Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Marketing and Taking Care of Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fairchild

14S,16 X90,18 3,19 XRvn, 21 Y, 14S. 22 YP, 23 3
Mar 27, 2016
Florida
Having a Model S and a Model X and a Model 3 on order, I have been a marketer for Tesla since Day One.

I have spent hours each week showing my car to patients, colleagues, and Friends. I often give test rides and demonstrations after which many of my friends place orders.

The initial Tesla Financial rewards program was well-designed and rewarded the owner for the time invested and for being in the marketing arm of Tesla. The new program does not. I remember getting my first set of tires from the reward that I received under the old program. It motivated me to continue to market to others a great product.

Getting a ticket to some opening that I cannot attend because of distance or being tossed into a pool for some prize it's not my idea of an incentive.

The new program offers little if any incentive. At a minimum the program should offer half of the financial incentive to the buyer and half to the marketer, namely $500 each.

I personally bought my first Tesla because of a test ride with a friend. Part of that time I didn't even know what a Tesla was.

I so wish that the Tesla marketing division would realize that their current owners are their greatest asset and selling Teslas. Incentivizing owners accordingly will see sales Skyrocket.

Once again, last night I spent an hour of my time showing a colleague my Model X. He is canceling his order for a BMW and ordering a Model X.

Take heed Marketing if you are genuinely interested in making your sales numbers next quarter.

Scott

As a side light, the Model Xmas software was probably one of the best marketing tools you ever inadvertently developed. I must have demonstrated it to over 50 people and I'm sure a good number of them will purchase. But again like the initial financial incentives to owners program for marketing the car, this marketing tool disappeared.

In as much as Tesla does not have an advertising budget, please take care of your owners who are working hard to sell a great car.

I understand that TESLA just reinstituted the $1000 of mechandise or services, but soley for the Model S.

Apparenty merchandise and services don't fall under the purview of the CA DMV.

I just spent another hour with a prospective Model X buyer last night. Let's see the same incentive for the Model X I guess for future inquiries, I could simply direct them to the website.

IMG_1324.jpg 20161029_150618.jpg

Having a Model S and a Model X and a Model 3 on order, I have been a marketer for Tesla since Day One.

I have spent hours each week showing my car to patients, colleagues, and Friends. I often give test rides and demonstrations after which many of my friends place orders.

The initial Tesla Financial rewards program was well-designed and rewarded the owner for the time invested and for being in the marketing arm of Tesla. The new program does not. I remember getting my first set of tires from the reward that I received under the old program. It motivated me to continue to market to others a great product.

Roadster owners did all of the above and more*, with no expectation of payment - long before you bought an S. Financial incentives, as noted by others above, have been killed off by a few states. Also note that many people are gaining referrals by finding people who were already buying a Tesla (websites, for instance). They didn't influence the sale. They only searched out those buying. No net benefit to Tesla.

I continue to think it's great that Tesla is rewarding owners for doing what we were doing for free. I'm not going to complain.

*'and more' means we donated chargers and built the first Tesla Highway, enabling both Roadster owners and Tesla employees to travel up and down the West Coast and beyond. Tesla didn't do that (unlike the Supercharger system). We did.

Reactions: NSX1992 and xkwizit
While yes. it is a good thing Tesla does with incentives
#5bonnie is right. Many Tesla owners with Youtube channels or ways of covering a bigger audience can get many referrals. Maybe they deserve it, or not. Personally I leave my referral code down on my TMC page like many others here. If someone uses it, great! But I really didn't do anything for it. As a Tesla owner I am a salesman like many others. I do it because I love the car and want others to see how great it is. I'm pushing a few friends and family (to no avail just yet) to buy one. Mostly because of my love and joy of driving it. Tesla wants to give me new 21" rims/tires for it, bring it on! :)

Roadster owners did all of the above and more*, with no expectation of payment - long before you bought an S. Financial incentives, as noted by others above, have been killed off by a few states. Also note that many people are gaining referrals by finding people who were already buying a Tesla (websites, for instance). They didn't influence the sale. They only searched out those buying. No net benefit to Tesla.

I continue to think it's great that Tesla is rewarding owners for doing what we were doing for free. I'm not going to complain.

*'and more' means we donated chargers and built the first Tesla Highway, enabling both Roadster owners and Tesla employees to travel up and down the West Coast and beyond. Tesla didn't do that (unlike the Supercharger system). We did.
Well said @bonnie

The California DMV ruled that by giving financial incentives, Tesla was making the owners unlicensed car dealers. And that was the end of financial incentives.

It was silly on part of CA DMV but we all know the pressures of the auto dealership lobby against Tesla on the State agencies.
But there is a world outside of California. They could've continue to give credits for those living in other states/countries.

I understand that TESLA just reinstituted the $1000 of mechandise or services, but soley for the Model S.

Apparenty merchandise and services don't fall under the purview of the CA DMV.

I just spent another hour with a prospective Model X buyer last night. Let's see the same incentive for the Model X I guess for future inquiries, I could simply direct them to the website.

Where did you see this?

The better way for Tesla to promote their cars is to improve QC and absolutely ensure that vehicles at delivery are free from problems. When new car owners discover issues when they get home, or worse, on the drive home, and then have to take it back to the service center, and wait, and wait,....... then it doesn't really matter how many people OP shows his car to.

Reactions: Chopr147
The better way for Tesla to promote their cars is to improve QC and absolutely ensure that vehicles at delivery are free from problems. When new car owners discover issues when they get home, or worse, on the drive home, and then have to take it back to the service center, and wait, and wait,....... then it doesn't really matter how many people OP shows his car to.
@Darren Donovan - I hope you realize that there are several times more perfect Teslas on the road than the ones with problems that we hear about in the forums. And every auto manufacturer has some issues with their vehicles. Model X was also a beast to tame in terms of production due to its severely complicated design.