Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian MW03 wheels installed on new MYP - photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am with you. I was all set to buy the 18's for my MY LR and at the last minute, I actually thought they would look too small. So I am going to order 19" wheels for it. I can't say I am a big rim guy other than as an engineer, I want lighter weight, more efficient wheels. I am willing to give up some aero efficiency for better around town performance and acceleration.

I am with you. I was all set to buy the 18's for my MY LR and at the last minute, I actually thought they would look too small. So I am going to order 19" wheels for it. I can't say I am a big rim guy other than as an engineer, I want lighter weight, more efficient wheels. I am willing to give up some aero efficiency for better around town performance and acceleration.
Same here. I am waiting for the 19" wheel covers to come out, and the new Michelin sport EV tires

I had a tough time finding good photos when I was searching for an aftermarket wheel/tire setup that would be lighter and have more sidewall than the stock Uberturbine combo, so I thought I'd post here. These are Martian MW03 19x9.5 (same as stock Gemini size) in Satin Black. No issues with fitment and OE TPMS and stock lugnuts work fine. The wheels include Martian Wheels "MW" center caps, but I ended up ordering an Amazon set of center caps with the white Tesla logo which came with black lugnut covers that fit over the stock lugs).

I've only done a bit of driving so far (and only got the MYP yesterday!), but they do seem to be quieter and smoother over bumps. I guess not surprising when you remove 18 lbs of unsprung weight per wheel!

For tires, I've always put on winters, but now WFH I thought I'd give a set of "all weather" tires a go after hearing Tesla owners raving about Vredesteins, so I'm running some Quatrac Pros in the stock 19" size (255/45). Very interested to see how they do vs the X-Ices I had on my Model 3.

View attachment 675258

View attachment 675260

View attachment 675261

View attachment 675259
Those look great! I have to stop cruising these pages until my MYL is delivered. I'm spending future money too fast!

Bump! OP, would greatly appreciate an update - are you happy with this wheel / tire combo? Considering more or less the same for our incoming MYP. Want a single set of do-everything tires that will be competent in snow (frequent snowboarding trips) without compromising too much in terms of dry weather performance/range/etc (socal here).

Cross shopping Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s, maybe Continental DWS06s.

Any updates now that you’ve had them for a while? How’s the performance, comfort and range for you?

Thanks!

Bump! OP, would greatly appreciate an update - are you happy with this wheel / tire combo? Considering more or less the same for our incoming MYP. Want a single set of do-everything tires that will be competent in snow (frequent snowboarding trips) without compromising too much in terms of dry weather performance/range/etc (socal here).

Cross shopping Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s, maybe Continental DWS06s.

Any updates now that you’ve had them for a while? How’s the performance, comfort and range for you?

Thanks!

I am happy with the combo after a summer of driving, although it is difficult for me to compare to the just 24 hours I had the Uberturbines on. From what I remember, the steering and handling is a tad less sharp which makes sense given the all-weather tires and increased sidewall, but the trade-off is more than worth it for the improved ride quality vs the 21s.

We have not gotten a real snowfall yet in Michigan, so I can't comment on how well they do compare to real winter tires, but I will say it's nice that they don't feel "mushy" like dedicated winter tires do in 40-50 degree weather. And of course not having to visit the tire shop with the rest of the city in November sure is nice too. If this were a sports car, I would still run dedicated summers and winters, but all-weathers/seasons seem to be fine for a heavy beast like the MYP, which isn't really designed for going around corners quickly with max grip.

Given your situation, I would imagine something like a all-season PS4 may make more sense, but I haven't had firsthand experience with them.

You'll read various accounts of what may get you the best ride, ride quality, and road noise, but I think it's going to be pretty difficult to find a true objective comparison. Once you figure out what class of tire you want (all-weather, performance all-season, etc), I'd just choose whatever is easiest to get/cheapest and I'm sure it will be fine.

Good luck!

I am happy with the combo after a summer of driving, although it is difficult for me to compare to the just 24 hours I had the Uberturbines on. From what I remember, the steering and handling is a tad less sharp which makes sense given the all-weather tires and increased sidewall, but the trade-off is more than worth it for the improved ride quality vs the 21s.

We have not gotten a real snowfall yet in Michigan, so I can't comment on how well they do compare to real winter tires, but I will say it's nice that they don't feel "mushy" like dedicated winter tires do in 40-50 degree weather. And of course not having to visit the tire shop with the rest of the city in November sure is nice too. If this were a sports car, I would still run dedicated summers and winters, but all-weathers/seasons seem to be fine for a heavy beast like the MYP, which isn't really designed for going around corners quickly with max grip.

Given your situation, I would imagine something like a all-season PS4 may make more sense, but I haven't had firsthand experience with them.

You'll read various accounts of what may get you the best ride, ride quality, and road noise, but I think it's going to be pretty difficult to find a true objective comparison. Once you figure out what class of tire you want (all-weather, performance all-season, etc), I'd just choose whatever is easiest to get/cheapest and I'm sure it will be fine.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply, great info. It looks like most (all?) all-seasons are M+S rated, which is good enough to not require chains in r2 conditions here in California -- I thought I'd need the three peaks severe snow service rating, but apparently M+S cuts it. So I think you're right, some high performance all-seasons are probably the way to go.

Now I'm seeing that Michelin makes them in sizes compatible with the Uberturbines, so maybe I'll just stick with the big rims.