Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course there may be a few conscientious Republican senators who would be willing to vote for this proposed bill promoting the purchase of electric vehicles.

True.

And there will be some Democrats that vote No.

A highly doubt this will pass the Senate. I highly doubt Mitch McConnell lets this come to a vote. I suppose he might as he thinks this puts Southern and a few Midwestern Democrat Senators in a bind. But there will not be enough Senators to overcome a Trump veto.

This is not happening til after the 2020 elections.

Reactions: Fact Checking
And there will be some Democrats that vote No.

My Democratic Governor (Wisconsin) line item vetoed Tesla being able to sell cars in Wisconsin. I'm still shocked by it, but I shouldn't be, the fossil fuel industry can corrupt anyone. Most D's talk an environmentalist game, but when the rubber hits the road I'd be weary.

My Democratic Governor (Wisconsin) line item vetoed Tesla being able to sell cars in Wisconsin. I'm still shocked by it, but I shouldn't be, the fossil fuel industry can corrupt anyone. Most D's talk an environmentalist game, but when the rubber hits the road I'd be weary.
Very different - state level pols are highly dependent on dealership dollars. In 2008 and later no Dem voted against tax credits for EVs.

Reactions: Lucky_Man
I'm not claiming that you are making claims. I'm saying that you don't seem to point to anything that is less of a delusion.

What would you like to actually happen?

To be clear, you feel that my statement that corrupt corporatists are, for the most part, running the government to be incorrect? Deluded in fact?

If this is the case then we can agree to disagree.

Your point that I do not seem to offering a solution may be valid. I would love to say I have one, but sadly no. The most obvious first step which is to remove all money from politics is...deluded.

I try to improve the lives of the people around me. I need to keep trying.

That has been their conclusion every time they lose. If the Democrats can deliver a crushing defeat it might be enough to jolt them into some semblance of reality.
Here are the facts
- Most people just vote based on party affiliation. So, partisanship is the #1 factor. Both parties have about equal partisans who vote (lot of Dems but they vote at a lower rate).
- By going to the left or right, you are slightly changing who votes for you.
- Going further from the center makes the base more enthusiastic and more of them vote (or volunteer, donate etc). But you lose some in the "center".
- Tacking back to the center makes the base less enthusiastic and less of them vote (or volunteer, donate etc). But you gain some in the "center".

So, the question really is - by moving from or towards the center do you lose more at the center or more of the base. I don't think we have a clear answer. Consultants would tell you it is a "normal" curve with the majority in the "center". Trump proved them wrong (to a certain extant Sanders) in 16. Most people don't care about free trade or budget deficit that consultant class claimed center cared about.

The "center" is very vague. It is apparently anything that a few political consultants in the DC/NY area claim is the center. It is perhaps something that donors were okay with.

We know that you can get a lot of people to back you by blaming minorities/foreigners … generally anyone who can be "othered". Donors and DC/NY consultants who didn't like the ramifications kept that in check - generally limited to dog whistling. Trump found out that you can just go around the mainstream media as long as you have Fox and twitter/facebook. So, basically you can get more of the base fired up by talking like how those people talked among themselves but was not considered ok in public - it wasn't "politically correct".

What next ?

ps : US is not alone in this. You see the same thing happening in UK, Hungary, India, Philippines, Turkey, Brazil etc

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Intl Professor
To be clear, you feel that my statement that corrupt corporatists are, for the most part, running the government to be incorrect? Deluded in fact?

I think that your sole emphasis on "corrupt corporatists" is not more accurate than the distinction between the sides of the aisle, especially with the blind support for the Trump administration's views on the one side, and the current strong tendency to vote along party lines on both sides.

There are other reasons than "corrupt corporatists". One is simply inertia of lifestyle. For example, a few years ago quite a few people expressed pessimism about the future of electric cars because of their lack of motor sound. As EVs become more and more common, that will go away.

Your point that I do not seem to offering a solution may be valid. I would love to say I have one, but sadly no. The most obvious first step which is to remove all money from politics is...deluded.

I try to improve the lives of the people around me. I need to keep trying.

That was my impression, as it seems to me that as much as one negates the current differences between both parties, one also negates the possibility of a political solution. But isn't the current administration clearly much worse regarding addressing climate change, compared to other recent ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.