win and found he was losing in 14 of them, some by big margins. His campaign is looking for other states to open up fronts. They are hoping to shift from the upper Midwest strategy to a Colorado/New Mexico strategy, but that's pretty remote. Both states have fairly large Hispanic populations and both have been fairly consistent Democratic states the last few election cycles.

Trump remains popular among Republicans, but the Republican party has become a cult and has shrunk a lot since 2016. Among independents, Trump is not popular and his stock is shrinking fast.

Trump and his campaign are especially afraid of Biden because Biden appeals the most to the swing state voters. He can appeal to working class whites the same way Bill Clinton did. Just about anybody but Biden is more popular among the Democratic hopefuls in the blue states, but those states will be won by just about any Democratic nominee. In most swing states some other Democrats poll decently, but Biden polls the strongest.

There is a difference between the Democratic insiders and the rest of the population who vote Democratic. A lot of minority Democrats are socially more conservative than the more vocal Democrats on social media. At this point someone familiar and isn't promising any wild changes is comforting to Democratic leaning voters who have PTSD from the Trump administration. A lot of people in the middle don't want sweeping new changes right now, they want government that's sane and predictable and at honest sometimes again.

The recent fires on oil tankers east of Oman are definitely bad news. The US is blaming Iran, with absolutely zero evidence. Iran has stated flatly that they didn't do it, and that they are being framed, and Iran is certainly telling the truth: they had no motivation.'

The country which did have motivation is Saudi Arabia. They need to raise the oil price by scaring oil markets. And they have been picking a stupid and unnecessary fight with Iran for nutty reasons for years, so they have a motivation to frame Iran. Plus they want to distract the US from their murder of journalists.

Cicero always said, in detective work, "Who benefits?" Saudi Arabia is the only country which benefits, and it benefits in numerous ways. It also had means and opportunity, in addition to motive.

Saudi Arabia fired at those ships -- count on it.

I think this is a sign that Saudi Arabia is even more unstable than I thought, and I thought it was extremely unstable. Rumor has it that Kashoggi was murdered because he was going to reveal documents showing that the Saudis had smaller oil reserves than they claimed (something which many many people suspected already). Now, the Saudis have resorted to shooting at their own, and UAE, tankers in order to try to drive the oil price up. These are moves of total desperation.

Already, they stopped being able to borrow in their own currency, and now they have trouble borrowing in dollars. Foreign firms now demand a large risk premium to work in Saudi Arabia, which is why the UAE can build big solar farms cheaply, and Saudi Arabia can't get them built at all. MBS has trapped the country in an unwinnable guerrilla war in Yemen for no obvious reason -- and while he's committing war crimes, the Yemenis are able to lob rockets at Riyadh, showing his total ineffectiveness. Attempts to raise taxes have not balanced the budget, but have caused more people to demand a voice in the government. Rumors have it that the Saudis can't balance their budget unless the oil price goes up signficantly.

This is on top of the long-festering conflicts between the Wahhabi religious theocracy leadership and the Royal Family, between the Shia population of the oil producing district and the Sunnis running the country, between the "guest workers" and the Saudi nationals, between the bored Saudi nationals and the royal family, between the bored Saudi nationals and the Wahhabi leadership, between the oppressed women and the male leadership, between the forces calling for civil society and the royals, between the forces calling for civil society and the Wahhabis, etc. etc. It's been a tinder keg for a long time.

But now I really think it's on the verge of utter, total collapse. Could collapse literally any day now.

Hopefully the US will avoid getting into an idiotic war with Iran based on a Saudi false-flag attack.

As others have said, I don't think Saudi Arabia is the only player who wants a US-Iranian war. The Israelis have had a secret alliance with SA for several years now. The Iranians have given at least some help to the regime in Syria and Hezbola and the Israelis would like to see Iran taken out.

The Sunni/Shia fight has been going on since Mohamed died and Iran and Saudi Arabia are the hubs of those two sects. But most of the Sunni countries are aligned with SA in their hatred of Iran, though most aren't willing to do anything about it.

The oil price theory is a possibility. A friend in the oil biz pointed out over 10 years ago that Saudi Arabia was showing all the signs of running out of the easy to produce oil and they were making moves to start secondary production techniques.

Another player in all this who stands to benefit from higher oil prices is Russia. Russia is in financial crisis because of the corruption combined with low oil prices. Russia is also paranoid and does not want the US to have any more presence on it's doorstep, but it would be a win-win for Putin if the US and Iran got into a devastating war that weakened both countries.

The Saudis have have had a hand in the tanker attacks, but it's possible the Mossad did the wet-work.

It's all speculation, but whenever you look at these things, you have to look at motive. Only a leader as nuts and stupid as Trump would attack tankers in the Gulf in the position Iran is in now. And while the country is run by religious zealots, they have not demonstrated any extreme craziness in statecraft, nor stupidity.

Pompeo came out and definitively said it was Iran without producing any proof along with claims that Iran was behind many other attacks in the region, many of which were definitively determined to be someone else. There is a very clear move on the part of this administration to start a war.

It would be incredibly stupid for the US. The US military is not prepared for any conflict right now. Because the Iraq and Afghanistan wars lasted so much longer than planned and US carriers had to be on station much longer than expected, the entire fleet got worn out. Half the US carrier fleet is down for maintenance right now.

The US has made a lot of noise about the USS Abraham Lincoln heading to the Gulf, but that's actually a smaller presence than the US has had in the region for most of the last 30 years. Since the first Gulf war in 1991 there has been at least 1 US carrier group near the Persian Gulf at all times. It's notable that because of the shortage of carriers, the Gulf was left uncovered for about a month when the Stennis left station before the Lincoln arrived.

The US Army has consistently fallen short on its recruitment goals for the last several years. People don't want to get blown up in a pointless war in Afghanistan. That means the Army is understaffed by about 50,000 troops now. That's about 10% under-strength. The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq have bled the Army dry. They are a spent force that should be rebuilding right now.

Even at full strength the Army is not strong enough to take on Iran. The rule of thumb for occupations is 20 troops per 1000 population if there is no active resistance. All but 1 successful occupation in the last century was at least that level (Japan after WW II was the exception). To occupy Iran would require around 1.6 million troops (Iran's population is 81 million). More then 3X the size of the budgeted US Army.

Trying to go in with fewer troops would be a repeat of the Iraq invasion with a much larger, much better prepared, and much better motivated enemy. Iran has three ethnic groups that should never be sharing a country and the US was able to exploit those divisions. Iran doesn't have those internal divisions. The religious zealots running the country aren't popular, but few want an outside invader to topple the regime and would fight an invasion.

A US invasion of Iran would see some initial success, but would probably go pear shaped fairly quickly.

I do agree with you that Saudi Arabia's fault lines are showing too. The Whabist/House of Saud alliance was always one of convenience. And other forces are coming into play now. Yemen has become Saudi Arabia's Vietnam. They can't win and they can't figure out how to end it.

Sigh...I'm not going to defend Saudi Arabia but I also wouldn't jump to that conclusion based only upon public information. It's absolutely false that only the Saudis benefit from this. It could have been Russia for example. I wouldn't 100% exclude U.S. based interests either. I would hope it's not the U.S. but it would be false to say this doesn't benefit plenty of American companies whose cost of production is teetering on the edge of profitability. Still, Russia and Saudia Arabia are the most likely but we don't have enough information to say with any certainty.

I don't know who it was, it may have been multiple players working together, but the least likely candidate is Iran.

OT

Well, if you believe the truth isn't worth defending then you have a point. But, of course, that's exactly the problem we're facing with news regarding Tesla -- tons of garbage out there that needs debunking. 500+ tweets wouldn't even begin to cover it. In the matter of the Trump crime family and the theft and debasement of the US presidency, Seth Abramson is the go to guy. He has all the facts at his fingertips and the legal and journalistic experience to make sense of it all.

Any individual can be right sometimes and wrong others, so I don't know about this particular case, but my SO has been following Abramson for close to 2 years because his legal analysis of the Trump situation has been spot on. She's an attorney too and has been sorting the proverbial wheat from chaff of legal arguments about what's been going on. She regards his analysis near the top of the pack.

I'd like to see his analysis backing up his claim it was the UAE, but he will probably make his case soon if he hasn't already.

I don't look at Twitter much, I find it an annoying format to try and follow. It, like many social media platforms, are designed for short pithy remarks rather than in depth analysis. Abramson has made it work for him with multiple posts on a topic, but it makes it hard to read IMO.

Plus any democrat that can do math and has a fiscal 'conservative' streak. Daycare and free college for the masses would hit the top couple of tax brackets pretty hard. Not even sure the others could simultaneously fund all their pet projects plus massive investment in an energy transformation and infrastructure needed to adapt to a warming world. What do you think more moderates would care about, subsidizing daycare and letting the 40% of people who go to college do it for free, or just, you know, having a livable planet so there can still be daycare centers and universities left.

You didn't, did you?
You just touched the third rail.
You are actually talking about thinking through problems and doing sensible things. My friend, this is a tribal forum. There is ABSOLUTELY no place for that kind of hate speech here (or on the MB forum that takes a hard Trump position).

Plus any democrat that can do math and has a fiscal 'conservative' streak. Daycare and free college for the masses would hit the top couple of tax brackets pretty hard. Not even sure the others could simultaneously fund all their pet projects plus massive investment in an energy transformation and infrastructure needed to adapt to a warming world. What do you think more moderates would care about, subsidizing daycare and letting the 40% of people who go to college do it for free, or just, you know, having a livable planet so there can still be daycare centers and universities left.

There is old fashioned fiscal conservatism and there is the insane version Republicans have adopted. The old fashioned fiscal conservatives just want government programs paid for out of income unless it's some kind of emergency. If taxes need to go up and there is a real benefit to society, then it's worth it.

We don need to do something about college costs. People with a college degree tend to make more than people without. And in a sane tax structure, people who make more money pay more taxes. So the government helping people get a college degree is actually an investment that pays off with more tax revenue down the road (as long as the system is set up fairly).

Also trickle up economics has been proven to work. The poorer someone is, the faster they are going to spend money that falls in their pocket, mostly on necessities. That goes into the economy directly and has a multiplying effect as it goes from one pocket to another. It both generates economic activity as well as generates tax revenue.

Too much capital right now is focused on just making piles bigger on paper without actually benefiting anybody but a handful of people. In a healthy economy money circulates between the poorest and the richest back and first. Too little of that is happening right now.

Reactions: neroden and JRP3
Frankly, some of this can be subsidized by printing money to pay for it.

If a subsidy creates value equivalent to the money printed, printing money doesn't cause inflationary effects.

That said, there's also room for hack-and-slash in things like universities and parts of medicine that are so woefully inefficient. (Note that a government single-payer program is a monopsony and, as such, has market powers to bring about such hack-and-slash.)

And, re: daycare benefits, I personally see a carefully-designed universal basic income system as potentially producing better outcomes. (I see daycare benefits as solving a symptom, not a problem - in some cases it really is needed, but the working patterns that daycare usage promotes will just, later in the kid's life, create a latchkey kid. With a carefully-designed UBI, for instance, two-parent families can more practically have a parent stay at home to raise the kid(s), and even single-parent families may be able to do it.) It is important to design a UBI such that rent-seekers don't just raise prices because they know they can charge it (and force families back into having both parents working), though, and this may mean price controls and such on various things.

Also trickle up economics has been proven to work. The poorer someone is, the faster they are going to spend money that falls in their pocket, mostly on necessities. That goes into the economy directly and has a multiplying effect as it goes from one pocket to another. It both generates economic activity as well as generates tax revenue.

Too much capital right now is focused on just making piles bigger on paper without actually benefiting anybody but a handful of people. In a healthy economy money circulates between the poorest and the richest back and first. Too little of that is happening right now.

I like your post, and I'm sure we'd agree on a lot of things. The (rational) argument against this though is inflation, which no one has mentioned. If there is too much redistribution of capital downward, i.e. literally cash to people's pockets, that has an inflationary impact because as you say they spend that money, rather than invest it. Some inflation is good, say 2%, but too much is damaging.

And so... Spending has an inflationary impact, inflation results higher costs which devalues the redistributed cash, results in interest rate raises, making borrowing expensive (although it makes existing debt cheaper) which slows down capital investment at the top, which reduces employment, which pushes more people out of the economy resulting in the need to redistribute capital even further. When the state steps into this cycle, and the market loses control, that's when things go to crap. Ultimately inflation destroys your economy, makes international trade very difficult, leads to social instability and wipes out savings.

That is the classic fiscally conservative view, and it does have some economic merit in this simplistic form. The reality is, in a country that has its own central bank that can print money, taxation really doesn't have anything to do with government spending, because if the government needs money, in theory it can print it. Hello quantitative easing. Taxation is a way to ensure government spending doesn't result in inflation, as is concentrating capital into fewer and fewer hands - they have the same effect.

Conservatives are usually not honest about this (in fact many don't even understand the economics behind their own policies) but that's the argument against redistribution.

Now spending on infrastructure, or social services (free education, free healthcare, low cost housing) does not necessarily have this same inflationary effect because the benefits to the economy are broader than simply adding money to it - such as a more productive, healthier and happier population. If your population is more highly educated, you can import cheaper labor or outsource manufacturing without creating large swathes of unemployment or disenfranchisement domestically. Unfortunately both conservative and neoliberal economic policies have failed to make education more accessible and better quality for those who can't afford to pay for it.

We don need to do something about college costs.

I agree with everything in your post except not needing to do something about college costs. Student loan debt is up to 1.5 trillion and
the average annual increase in college tuition from 1980-2014 grew by nearly 260% compared to the nearly 120% increase in all consumer items. If we explore legitimate drivers of college tuition cost increases, I would expect we'd find good reasons for the increase rate to be higher than cpi. But I'm skeptical we'd find good reasons for 260%. I think we'd find much of that is empire building and competing for the 1% student population.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/55ad089e371d22dc0b8b6ee1-480-320.png

Reactions: bobinfla
I just want for record to say it is one of most delusional statements that I have seen in a while.

It's interesting that some Canadians and some Americans have a grass is always greener view across the border. A fair number of Americans, especially in blue states wishes the US was more like Canada, while the rest don't know and don't care Canada exists for the most part. Canadians tend to either be indignant with being lumped together with Americans (we do share a continent called North America, so technically they are in the same sense that Germans and French are Europeans). But some Canadians look across the border and see a country that doesn't have the ills Canada has.

The problem is every system has ills of one kind or another. Humans haven't invented one that works universally.

Frankly, some of this can be subsidized by printing money to pay for it.

If a subsidy creates value equivalent to the money printed, printing money doesn't cause inflationary effects.

That said, there's also room for hack-and-slash in things like universities and parts of medicine that are so woefully inefficient. (Note that a government single-payer program is a monopsony and, as such, has market powers to bring about such hack-and-slash.)

And, re: daycare benefits, I personally see a carefully-designed universal basic income system as potentially producing better outcomes. (I see daycare benefits as solving a symptom, not a problem - in some cases it really is needed, but the working patterns that daycare usage promotes will just, later in the kid's life, create a latchkey kid. With a carefully-designed UBI, for instance, two-parent families can more practically have a parent stay at home to raise the kid(s), and even single-parent families may be able to do it.) It is important to design a UBI such that rent-seekers don't just raise prices because they know they can charge it (and force families back into having both parents working), though, and this may mean price controls and such on various things.

If you want to learn more about UBI, I suggest the book Utopia for Realists. For many things it's a heck of a lot cheaper to just give people the money and let them pay for what they need than create a government bureaucracy to provide services and monitor that people are using it correctly.

A government just printing money has drawbacks too. The countries that get into runaway inflation are the ones that issue more money than the economy can pay back out of growth. It's happening in Venezuela now and has happened in many countries. It probably should have happened in the US, but the world scrambles to absorb the US's debt to keep the price of oil from going wobbly. As long as oil is traded in US dollars, the world will prop up the US dollar.

My understanding is that free college would only apply to less expensive colleges, not overpriced bloated universities.

Incentives to pay for university could include pricing guidelines and only schools that fit the guidelines get students' tuition paid. Some universities would become exclusive, super expensive, but most would comply.

I like your post, and I'm sure we'd agree on a lot of things. The (rational) argument against this though is inflation, which no one has mentioned. If there is too much redistribution of capital downward, i.e. literally cash to people's pockets, that has an inflationary impact because as you say they spend that money, rather than invest it. Some inflation is good, say 2%, but too much is damaging.

And so... Spending has an inflationary impact, inflation results higher costs which devalues the redistributed cash, results in interest rate raises, making borrowing expensive (although it makes existing debt cheaper) which slows down capital investment at the top, which reduces employment, which pushes more people out of the economy resulting in the need to redistribute capital even further. When the state steps into this cycle, and the market loses control, that's when things go to crap. Ultimately inflation destroys your economy, makes international trade very difficult, leads to social instability and wipes out savings.

That is the classic fiscally conservative view, and it does have some economic merit in this simplistic form. The reality is, in a country that has its own central bank that can print money, taxation really doesn't have anything to do with government spending, because if the government needs money, in theory it can print it. Hello quantitative easing. Taxation is a way to ensure government spending doesn't result in inflation, as is concentrating capital into fewer and fewer hands - they have the same effect.

Conservatives are usually not honest about this (in fact many don't even understand the economics behind their own policies) but that's the argument against redistribution.

Now spending on infrastructure, or social services (free education, free healthcare, low cost housing) does not necessarily have this same inflationary effect because the benefits to the economy are broader than simply adding money to it - such as a more productive, healthier and happier population. If your population is more highly educated, you can import cheaper labor or outsource manufacturing without creating large swathes of unemployment or disenfranchisement domestically. Unfortunately both conservative and neoliberal economic policies have failed to make education more accessible and better quality for those who can't afford to pay for it.

With most things people argue about there is a happy medium between the extremes the arguers want. When you find that sweet spot and stay there, you get the most happiness in the public, healthiest economy, etc. But one faction or another always thinks that if two Tylenol dealt with the headache, a whole bottle would be better and want to go to the opposite extreme.

Throughout history when capital has been as concentrated in as few hands as it is right now, it has never turned out well. It results in either a feudal system or a revolution if steps aren't taken by the government to reverse the situation. Always.

Government taxation to prevent runaway inflation is a healthier thing to the economy over the long run. People always grumble about taxes, but if most of the taxes are going back into things that benefit the public rather than things that just line a few pockets, people are less angry about paying taxes in the end. The Scandinavian countries have very high taxes, but also a very extensive social support system and those countries report the highest happiness levels on Earth.

I agree with everything in your post except not needing to do something about college costs. Student loan debt is up to 1.5 trillion and
the average annual increase in college tuition from 1980-2014 grew by nearly 260% compared to the nearly 120% increase in all consumer items. If we explore legitimate drivers of college tuition cost increases, I would expect we'd find good reasons for the increase rate to be higher than cpi. But I'm skeptical we'd find good reasons for 260%. I think we'd find much of that is empire building and competing for the 1% student population.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/55ad089e371d22dc0b8b6ee1-480-320.png

It was a typo, there was an extra 'n' rather than a missing apostrophe 't'.

Up thread somewhere I suggested we have a system that identifies college majors the economy needs and heavily subsidize those majors. For jobs that the economy doesn't need, give less or no incentive. For someone who has STEM talents and is thinking about a Wall Street career or a career in the sciences or engineering, too many are opting for the Wall Street path. They make millions if not billions, but the rest of the economy is hurt in the end. Instead if they are dedicating those talents to developing new technologies, everyone benefits.

If someone contemplating a college major saw that a Business degree cost $50K but an engineering degree cost $0, more people would opt for the engineering degree.

I think "don" was an unfortunate typo, "do need" was probably intended.

Yup it was.

Sigh...I'm not going to defend Saudi Arabia but I also wouldn't jump to that conclusion based only upon public information. It's absolutely false that only the Saudis benefit from this. It could have been Russia for example.

I don't really see how Russia benefits. Russia is currently treating Iran as a client state -- while Iran is bristling at this, they're definitely more in the Russian sphere of influence -- and they're happy to sell their oil to Russia at less than world-market prices. Also, the Saudis have means and opportunity, and the Russians have much less. While there are many interests which benefit from boosting the oil price by scaring the markets, most of them *don't* want to start an Iranian war. Russia doesn't want the US mucking about in Iran, because that prevents Russia from pursuing its sphere-of-influence interests in Iran without risking direct conflict with the US, and even Putin doesn't want World War III.

The most interesting news IMO: Iran's government has announced that they're considering removing any expectations of oil revenue from their budget, and running the government on the assumption that they won't sell any oil. Because there are some *wise and intelligent* people in the Iranian government, and it's a *real nation-state* (unlike Saudi Arabia, which is a warlord's collection of conquered territories) with a *real economy* (unlike Saudi Arabia).

I wouldn't 100% exclude U.S. based interests either. I would hope it's not the U.S. but it would be false to say this doesn't benefit plenty of American companies whose cost of production is teetering on the edge of profitability.
Oh, ****, of course you're right, there are US interests which have motive, means and opportunity too. :-(

Still, Russia and Saudia Arabia are the most likely but we don't have enough information to say with any certainty.

Yeah. Of course it could be the actions of some totally unrelated crazy group whose motivations make no sense at all -- Peruvian Maoists or something. You never know.

Or just accidents, like the boiler explosion on the USS Maine probably was -- the one used as an excuse to start the Spanish-American War. Two simultaneous accidents seems unlikely though.

The thing is, we are *never* going to get an honest investigation, since it's in the hands of Saudi Arabia. Unless the UAE investigates, perhaps (not that they are trustworthy, but they would be hurt by a war with Iran so they are a much less likely suspect). With no actual ability to look at the circumstancial evidence, we're left with motive, means, and opportunity.

We can't know for sure but if I were the World Police I'd immediately arrest MBS.

Seth Abramson believes the tanker strikes are a UAE false flag op.
Seth Abramson on Twitter

It could be. But Saudi Arabia's much more likely. Here's why:
-- the UAE are run by savvy merchant princes who *avoid wars*. They have maneuvered to not be involved in wars repeatedly. Wars are bad for trade, and the royal families of the UAE have been making their money off of trade for literally thousands of years, and they think like merchants. The LAST thing they want is interdictions and shutdowns in the Gulf maritime traffic, or the airspace. By contrast, the Saudis think like warlords, being founded by a warlord.
-- While officially in the Saudi camp, the UAE have for decades maintained friendly back channels with Iran. The portion of Saudi Arabia adjacent to the UAE consists of the "Empty Quarter" and the area filled with disgruntled Shia -- the Saudis themselves are way off to the west. The UAE have never been entirely friendly with their hostile, warlord neighbor, the upstart Saudis; it has always been more like appeasement than a true alliance of interests. The attitude of the Saudis is that of a country which might invade the UAE at any time (like they invaded Yemen). Iran is the UAE's much closer neighbor and has been on essentially good terms with them for longer than Saudi Arabia has existed; and the UAE princes know that it is no threat at all, having not attacked another country in over 100 years.

Since the UAE armies are essentially mercenaries, it's also possible for the Saudis to have paid them to commit the attacks without the knowledge of the UAE merchant princes.

As others have said, I don't think Saudi Arabia is the only player who wants a US-Iranian war. The Israelis have had a secret alliance with SA for several years now. The Iranians have given at least some help to the regime in Syria and Hezbola and the Israelis would like to see Iran taken out.
This is true (the Israel-Saudi alliance has been obvious for decades) and the Iranian government has said that they suspect Israel of the attack.

Israel is also run by irrational madmen. At least MBS's behavior is rational from a certain perspective (that of a warlord trying to retain power). By contrast, the obsessive racism of the Israeli government is nuts. They celebrate every time there's more anti-Semitism anywhere in the world and ally themselves with anti-Semites, in a bizarre and deranged attempt to "prove" that Israel is the only safe place for Jewish people (thus making everywhere, including Israel, less safe for Jewish people.) Of course, Iran is a perfectly safe country for Jewish people, which is probably why Netenyahu hates it so much.

However... do you think the Israelis could really do this without Saudi approval and assistance? Israel's naval power verges on nonexistent and it has no direct physical access to the Gulf.

The oil price theory is a possibility. A friend in the oil biz pointed out over 10 years ago that Saudi Arabia was showing all the signs of running out of the easy to produce oil and they were making moves to start secondary production techniques.
There's evidence they're actually using those techniques now, though I didn't keep the references.

Another player in all this who stands to benefit from higher oil prices is Russia. Russia is in financial crisis because of the corruption combined with low oil prices. Russia is also paranoid and does not want the US to have any more presence on it's doorstep, but it would be a win-win for Putin if the US and Iran got into a devastating war that weakened both countries.
I don't think it would be really. Iran's already in Putin's orbit out of necessity; a damaged, devastated Iran would bring the US closer *and* remove what is actually a pretty reliable ally for Russia.

The Saudis have have had a hand in the tanker attacks, but it's possible the Mossad did the wet-work.
That's possible, certainly, but if so, the Saudis would have had to have helped them. The Mossad usually get caught when they're operating in a country which disapproves of their actions.

It's all speculation, but whenever you look at these things, you have to look at motive. Only a leader as nuts and stupid as Trump would attack tankers in the Gulf in the position Iran is in now. And while the country is run by religious zealots, they have not demonstrated any extreme craziness in statecraft, nor stupidity.
Iran's run by sensible people, and the UAE mostly is too. Israel *is* run by crazy people, with Netenyahu in charge. Saudi Arabia is in an impossible position so it becomes hard to identify craziness when there are no good options.

Pompeo came out and definitively said it was Iran without producing any proof along with claims that Iran was behind many other attacks in the region, many of which were definitively determined to be someone else. There is a very clear move on the part of this administration to start a war.
Yes. In my opinion, that's treason on the part of Pompeo.

It would be incredibly stupid for the US. The US military is not prepared for any conflict right now. Because the Iraq and Afghanistan wars lasted so much longer than planned and US carriers had to be on station much longer than expected, the entire fleet got worn out. Half the US carrier fleet is down for maintenance right now.

The US has made a lot of noise about the USS Abraham Lincoln heading to the Gulf, but that's actually a smaller presence than the US has had in the region for most of the last 30 years. Since the first Gulf war in 1991 there has been at least 1 US carrier group near the Persian Gulf at all times. It's notable that because of the shortage of carriers, the Gulf was left uncovered for about a month when the Stennis left station before the Lincoln arrived.

The US Army has consistently fallen short on its recruitment goals for the last several years. People don't want to get blown up in a pointless war in Afghanistan. That means the Army is understaffed by about 50,000 troops now. That's about 10% under-strength. The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq have bled the Army dry. They are a spent force that should be rebuilding right now.

Even at full strength the Army is not strong enough to take on Iran. The rule of thumb for occupations is 20 troops per 1000 population if there is no active resistance. All but 1 successful occupation in the last century was at least that level (Japan after WW II was the exception). To occupy Iran would require around 1.6 million troops (Iran's population is 81 million). More then 3X the size of the budgeted US Army.

It's also worth remembering that the US initially backed Saddam Hussein in the Iran-Iraq War. Iraq had, on paper, a better army. Saddam used prohibited chemical weapons against Iran.

Iran won.

Trying to go in with fewer troops would be a repeat of the Iraq invasion with a much larger, much better prepared, and much better motivated enemy. Iran has three ethnic groups that should never be sharing a country and the US was able to exploit those divisions. Iran doesn't have those internal divisions.
Interestingly, Iran is a multiethnic state -- much like the Switzerland-- but they all identify themselves as "Iranian first".

The religious zealots running the country aren't popular, but few want an outside invader to topple the regime and would fight an invasion.

A US invasion of Iran would see some initial success, but would probably go pear shaped fairly quickly.
Millennium Challenge 2002 suggested that half the US Navy would be sunk within a week. While it's possible that the US has changed its strategy enough to prevent this, I doubt it.

Iran has successfully downed and disassembled, and presumably reverse-engineered, US drones (which should never have been in Iranian airspace). And in addition to having top engineers they have Russian analytical support.

Geopolitically, the US would be setting itself up against not only Iran, but Russia, Turkey, Europe, and China at least. And quite probably Pakistan. Pakistan is already capable of cutting off the US supply chain and so can Turkey.

I don't think even an initial invasion would have any success.

I do agree with you that Saudi Arabia's fault lines are showing too. The Whabist/House of Saud alliance was always one of convenience. And other forces are coming into play now. Yemen has become Saudi Arabia's Vietnam. They can't win and they can't figure out how to end it.
It's easy enough for Saudi Arabia to end it: just get out and let whoever wins win. This is what the elder members of th House of Saud did with the previous dozen Yemen wars (there were quite a lot during my lifetime). MBS's paranoia about Iran means that he seems to think that Yemen is working for Iran, but it isn't, Yemen is just having one of its typical internal Yemeni wars (largely because the merger of the two Yemens should never have happened).

This really does make it very parallel to Vietnam, where the US government thought it was some sort of Russian plot, and it actually wasn't anything of the sort, it was a typical anti-colonial war of independence.

I don't know who it was, it may have been multiple players working together, but the least likely candidate is Iran.
Yep.

Any individual can be right sometimes and wrong others, so I don't know about this particular case, but my SO has been following Abramson for close to 2 years because his legal analysis of the Trump situation has been spot on. She's an attorney too and has been sorting the proverbial wheat from chaff of legal arguments about what's been going on. She regards his analysis near the top of the pack.

I'd like to see his analysis backing up his claim it was the UAE, but he will probably make his case soon if he hasn't already.
While we're thinking about this, it's worth pointing out that the UAE is not actually one country. It presents as one country internationally, but it's actually 7 countries. The internal politics of the UAE are significant, and the interests of Abu Dhabi and Dubai often diverge. Abu Dhabi has *nearly all the oil*, while the other 6 emirates are right up at the end of the peninsula, are at extreme threat from any Iranian war and would avoid it if at all possible.

• Love
Reactions: wdolson and S'toon
NBC News on Twitter
The production arrangement is part of an $8.1B arms package for Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and Jordan. The Trump admin. pressed ahead with the sale without congressional approval, declaring an "emergency" based on what it said was a heightened threat from Iran

Step 1. Manufacture "emergency" . Israel? UAE? Exxon? Who cares who really did it.
Step 2. Use emergency to avoid Congressional approval to sell arms to the guys who helped you win, that otherwise wouldn't be approved.
Step 3. ???
Step 4. Profit.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3 and neroden
I just want for record to say it is one of most delusional statements that I have seen in a while.
To be fair, *in 1789*, I guess you could say the US had one of the best systems of government ever devised.

But since then, a very large number of countries have managed to come up with much better systems.

(Though Saudi Arabia's current government would have looked obsolete even in 1789.)

Government design is a form of technological research. We have made a lot of research developments since 1789. Only a few of them were added to the US system by changing the US governmental structure -- some important ones after the Civil War, a few during the Progressive era, and a few during the Civil Rights era -- but we still haven't incorporated a lot of stuff which has been "best practice" since the 1880s. That's not good!

NBC News on Twitter

Step 1. Manufacture "emergency" . Israel? UAE? Exxon? Who cares who really did it.
Step 2. Use emergency to avoid Congressional approval to sell arms to the guys who helped you win, that otherwise wouldn't be approved.
Step 3. ???
Step 4. Profit.
Well, this fake emergency arms sale is definitely providing more evidence that the US, rather than the Saudis, might have torpedoed the ships. :-( More motive for the US.

If we can hope for one good thing to come out of the Trump administration, we can hope that the next Congress rescinds most of its delegations of power to the executive branch. In Parliamentary systems, typically Parliament can whip an out-of-control executive into shape. The US Congress is supposed to be able to do the same thing, but *the god-damned Senate* prevents it most of the time. The Senate is going to destroy the country if it isn't reformed.

It's interesting that some Canadians and some Americans have a grass is always greener view across the border. A fair number of Americans, especially in blue states wishes the US was more like Canada, while the rest don't know and don't care Canada exists for the most part.
It has nothing to do with "grass is greener" problem.

You called dysfunctional pseudodemocracy slowly rotting into corporate fascist state "one of the best systems of Government ever devised". I cannot consider it as anything other as statement completely divorced from reality.

When I cut my teeth on the study of comparative government in a graduate seminar taught by Roy Macridis moonlighting at Harvard in the summer of 1958, the British Parliamentary system was widely considered the best form of government. (He was one of the top men in his field.) Then there was a more or less stable balance between the two major parties--Tories and Labor. In our book my co author argued we should benefit from a parliamentary form because then and now divided government cannot govern since responsibility for error cannot be easily fixed in the public eye and now with a Senate division is perpetuated despite the passions of the masses.

It's been awhile since i've taught the course so don't have sound knowledge why the Brits got themselves in this mess, but coalition governments are notoriously shaky and subject to bizarre issues touted by minorities within the coalition. Israel is an extreme example of this. Furthermore, since Tony Blair British politics has more of the US taint of personality politics, which fuzzes focus on issues to be decided by elections. Just a guess.

And then there's the Russians, Facebook, and Cambridge Analytica. Here too and perhaps ever more.

Status
Not open for further replies.