Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mars and Off Planet Colonization - General Possibilities Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A panel to discus about SpaceX. They did get Elon to speak, but its interesting anyway.

Edit: 36:44 "Elon Musk is a out of science fiction. You do realize that. Okay, Okay.
Heinlein wrote him up long ago."

I trust somebody has read Heinlein's book
Are we talking about Stranger In A Stranga Land?
Heinlen wrote a lot of books. I don’t know which one was the intended reference.

Stranger in a Strange Land is one of my favorites.

Reactions: pilotSteve
The Boeing CEO stated that Boeing would beat SpaceX to Mars. Elon's response is typical Elon.

Elon Musk on Twitter

1. Boeing CEO: We’re Going to Beat Elon Musk to Mars http://for.tn/2j3ZPXX

DQdYimbUIAAp6UZ.jpg

163 replies758 retweets3,232 likes
Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk
Replying to @FortuneTech
Do it

9:05 AM - 7 Dec 2017

Heinlen wrote a lot of books. I don’t know which one was the intended reference.

Stranger in a Strange Land is one of my favorites.
I think it is a reference to The Man Who Sold the Moon, Delos D. Harriman I think. It's a collection of early short stories mostly about this one guy financing and building the space industry. I haven't read it for about 30 years, and I think mine's in a box in Australia.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Reactions: Grendal
I loved Elon’s response. That Boeing CEO strikes a confident pose, but he has to walk the walk. While it’s obvious to me that the SLS is farther along in construction than the BFR, that doesn’t mean that a Boeing rocket is going to be the first vehicle to take humans to Mars.We shall see...
The Boeing CEO stated that Boeing would beat SpaceX to Mars. Elon's response is typical Elon.

Elon Musk on Twitter

1. Boeing CEO: We’re Going to Beat Elon Musk to Mars http://for.tn/2j3ZPXX

DQdYimbUIAAp6UZ.jpg

163 replies758 retweets3,232 likes
Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk
Replying to @FortuneTech
Do it

9:05 AM - 7 Dec 2017

Reactions: jkn and Grendal
I loved Elon’s response. That Boeing CEO strikes a confident pose, but he has to walk the walk. While it’s obvious to me that the SLS is farther along in construction than the BFR, that doesn’t mean that a Boeing rocket is going to be the first vehicle to take humans to Mars.We shall see...

Getting to Mars is possible with SLS. Landing on Mars or doing anything useful with Mars is just not possible with SLS. Doing an orbit just to come back is just a huge waste of time and money. That is the most that SLS can do.

Landing on Mars or doing anything useful with Mars is just not possible with SLS.
I am not disputing your statement, and the Planetary Society seems to agree. See NASA unveiled new plans for getting humans to Mars, and hardly anyone noticed

NASA’s website seems to give the impression that SLS can take humans to Mars without actually saying it will get them to the surface.. See J2M Getting to Mars: SLS and Orion

I think it would be crazy to bet against SpaceX being the first to put humans on Mars, and the Boeing CEO is just trash talking with nothing concrete to back him up. Which is why Elon is no doubt enjoying egging him on. ;)

Where else would you go? NJ?
You didn't read bottom line:)

Some alternatives for Mars:
Venus Labs

Instead of Mars: Asgardia

Forget Mars. Let's all move to Titan

International Lunar Observatory Association & Moon Express | Redefining Possible & The Moon Society

Colonization of Ceres

After all this somebody should speak for Mercury. It has ice:
New research suggests Mercury's poles are icier than scientists thought
and solar energy ~ 10 kW/m²

- Chemical rockets are not enough, but solar electric should work.
- Too much solar energy. It is not a cool place. Poles would be possible.
- High density -> probably more heavy metals than elsewhere.

My big issue with that article is, as is typical, the debate is "go to Mars or go nowhere", as if Mars is the only realistic destination in the solar system.
Yes, I am aware of your opinion about colonizing Venus.

SpaceX is going to Mars because Elon (and many other people who have studied the issue) believes that is the destination in the solar system that currently available and reasonably foreseeable technology can enable us to colonize effectively.

I thought that the article I linked to was interesting because it emphasized the important of the human spirit of exploration.

Reactions: scaesare
Yes, I am aware of your opinion about colonizing Venus. SpaceX is going to Mars because Elon (and many other people who have studied the issue) believes that is the destination in the solar system that currently available and reasonably foreseeable technology can enable us to colonize effectively.

So we're going to pretend that "people who have studied the issue" are uniform in their opinion on the subject? Nonsense. There's of course Mars advocates. There's also a lot of Moon advocates. And deep space and/or asteroid advocates. And yes, Venus advocates. Is, say, Geoffrey Landis not someone "who has studied the issue"? Heck, are you saying that I haven't studied the issue?

"Appeal to Authority" is always a bad copout, but it's especially bad when the authorities themselves are divided on the subject.

More to the point, the ratio of Mars advocates to other destinations is much higher in the general public versus the scientific community. Specifically because Mars is not as easy of a place to colonize as the general public imagines it being (that concept being due to decades of sci-fi focused around it - a person in particular obsessed with sci-fi being one Elon Musk). Oh, and one more thing? Musk hasn't actually studied Mars colonization. At least in nothing he's discussed publicly. Whenever he's asked about colonization details, even the most basic ones, he always stresses that he's not getting involved in that, that he's building a transport service so that others can take care of colonization details.

I thought that the article I linked to was interesting because it emphasized the important of the human spirit of exploration.

And am I not allowed to disagree with the premise of an article without getting a condescending response?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: winfield100
I've yet to hear any even half-way believable scheme for making a Mars colony break even, much less pay for the initial capital costs. There's no reason to even believe that humans can live on Mars for long periods, much less reproduce.

The "Human spirit of exploration" argument can be applied to anything. Why not pick something that has at least a 1% chance of being successful?

Reactions: 1 person
So we're going to pretend that "people who have studied the issue" are uniform in their opinion on the subject?
I said “many other people”. Interpret that as you wish.

No, I clearly did not make that statement.

And am I not allowed to disagree with the premise of an article without getting a condescending response?
Obviously you are allowed to disagree with that article and I never stated otherwise.

I find your ideas for colonizing Venus (I read some of the documents you linked to earlier this year) wildly improbable because the technology required seems far beyond anything humanity is likely to be capable of in this century. Of course, I could be wrong. But that is my opinion. And you are welcome to your opinion.