Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martha's Vineyard Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where is the fastest location to charge? Is it Cronig's Market on State Rd in Vineyard Haven? Before purchasing a model S, I looked at this solar power charging station and it appears their most powerful source is a J-1772 probably delivering 208V at 30A. Wish I could find a NEMA 14-50 running at 40A on 240V. Fortunately, it's a small island so you can't drive very far.

PlugShare shows a Tesla Destination charger at the Harborview Hotel in Edgartown, a hotel/restaurant I've patronized numerous times. In fact, Tesla had a test drive event there a few years ago and I got hooked on purchase. They probably allow patrons of the bar/restaurant to receive a charge. But how do you know it is 80A @ 220+ volts? Check-ins here reported lower power at 40A which is similar to NEMA 15-40. What is the power rating of a Tesla destination charger?

PlugShare shows a Tesla Destination charger at the Harborview Hotel in Edgartown, a hotel/restaurant I've patronized numerous times. In fact, Tesla had a test drive event there a few years ago and I got hooked on purchase. They probably allow patrons of the bar/restaurant to receive a charge. But how do you know it is 80A @ 220+ volts? Check-ins here reported lower power at 40A which is similar to NEMA 15-40. What is the power rating of a Tesla destination charger?
There is no standard destination charger power level; it's whatever the host feels like paying for/what their electrical system can support. I've seen 40A, 80A, and anything in between. If the HPWC was installed under the destination charging program, it should be listed on the Find Us | Tesla page. The "Find Us" entry will show a kw rating, in this case 13kW, so probably 64A@208V. Voltage/Amps alone doesn't really matter, since it's the combined kW available that determine charging speed.

Unfortunately, when people check in, they generally report the rate they are drawing (the number before the slash), not the power offered (the number after), which is less helpful for those of us with dual chargers. I often edit the plugshare listing to add the available power, since something in a check-in will get buried over time.

Note the Thorncroft Inn's plugshare entry says it's an 80A charger (16kW), while Tesla's Find Us says it's 13kW - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EdA