Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
06C1B5CF-14C5-44AC-9D70-39B7E01C7E81.jpeg
“Book learnin’. That’s for liberals!”

Attachments

• 999CDB16-3124-448B-AF85-BB65F4BB8D47.jpeg
    999CDB16-3124-448B-AF85-BB65F4BB8D47.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 74
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."
I wonder how relevant this statement still is for Trumpers.
Luckily Trump was blocked on cutting healthcare (but shows intent) but the tax cut for the rich & quantitative easing by the Fed (increasing the deficit) has simply enriched the wealthy further, increasing inequality.

• Disagree
Reactions: JRP3 and bkp_duke
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."
I wonder how relevant this statement still is for Trumpers.
Luckily Trump was blocked on cutting healthcare (but shows intent) but the tax cut for the rich & quantitative easing by the Fed (increasing the deficit) has simply enriched the wealthy further, increasing inequality.

You are correct but this could also apply to Obama who oversaw the biggest increase in wealth inequality in decades. He didn't cut healthcare but the ACA was a boom to the pharma and healthcare industries.

This is why Bernie is resonating because people are tired of the two-party system that only serves the wealthy and well-connected.

• Love
Reactions: gene and bkp_duke
Jerome Powell is actually stupid. He should go to his boss and say, "Look, I'm not cutting interest rates so you can try to pump the markets until November. You can fire me if you want. You know what will really start a market panic? Firing me. So do your worst, you orange sack of grit."

Instead we have this clustermuck. If interest rates are already zero, how the cluck are you going to ducking soften the blow when the actual crash comes? All this is doing is guaranteeing a depression instead of a recession.

Reactions: gene
This is why Bernie is resonating because people are tired of the two-party system that only serves the wealthy and well-connected.

For better or worse, Bernie will be the polar opposite of Trump, which means he will continue the two-party system. Its just flipping one extreme to the other.

Will be interesting what happens tonight, though. Regardless of whether the drop-outs had backed Biden, the fact that only Bernie and Biden remains essentially will mean Bernie isn't going to get a landslide victory IMO. Those drop-outs were just taking the votes away from Biden this whole time.

Jerome Powell is actually stupid. He should go to his boss and say, "Look, I'm not cutting interest rates so you can try to pump the markets until November. You can fire me if you want. You know what will really start a market panic? Firing me. So do your worst, you orange sack of grit."

Instead we have this clustermuck. If interest rates are already zero, how the cluck are you going to ducking soften the blow when the actual crash comes? All this is doing is guaranteeing a depression instead of a recession.

You really believe that the Fed is responding to Trump? So is China, Bank of Japan, and soon the ECB, too?

The central banks are doing this to save themselves. A slowdown in the market and/or rising rates pops the bubble that they've been so careful to create since 2009. A currency crisis risks the entire deck of cards of their fiat money system.

Don't forget rates were pegged at zero during Obama's entire presidency.

You may be correct that their actions may hasten the day of reckoning anyway.

Reactions: bkp_duke

Actually, propping up the markets is not a bad idea, regardless of political ideology. A market crash right now would only exacerbate panic about COVID-19 (which as a physician I think is already over-hyped). A sense of calm and stability needs to be pushed forth.

One of the main failings of the response to the Great Recession has proven to be the delayed response by the governments to the market. When they did responde, it helped and prevented a depression.

Bernie is winning in the states that are either completely or mostly vote by mail. As the vote was counted in a lot of states Bloomberg's percentage steady fell all night. Bloomberg got a fair share of the early non-Bernie vote, but it's all rallying around Biden. There are several things going on: the Democratic party as a whole is not as liberal as the Twitter Democrats, Bernie has decided to attack the Democratic party which ticked off Democrats on the fence, and there are quite a few people in this country who want a low drama president and Bernie is seen as bringing a different kind of drama to the presidency while Biden would likely be a low drama presidency.

Bernie appeals to the youth, but that's a demographic that does not turn out to vote in large numbers. The under 30 vote has never been closer than a 20% gap from the over 65 vote and has always been a much lower percentage than the 45-65 vote too. For those who are more liberal that bodes well for the future, but this isn't the year for an extreme liberal.

Five Thirty Eight has a primary simulator and the average of the remaining 475 simulations has the final results going into the convention as:
Biden 1775
Bernie 1358
Bloomberg 551
Warren 257
Klobachar 12
Buttigieg 26

It's pretty certain Klobachar and Buttigieg will pledge their delegates to Biden and there is a high probability Bloomberg will too. That puts Biden over the top on the first ballot. There is a 30.1% chance Biden will have more than enough on the first ballot and only a 4.8% chance Bernie will.

I have committed to voting for whoever the Democratic nominee was from the start. I hope the Bernie supporters will too even if he doesn't get the nomination. Even if you don't like Biden much, he's vastly better than Trump.

Hard to find Bernie's name anywhere in the media this evening, I guess he's not participating in Biden's BIG NIGHT.

Wake me up when this nonsense is over and we can raise the minimum wage. The service at the North Philly Wendy's is abhorrent!

If the Democrats control both houses of Congress and the presidency next year, there is a good chance the federal minimum wage will be raised, but I thought Pennsylvania had its own minimum wage law?

In other news the Alabama senate primary was tonight and it looks like Roy Moore is only getting 8% of the vote. Jeff Sessions is going to a runoff with someone else. In any case that does not bode well for Doug Jones unless the Republicans really flame out.

I have committed to voting for whoever the Democratic nominee was from the start. I hope the Bernie supporters will too even if he doesn't get the nomination. Even if you don't like Biden much, he's vastly better than Trump
You saw with Obama that major change doesn’t happen in the centre & Biden will be much the same.
If Bernie doesn’t get the nomination, I hope Biden loses. America needs Trump for another 4 years to learn. It’s amazing how many people have to be brought to their knees to bring about change. Sad but true.
I thought 4 years of Trump would be enough to educate people. Doesn’t look like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.