TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Marking threads as "forget" or "ignore"?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by brianstorms, May 28, 2013.

1. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

Is there a way with the forum software TMC uses to hide/forget/ignore some threads, for example ones in a foreign language? So that they won't show up in What's New...

2. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

I'd be interested in this feature too. It would make the "today's posts" feature much more useful.

3. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

The conferencing software that The WELL's online community has been using for years has a "forget" feature which was always incredibly handy. If you just weren't interested in a certain topic that some folks went off on a tangent on, you could just "forget" it, and it would stop showing up anywhere you looked. You could always "unforget" it later if you wanted, but 99.9% of the time you'd just "forget" and leave forgotten. Very handy.

I'm surprised VBulletin, or whatever the web forum software is here, doesn't have such an age-old, time-tested feature.

4. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

We're using vBulletin 4.x here and it doesn't have that feature out of the box. I've looked into that feature as an add-on in the past and wasn't happy with what was available.

I suggest trying out the "Subscribed Forums" feature we do have. Simply subscribe the the forums and sub-forums you're interested in. A new tab will appear at the top labelled "Subscribed Forums". When you click that, it will return the new posts only in the forums in which you're subscribed.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

To be fair Doug, there are posts in forums you may want to follow that one might wish to "forget" too.

6. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Yeah, I know. We so far only have a solution on the forum level. However, most users are likely unaware of it.

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator