Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mars and Off Planet Colonization - General Possibilities Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you watch this video that was posted in the Mars thread 2 days before your post?

Mars
That talk is, to put it kindly, populist drivel.

The notion that simply vaporizing the polar caps will magically terraform Mars into someplace we could live is, to say the very least, wildly optimistic. He also seems to be under the impression that plants can live in a pure CO2 atmosphere. That alone pretty much blows any residual belief I might have had in him. Beyond that he cavalierly assumes low gravity is a pure win, which is totally unproven.

Notice that at no point does he mentions how this could be funded or self sustaining, much less economically viable. Any colony has to rapidly become at least economically self supporting. No nation on Earth will support a colony of any size for any length of time, particularly one so expensive to supply as one on Mars would be. What could Mars possibly trade with Earth that would fund any colony there?

It's also going to be pretty hard and expensive to build up the industrial infrastructure to make all the marvelous machines necessary to subsist there. Who's going to pay for that, and for that matter, how would we get it there? Don't say 3D printing either.

It seems to me that if we're going to expand into space, we should start with orbiting colonies "O'Neil Cylinders" with lunar, or possibly asteroid, mines supplying most of the materials, launched using something like magnetic quench guns.

In addition to removing most of the environmental issues, including gravity, they are close to the Earth so travel would be much cheaper and faster. There also might be some conceivable trade articles such as power, very high vacuum/microgravity manufacturing, tourism, etc. I can't imagine anything that Mars could produce that would be profitable to trade with Earth, and if someone got into trouble on Mars requiring specialized care, it would be between 6 and 12 months to get home.

O'Neill space colonies are a great idea but require an enormous space infrastructure to build. It's like saying instead of building log cabins and burning wood, early settlers should have built power plants at Niagara falls and skyscrapers in Manhattan.

Mars can be settled using existing technology with comparatively little space infrastructure.

The idea is to bootstrap civilization into being spacefaring with Mars settlement and the infrastructure that gets built up to accomplish that also happens to allow everything else including eventually SpaceColonies.

Space Colonies as a first step don't work because you have to invest far too much in intermediate steps before getting anyone living there permanently. You'd need to literally spend trillions of dollars up front building things like lunar bases and working space stations before you could even start to build your first colony and no one would "live" there until it was finished. On Mars it might be a crude life but people would be "living there" from the beginning. They'd be committed and start having children. On Mars it's not just part of a grandiose construction project with employees living on the job site. It's a place people would expect to live for the rest of their lives and have descendants carry on after them. It's like the difference between homesteading and governments building new cities in artificial islands. It's not so much about hardware as about the human meaning of what's happening.

We'll see Elon's detailed plans in September but there's a good chance the BFR/MCT system will also function as a general purpose Space Transport System that's much more efficient than NASA ever hoped to achieve with the Shuttle and other programs. If SpaceX can build these systems to support Mars settlement they will be opening up space in general.

Mars as an inspiring and concrete goal doesn't exclude other objectives in space it facilitates them.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I suppose that with SpaceX making reusable rockets, the cost is greatly lowered to airlift a LOT of fuel, food, and supplies into earth orbit, then the ships that make the long ride to Mars can pick it all up there instead of only taking what they can carry in one launch from earth gravity. Like a rocket towing a camping trailer full of supplies. And solar panels. I suppose if they get enough solar power out to Mars, that helps a lot of other problems.
Very nice post, because that's what's at SpaceX.Com/Mars :)

• Love
Elon Musk holding AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Reddit.Com today at 3pm Pacific Daylight Time (10pm UTC), which is a little over 4 hours from when I'm posting this message.

Although I have no way to confirm, there seems to be claims that it will be on http://reddit.com/r/spacex

And furthermore that the ACTUAL AMA thread has not yet been started, so people will have to search for it when it comes time, probably sooner, right? This is my first reading of an AMA, and this is a high profile one, so it's probably also special, too, so I have no idea how it actually will come up.

Last edited:
A thought crossed my mind on recently on the dream of Mars I would like to share. I share that dream. It's a big and wonderful dream. A dream of being a space faring civilization not bound to its world of origin. But perhaps, for now, it is a dream too far. Climate change and environmental protection will face much opposition from the upcoming administration. Perhaps the priority and resources of SpaceX should be realigned away from trying to make Mars more livable, and towards trying to make sure Earth doesn't become less.

Just something to think about.

Reactions: Grendal
A thought crossed my mind on recently on the dream of Mars I would like to share. I share that dream. It's a big and wonderful dream. A dream of being a space faring civilization not bound to its world of origin. But perhaps, for now, it is a dream too far. Climate change and environmental protection will face much opposition from the upcoming administration. Perhaps the priority and resources of SpaceX should be realigned away from trying to make Mars more livable, and towards trying to make sure Earth doesn't become less.

Just something to think about.

Figuring out the best use of resources is always hard, and requires a clearer understanding of probable outcomes than I think we really have.

Having said that, getting a viable self sustaining population off of the planet needs to be a top priority as soon as it is practical to accomplish.

Last edited:
Perhaps the priority and resources of SpaceX should be realigned away from trying to make Mars more livable, and towards trying to make sure Earth doesn't become less.
SpaceX can do little towards combatting ignorance and the pollution produced by our industrial civilization. It has its own mission which is a critical one. Tesla is doing what it can on the terrestrial side.

On to Mars.