Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess New York got a small number of ventilator's released today, but after governor Cuomo complained 200 was a drop in the bucket, it embarrassed the administration to release a few more. Cuomo said he needed 30,000, but it looks like he's getting 4200.

Isn't the poor always f***ed by the rich, across the world throughout history?

Sadly, generally true (and sometimes literally), but not universally. There are definitely a few rich folks who aren't trying to screw the poor, so let's identify and support them, rather than group them with the rest of the aristocrats.

Reactions: The Blue Owl
Sadly, generally true (and sometimes literally), but not universally. There are definitely a few rich folks who aren't trying to screw the poor, so let's identify and support them, rather than group them with the rest of the aristocrats.

Some rich people are not "screw the poor". FDR was wealthy, but did quite a bit to raise up the poor. There are wealthy today who advocate reducing the income inequality in the US.

Frequently people who are wealthy now but came from more humble origins or lived at least part of their life in the real world with the less fortunate are usually more compassionate about the less fortunate than those who are born to it and lived their entire lives in a bubble. Often times the life long rich don't have a clue why the poor are poor and buy the messages that the poor are poor because they are lazy instead of the truth most of the time that they were just unlucky to be born in the wrong zip code.

Some people succeed despite their circumstances and some fail despite their advantages, but for the bulk of the population, the opportunities they get growing up affect how their life turns out.

It's not universal, but generally Democrats are more interested in lifting up the less fortunate than Republicans. Both parties have less fortunate people in their base, but the Republicans succeed by getting that population in their base to vote against their best interests.

upload_2020-3-26_13-24-44.png
The odds it's taking root in red states now are very, very high.

Every state should be preparing right now.
There's no getting around CV, and national coordination is essential if this isn't to drag on and on.

Source Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

The latest data do show California putting a lid on the increase in cases, if the excellent FT graphic is to be believed. EDIT: Wrong interpretation on my part, of course. Thanks to @ZeApelido.

Last edited:
Isn't the poor always f***ed by the rich, across the world throughout history?

So what part of the bill are you referring to? Payments to those earning less than $99k? Money for medical community? Money for states? Money for small businesses as long as they keep their employees? Money for expanded unemployment for those who don't keep their jobs? Money for larger industries/corporations so they don't go under, costing workers their jobs? Or is there something else in the bill that I'm not seeing yet?

I don't know what the final bill included but the proposed one time payment of 1.5k was crap.
One time payment is $1200 per person, $2400 per couple plus $500 per child. So a family of four will see $3400. But not going to wealthier families.

This is on top of expanded regular unemployment plus $600 extra for those who lose their jobs.

This on top of small business loans that turn into grants if they keep all their employees.

So for most people, that one time payment is additional money on top of what they were already making and continuing to make.

• Informative
Reactions: Sean Wagner
View attachment 525919

There's no getting around CV, and national coordination is essential if this isn't to drag on and on.

The latest data do show California putting a lid on the increase in cases, if the excellent FT graphic is to be believed.

I've been following this site for California new cases and they are still going up:

Coronavirus Map: Tracking COVID-19 cases across the Bay Area and California

• Helpful
Reactions: Sean Wagner
View attachment 525919

The latest data do show California putting a lid on the increase in cases, if the excellent FT graphic is to be believed. EDIT: Wrong interpretation on my part, of course. Thanks to @ZeApelido.

The lack of leadership from Washington it making medical systems in states that should be cooperating compete for limited supplies. The deep denial in Mississippi and to a lesser extent Alabama is setting them up for a massive outbreak.

A brain therapist I know consults with another brain expert in Oklahoma. The other day she was asking him if this whole corona virus thing was real. She heard little snippets, but the local news and everyone she knows locally think it's a hoax. She's not connected with emergency medicine in any way, but she is a medical professional and she was not fully aware of the medical tsunami headed for her state.

I've been thinking a lot about the Psychological impact of COVID-19. It's going to be multi faceted and in some cases severe. Some people who are stuck in isolation too long will start to decompensate like prisoners in solitary can do. People who already have some anxiety issues are going to have them cranked to 11. And those who have been denouncing this as a hoax are either going to have a shock possibly bigger than 9/11 when it strikes down people they know, or they will remain in deep denial up to the moment their lungs quit working and they asphyxiate. Some of the people who remain in denial may have psychotic breaks from trying to deny reality.

I read the divorce rate in Wuhan has skyrocketed. I expect more domestic violence, more divorce, possibly an increase in crimes of mischief as youth too bored to stay in any longer go out looking for some stimulation. Others may loose it and go on a rampage with their gun collections.

Probably most people who survive this will have some Psychological scars they will carry the rest of their lives.

The lack of leadership from Washington it making medical systems in states that should be cooperating compete for limited supplies. The deep denial in Mississippi and to a lesser extent Alabama is setting them up for a massive outbreak.

A brain therapist I know consults with another brain expert in Oklahoma. The other day she was asking him if this whole corona virus thing was real. She heard little snippets, but the local news and everyone she knows locally think it's a hoax. She's not connected with emergency medicine in any way, but she is a medical professional and she was not fully aware of the medical tsunami headed for her state.

I've been thinking a lot about the Psychological impact of COVID-19. It's going to be multi faceted and in some cases severe. Some people who are stuck in isolation too long will start to decompensate like prisoners in solitary can do. People who already have some anxiety issues are going to have them cranked to 11. And those who have been denouncing this as a hoax are either going to have a shock possibly bigger than 9/11 when it strikes down people they know, or they will remain in deep denial up to the moment their lungs quit working and they asphyxiate. Some of the people who remain in denial may have psychotic breaks from trying to deny reality.

I read the divorce rate in Wuhan has skyrocketed. I expect more domestic violence, more divorce, possibly an increase in crimes of mischief as youth too bored to stay in any longer go out looking for some stimulation. Others may loose it and go on a rampage with their gun collections.

Probably most people who survive this will have some Psychological scars they will carry the rest of their lives.

As an asthmatic survivor of this crap virus I am both shocked and enlighted by your post. Yes people will die of this in denial of how bad off they are and that they may have it. Within only a few days of symptom onset you may suddenly find yourself on deaths door and you better hope if that happens you have capable family with you that can do what is necessary to save your life in that moment. Even for one who was careful and prepared it still caught me by surprise with the sudden severity of it, I cant speak to the nonathmatic population only from my personal experience. For many more than most believe I think this will be fatal without immediate care in the moment of need. I had my wife who is medically trained and her sister who is a nurse that specializes in the respiratory issues, without them and their quick actions I would have been dead two weeks ago. I am grateful and I am seriously concerned for all the other asthmatic people in this country and those with other conditions that would exasperate this viruses effects in the lungs.

So what part of the bill are you referring to? Payments to those earning less than $99k? Money for medical community? Money for states? Money for small businesses as long as they keep their employees? Money for expanded unemployment for those who don't keep their jobs? Money for larger industries/corporations so they don't go under, costing workers their jobs? Or is there something else in the bill that I'm not seeing yet?

At the time of my link, and the associated sentiment, republican senators were trying to keep a $500B corporate slush fund and money to buy oil to fill the strategic pretroleum reserves, while at the same time eliminating the solar and EV tax credits AND not expanding support of ubemployment insurance.

That was pure corporate influence.

Status
Not open for further replies.